Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:41 pm

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
My experiences on recent TATLs from IAD were similar to "globetraveler's":

-The entire process was discombobulated. On both the inbound and outbound the f/as acted as if it was their first flight. The outbound f/as were running around like their hair was on fire, and even then it took between 30 and 45 minutes between services. On the inbound the f/a serving me couldn't find the seats on his menu chart and got every single person in his section's meal wrong.

-The entree presentation is just awful. It looks like a TV dinner. By the time I got my entree on the outbound, it was pretty much cold. On my inbound the green beans were actually burned to the casserole, while the meat was lukewarm. There was spilled sauce all over the outside of the casserole.

-I was told that they were "out" of the wine that I'd asked for, and only had one kind of red. What kind of red was it? I was told it was "the red kind" :/

-On the inbound the dessert cart was rolled out immediately after the entrees had been served. It was as if the f/as either really wanted to go to sleep, or they knew that by the time they got to the back folks would be done and ready.

-Rather than setting up a nice inflight snack area where one was designed to be set up in the front of the cabin, the f/as stored all of the table cloths and spare slippers, along with their half drunk water bottles. They did set up a cart in the mid-galley, but it only had left over cheese and desserts. About 3/4 through the flight they added extra water bottles.

-My traveling companion, who rarely flies with me, and is easily impressed, said "I can't believe anyone would pay $9,000 for this. The food is like cafeteria food, and it's like we're bothering them to be here."
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:55 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
I had today an excellent meal of roast port and potatoes. Fresh salad and some cheesecake for desert. Excellent choice of wines. Very attentive service. Flight attendants came through the aisle several times with water and soft drinks and was asked if I wanted anything from the galley. Great flight experience on LH....
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PaulMCO
I had today an excellent meal of roast port and potatoes. Fresh salad and some cheesecake for desert. Excellent choice of wines. Very attentive service. Flight attendants came through the aisle several times with water and soft drinks and was asked if I wanted anything from the galley. Great flight experience on LH....
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PaulMCO
HAHA. I was like, WOW- but makes sense that it was LH.

Who the **LL is running UA on board catering and wine selections?? Especially given that 90% of the time their Polaris fares are higher than that of their intl (IE. better service) carriers...
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Not to take this OT, but I can hear the "well, you wanted a comfy lie-flat to sleep on and nothing else was nearly as important" excuse from UA. While that is true in the macro view, it was never intended to be at the EXCLUSION of all other J services like meals, beverages, and FA's that give service and not running around feeling grossly overworked.

One of the big benefits of the PL was to "have your meal here and sleep on the plane". I do a lot of TPAC out of SFO. Frankly, the food at the PL is not very good or sufficient to "make up for" the reduced J service in flight. The buffet in the morning is at the level of the other UC's with fruit, bread and no hot options (unless you do sit down) which everyone certainly can't do based on timing/capacity. The afternoon/evening offerings are not much better.

If UA wants to "enhance" the on-board meal and beverage service, then they better roll back the food in the PL to the levels enjoyed at opening. Just my opinion.
EWR764, demkr, MrGood and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
If UA wants to "enhance" the on-board meal and beverage service, then they better roll back the food in the PL to the levels enjoyed at opening. Just my opinion.
I completely agree. I will just add that the food at SFO has sucked since the beginning.
cesco.g, demkr and MrGood like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by CO DCA
My experiences on recent TATLs from IAD were similar to "globetraveler's":

-The entire process was discombobulated. On both the inbound and outbound the f/as acted as if it was their first flight. The outbound f/as were running around like their hair was on fire, and even then it took between 30 and 45 minutes between services. On the inbound the f/a serving me couldn't find the seats on his menu chart and got every single person in his section's meal wrong.

-The entree presentation is just awful. It looks like a TV dinner. By the time I got my entree on the outbound, it was pretty much cold. On my inbound the green beans were actually burned to the casserole, while the meat was lukewarm. There was spilled sauce all over the outside of the casserole.

-I was told that they were "out" of the wine that I'd asked for, and only had one kind of red. What kind of red was it? I was told it was "the red kind" :/

-On the inbound the dessert cart was rolled out immediately after the entrees had been served. It was as if the f/as either really wanted to go to sleep, or they knew that by the time they got to the back folks would be done and ready.

-Rather than setting up a nice inflight snack area where one was designed to be set up in the front of the cabin, the f/as stored all of the table cloths and spare slippers, along with their half drunk water bottles. They did set up a cart in the mid-galley, but it only had left over cheese and desserts. About 3/4 through the flight they added extra water bottles.

-My traveling companion, who rarely flies with me, and is easily impressed, said "I can't believe anyone would pay $9,000 for this. The food is like cafeteria food, and it's like we're bothering them to be here."
Much of the problem is two-fold. First, UA provides minimal basic training for proper F/J service, using the “you’ll learn it in flight” approach, so bad habits are rapidly absorbed. Working in the galley, especially p, takes a practiced hand and is not taught. Coupled with virtually zero supervision and accountability this is what you see. Secondly, while some FA’s love to work up front more do not, and avoid it like the plague. When, such as Reserves, get assigned they often mean well but have no clue, or have no idea the differences between domestic and international service. With the recent implementation of the combined FA contract the former CO international bases were done away with; so, for example, on EWR the former base full of people who wanted to work international and took pride in it, went away and it’s now one big pool. This result was predicted. Until UA actually desires and decides to make substantive improvements in the area it won’t get any better.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
CDG-ORD 17 Feb 1140 am departure

Had the Thai curry chicken (not the same as spicy chicken fka Asian fusion noodle soup). Quite tasty. Came in a bowl so this post-enhancement service was not different from pre-. This is my second post-enhancement flight and I'm not quite getting the hysteria on here but maybe I've just had two good crews. The beef stew midflight snack was offered as a third option for pre-arrival. Thumbs up to that.

Last edited by st530; Feb 17, 2019 at 3:15 pm
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
For me as a non hubber I could not depend on getting to the lounge when leaving the US without taking a long connection , the quality of the on board product for me is what
is important and what I really pay for and value, this is what I base my purchasing decisions on.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by st530
Had the Thai curry chicken (not the same as spicy chicken fka Asian fusion noodle soup). Quite tasty. Came in a bowl so this post-enhancement service was not different from pre-. This is my second post-enhancement flight and I'm not quite getting the hysteria on here but maybe I've just had two good crews. The beef stew midflight snack was offered as a third option for pre-arrival. Thumbs up to that.

Just a small nitpick -- that's the lemongrass chicken, which I had on FRA-SFO today. As your picture evidences, it too is being plated on board, and remains in the old style crockery. This means that there's really little change in the dining service for me, because this and the Thai chicken are what I'm always ordering anyway.

Looks like we had the exact same menu based on the desserts. My only "complaints" on this flight were that the warm nuts were a soft soggy mess, and they either forgot to or chose not to hand out the usual half-damp refreshing towel at the start of the service. Other than that, I'm 2 for 2 on the 77W since the changes.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I had a perfectly serviceable cannelloni and fruit plate on a recent flight ex-Brazil. The ice cream used in the sundae was awful though, tasted like whey protein powder...
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Question: is the "clear" plate plastic or glass? It looks more like plastic, IMHO, from the photos.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Question: is the "clear" plate plastic or glass? It looks more like plastic, IMHO, from the photos.
Glass. The top surface is smooth and the bottom surface is etched.

David
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by DELee
Glass. The top surface is smooth and the bottom surface is etched.

David
Gotcha. Does it feel flimsy or sturdy?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I hope internet travel bloggers can write about the latest round of meal downgrades in the Polaris cabin. I don't think customer emails will make much of a difference because there is no public exposures.

Someone had suggested in an earlier post that TPG should do a piece but it seems TPG may not be objective based on the number of exclusive coverages that UA has granted to TPG in the past couple of years.
Just to defend myself here, my United Polaris Dining: The Sad New State Of Affairs (blog) story got over 70K views. People do care...

Let's see if United maintains the status quo in hopes that our expectations just get dulled further.
UA_Flyer, EWR764, demkr and 7 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.