FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
I am glad that I was able to the experience the Polaris soft product in the first month of its rollout. Sadly it’s gone downhill ever since.
Reminds of my first p.s. flights shortly after product launch: very good food and nice wine selection, including champagne.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764

We need to be sending feedback after every flight. It really sounds unacceptable, and worst-in-class for an international premium product.
When did the changes officially kick in?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
texas gold - It is sad to read your detailed TATL & TPAC accounts. I am always annoyed when it takes one hour to get a first beverage, but 1.5 hours would be a new low. Someone has to be sitting in the second Polaris cabin!
I'm in 1L on my outbound this week and 9L on the return, so looking forward (?!) to see how this plays out. Perhaps my ice cream will be in good shape on the return if I'm the 9th row of dessert service...
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
MEL-LAX
UA99

Boeing 787-9
Meal: Lunch, breakfast

This flight was just today with the pre-plated service. To be fair, I didn't find anything drastically different in terms of food and service. Service-wise, still 2 carts along the aisle doing drinks and dessert service. FA brought out the pre-plated food with tongs. Entire meal took around 2h, same as before; FAs were a bit distrated due to some celebrities on this flight (to the Grammys).

As for the food, I didn't find any noticeable difference in terms of flavor--still mediocre food. Portion-wise it's probably 10% less, and presentation is different (obviously). I was hoping they would use different plates instead of the same domestic first plates which kind of cheapens the Polaris experience.

Overall, service was fine, food was same as usual. My only complaint was that the "champagne" loaded on the flight was a cheap $6 Coastal Vines California sparkling wine.

I don't mind the pre-plating entree as much, but it's clear that some carriers do it well (like AF) and some don't (like UA and even CX).

Menu

Appetizer

Main - took photos of the fish (1st pic below) and the lamb (2nd pic below). I had the fish which was fine.

Dessert - Sundae and a pistachio mousse

Nice that they were handing out Evian water instead of cheap Dasani

Breakfast - cereal and fruits
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:13 pm

Leave it to MEL to make the best of a bad starting hand.

flyme2 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
I think they usually serve Evian on the MEL-LAX?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH2MEL
I think they usually serve Evian on the MEL-LAX?
Generalising -- I think Dasani is ex-US, and to-US is whatever they've got a good deal with local catering on.
IAH2MEL likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:35 pm

Maybe it's how catering is plating the meals before heated, or the plates themselves?
Delta does the same thing, actually has been and it works just fine
Well add to the mix the pissed off f/a's (due to the staffing reduction) and its a recipe for disaster as we've seen in the photos above.
Delta proves it can work though.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hirohito888
My only complaint was that the "champagne" loaded on the flight was a cheap $6 Coastal Vines California sparkling wine.
Same on SYD-SFO last month. FAs explained it is the pre-pour sparkling wine they use for boarding. There was no champagne available, and only one bottle of white that was a Pouilly-Fuisse. The printed menu Chardonnay and Riesling had all been consumed on the outbound. It’s the new normal.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by greenpau
Same on SYD-SFO last month. FAs explained it is the pre-pour sparkling wine they use for boarding. There was no champagne available, and only one bottle of white that was a Pouilly-Fuisse. The printed menu Chardonnay and Riesling had all been consumed on the outbound. It’s the new normal.
Because they don't have wine in Australia?
BeanTownBoy and gcashin like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Because they don't have wine in Australia?
...or maybe the UA wine/champagne purchasing agent[s] get[s] kickbacks from the vendor, in addition to a bonus % from UA on cost savings?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by greenpau
That stuff is disgusting. Embarassing that UA uses it even for PDB. I prefer the domestic prosecco.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
That stuff is disgusting. Embarassing that UA uses it even for PDB. I prefer the domestic prosecco.
+1! I'll take water as the PDB over that stuff any day of the week.
Lynnie_Bee likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:44 am

Many airlines offer sparkling wine as a PDB, none that I can recall offhand serve champagne, although most refer to the beverage as such. Kudos to AC, who perhaps are a bit more PC in referring to the PDB as prosecco. That being said, the champagne served on my EWR-HKG flight was Lanson, and like it or not, it was copiously served, to me at least.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by cricketer
Perhaps my ice cream will be in good shape on the return if I'm the 9th row of dessert service...
That's not been my experience. Despite the meal service taking extraordinarily long, they've still managed to keep the ice cream service at the old standard: rock solid upon serving so you have to wait 20 minutes for it to soften.
TexasAggie02 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.