Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by cerps343
Menu on the 9PM flight from EWR - LHR:
Originally Posted by wco81
So what did you choose and how was it?
Same menu on my Polaris flight a few days ago. Went with the Ginseng Chicken and while it wasn’t bad, it wasn’t as good as the Spicy Chicken bowl that was pretty common over the past year or two. Was tempted by the Cacio y pepe ravioli, but the last ravioli dish that I had ex-EWR (albeit on a p.s. flight) wasn't that good, so decided to avoid.

Last edited by econ; Jul 1, 2019 at 6:16 pm
Old Jul 5, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
UA835 ORD-PVG 6/28/19

After there were vintage Champagnes on my flights last month, I was disappointed that the Champagne on this flight was non-vintage. I had never heard of it: Beaumont des Crayeres. It was just average. I really dislike when for the refills they take my glass to the galley. Who knows, maybe what they served was the California sparkling wine....

I had the seared beef short rib with the Korean-style vinaigrette. The sauce was way too sweet. My wife had the ginseng chicken bowl. She said it was good.......until the moment she bit on a piece of ginseng.

The rustic omelet is not as good as the Southwestern omelet. I was seated too far away from my wife to get the Tabasco that she always brings on the planes. Maybe that would have improved the rustic omelet. She even put some in the chicken bowl.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
UA835 ORD-PVG 6/28/19

After there were vintage Champagnes on my flights last month, I was disappointed that the Champagne on this flight was non-vintage. I had never heard of it: Beaumont des Crayeres. It was just average. I really dislike when for the refills they take my glass to the galley. Who knows, maybe what they served was the California sparkling wine....

I had the seared beef short rib with the Korean-style vinaigrette. The sauce was way too sweet. My wife had the ginseng chicken bowl. She said it was good.......until the moment she bit on a piece of ginseng.

The rustic omelet is not as good as the Southwestern omelet. I was seated too far away from my wife to get the Tabasco that she always brings on the planes. Maybe that would have improved the rustic omelet. She even put some in the chicken bowl.
Taste wise, it should be pretty obvious whether it is the same champagne or a California sparkling. But if there is no discernable difference in the taste, does it truly matter which one it is?
Steve M likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Taste wise, it should be pretty obvious whether it is the same champagne or a California sparkling. But if there is no discernable difference in the taste, does it truly matter which one it is?
So, let's say that since they always served the Champagne out of sight, maybe they always served the Chandon sparkling wine and the Beaumont des Crayeres bottle was just for show in the galley....... And now I gave an average rating to the Beaumont des Crayeres but maybe never tasted it......

This was different service than my flight ORD-HKG last November where the Purser always came to my seat with the bottle in hand.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
So, let's say that since they always served the Champagne out of sight, maybe they always served the Chandon sparkling wine and the Beaumont des Crayeres bottle was just for show in the galley....... And now I gave an average rating to the Beaumont des Crayeres but maybe never tasted it......

This was different service than my flight ORD-HKG last November where the Purser always came to my seat with the bottle in hand.
Admittedly true, I would say the Chandon is pretty recognisable, Though I'd need to researchtthe Beaumont des Crayeres to know if it is an equal bottle in quality. As it is also completely unknown to me.

But as you were talking about the refill happening in the galley, I assumed you saw the first around poured.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Admittedly true, I would say the Chandon is pretty recognisable, Though I'd need to researchtthe Beaumont des Crayeres to know if it is an equal bottle in quality. As it is also completely unknown to me.

But as you were talking about the refill happening in the galley, I assumed you saw the first around poured.
No, the first pour also happened in the background as the bottle was in the other aisle......and my sight is not so good anymore.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, the first pour also happened in the background as the bottle was in the other aisle......and my sight is not so good anymore.
The Internet is not super helpful on the Beaumont des Crayeres, though the pricing in the Japanese market would indicate nothing great, not pure swill either.

I need to try to remember to to look it up in my champagne references when I get home.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by econ
...Was tempted by the Cacio y pepe ravioli, but the last ravioli dish that I had ex-EWR (albeit on a p.s. flight) wasn't that good, so decided to avoid.
Had a ravioli of some kind TATL a couple of months back. Menu description was enticing. Ended up being unbelievably bland. I’m finding it annoying that a UA menu leads to a selection that, when delivered, makes one wish they had chosen something else.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I’ve had Beaumont des Crayeres on and off for the past 30 or so years and always enjoy it. Whilst it’s not Bollinger, it’s still a cut above Moet and other sub-par Champagne. For me it’s also a much better Champagne than Nicolas Feuillate which UA often serves.

On a separate note, I do find Champagne rather astringent on a plane and will usually choose a still wine on the rare occasion that UA has anything decent.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I’ve been staying away from this thread since it just made me sad. The food has really fallen this far? Very glad all my upcoming INTL trips this year (5) are on *partners. UA, the horrid chow at a price that’s close to what your F fare was not too long ago drove me away. My upcoming carriers? ANA, EVA, TAP, LOT, Swiss. Not a UA leg in the bunch.
UA_Flyer and onthesam like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Had a ravioli of some kind TATL a couple of months back. Menu description was enticing. Ended up being unbelievably bland. I’m finding it annoying that a UA menu leads to a selection that, when delivered, makes one wish they had chosen something else.
IME, the ravioli always sucks.
UA_Flyer and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I’ve had Beaumont des Crayeres on and off for the past 30 or so years and always enjoy it.

UA must have bought a considerable stash of it; had it on PEK-EWR a few days ago.

Pretty good, IMO.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
IME, the ravioli always sucks.
Different strokes. Raviolis have been some of my all-time favorite inflight meals. Admittedly my tastes run counter to the popular wisdom. I never much cared for beef or pork (stopped eating both in 1995). I also avoid poultry as much as possible. A notable exception occurred on a SFO to Europe flight a few years back when I tried the tamale-stuffed chicken breast due its legendary reputation here. Meat, starch, and little else—one of the worst meals I’ve ever had anywhere. Don’t get me wrong. I’m fine with the pasta (and kale and quinoa) bashing. I see it as helping ensure I keep getting my first choice every flight.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
SFO-SIN
UA 29 11:25am departure

One good thing about this flight is that the 2nd meal is appropriate to the time of day. Not like so many other flights where you arrive afternoon/evening and end up with a breakfast service. Regarding upthread comments on the ravioli, I would have liked it better if it were dryer. It was swimming in oil

My choice

Seatmate's choice - snuck a photo

Passed on dessert

My 2nd meal - Oily ravioli

Seatmate's 2nd meal
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
NRT-EWR
UA 78, 5:00pm departure

Apologies for the fuzzy menu photos. I had high expectations for the ex-NRT beef (based on upthread comments) but found it a bit overcooked and hard to cut.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.