Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Appears there's still latitude for crews who actually care (NRT) to fine tune both cooking time (medium rare tenderloin) and plating/presentation. As opposed to the absolute minimum possible effort reflected in findark's LHR-EWR dorm food casserole pics.
I've seen some pictures out of FRA which looked like the main was cooked, plated and presented the old way so was curious to what the official policy was on this. Seems NRT is another one.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
It’s hard to tell with super-close-up pictures (does that really make food look more appetizing? Just curious, I see it a lot with meal pics, not just here...) but it would appear st350’s NRT-IAH steak was served in a bowl, which means it would have been plated in the galley by a FA. The presentation is much cleaner and more professional. I wonder if this was just an instance of a galley FA taking things into their own hands to present a better product?

OTOH, the casserole dishes are catered all together and heated at once, so any oils, juices or sauces tend to mix together. If cooked properly, the food is fine, and I haven’t noticed much of a change in portion size, but there’s no question the presentation is worse. IMO, the rounded-off casserole dishes just make it look like a TV dinner. Some airlines have dinnerware that make pre-plated entrees look much better.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by EWR764
It’s hard to tell with super-close-up pictures (does that really make food look more appetizing? Just curious, I see it a lot with meal pics, not just here...) but it would appear st350’s NRT-IAH steak was served in a bowl, which means it would have been plated in the galley by a FA. The presentation is much cleaner and more professional. I wonder if this was just an instance of a galley FA taking things into their own hands to present a better product?

I believe some of the food is still not done in a casserole dish (it depends on the food). Obvious example was the spicy chicken noodle dish that was a "soup" some days.

OTOH, the casserole dishes are catered all together and heated at once, so any oils, juices or sauces tend to mix together. If cooked properly, the food is fine, and I haven’t noticed much of a change in portion size, but there’s no question the presentation is worse. IMO, the rounded-off casserole dishes just make it look like a TV dinner. Some airlines have dinnerware that make pre-plated entrees look much better.
I agree.. even the same-tasting food in those dishes just looks horrible, and it impacts the dining experience.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by findark
I believe some of the food is still not done in a casserole dish (it depends on the food). Obvious example was the spicy chicken noodle dish that was a "soup" some days.
Any main that comes in a bowl (like the spicy/ginseng chicken dishes and pasta) are plated in the galley; basically poured out of the tin from catering. That’s usually 2 of the 4 mains.

The bowls are provisioned in stacks so my guess is the NRT-IAH FA used one of these bowls to provide a nicer customer experience than United aims to offer... the company should take notice!!
Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The bowls are provisioned in stacks so my guess is the NRT-IAH FA used one of these bowls to provide a nicer customer experience than United aims to offer... the company should take notice!!
No coincidence that was ex-NRT.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
No coincidence that was ex-NRT.
Though it very well could have been an IAH (gasp!) flight attendant in the galley...
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:49 am

@MatthewLAX posted two trip reports with mains that look like they were definitely plated and some effort put into presentation. Along with the above NRT pictures, trying to see if United decided to roll their policy back a bit.
https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....ncsico-review/
https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....-class-review/
If you look at the two main, there's no way those were heated from a casserol dish and then plated.
MatthewLAX and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by seat38a
@MatthewLAX posted two trip reports with mains that look like they were definitely plated and some effort put into presentation. Along with the above NRT pictures, trying to see if United decided to roll their policy back a bit.
https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....ncsico-review/
https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....-class-review/
If you look at the two main, there's no way those were heated from a casserol dish and then plated.
The second (chicken dish) is in the bowl which is plated in the galley. The 6" dish (from the first meal) was supposedly discontinued, but perhaps supplies were being depleted (as this was early April, not long after initial rollout). I've had two flights in which steak dishes were served in the new large casserole. Ordinarily, steak is not served in the bowl, which leads me to believe the NRT-IAH flight attendant did something differently (IMO it would be welcome!).
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Over the last couple of weeks I had a salmon with a butter sauce and a chicken with a Bordelaise sauce. Both were served casserole-wise and
the sauces were totally watered down, with the fish/meat "swimming" in it, badly diluting the original flavor of the sauces.

TATL Westboud ex-FRA last week the pre-arrival meal stated pizza and beef stew. The FA offered pizza, cheeseburger or chili - the latter being the
hot-bites inflight snack.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Over the last couple of weeks I had a salmon with a butter sauce and a chicken with a Bordelaise sauce. Both were served casserole-wise and
the sauces were totally watered down, with the fish/meat "swimming" in it, badly diluting the original flavor of the sauces.

TATL Westboud ex-FRA last week the pre-arrival meal stated pizza and beef stew. The FA offered pizza, cheeseburger or chili - the latter being the
hot-bites inflight snack.
Not sure how the sauces get catered but any sauces or liquids really should be kept in their own little aluminum foil ramekins to prevent this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: United 1K
SFO-AMS
Beef short rib: very dry

LIS-EWR
Lemongrass salmon: after running out of everything else on the menu.
Beef stew (breakfast): surprisingly ok

EWR-SFO
Smoked duck (chilled appetizer): nice!
Seared chicken (bordelaise, cauliflower-leek mash): should've gotten the grilled salmon w/ red curry & noodles

hopefully upcoming SFO-ICN, NRT-SFO ones will be better!
narvik likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:31 am

Long time lurker, first time poster in this forum. Our honeymoon trip is coming up 7/9 ORD-SFO-SYD, returning 7/23. I have to admit I've been really disappointed to read about the declines in Polaris service and food since booking the tickets on miles nearly a year ago. Any tips for what to order on these flights from those who have taken it or recent menus? I know also to ask for pajamas and the gel pillows, but any other "secret" Polaris amenities I'm missing? Think it'll help the service if we mention to the FAs the special nature of the trip?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Gel pillow is provided at the seat

You ask for the mattress pad (and pajamas)

And ask for hot bites 6 hours into flight (go to galley and ask)
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by rlschur
Long time lurker, first time poster in this forum. Our honeymoon trip is coming up 7/9 ORD-SFO-SYD, returning 7/23. I have to admit I've been really disappointed to read about the declines in Polaris service and food since booking the tickets on miles nearly a year ago. Any tips for what to order on these flights from those who have taken it or recent menus? I know also to ask for pajamas and the gel pillows, but any other "secret" Polaris amenities I'm missing? Think it'll help the service if we mention to the FAs the special nature of the trip?
Mattress pad is a good ask. If you are very dedicated to meal selection you can scan the thread and memorize some of the dishes - UA basically has the same set of 10-20 dishes that rotate around the system, with flights departing int'l locations sometimes having something unique. SFO-SYD is perfectly timed for sleeping though; at the end of the flight you'll be rested and ready to experience Australia at the start of a new morning

I would not mention it to the FA; a good crew is going to be good anyway, and a bad one will if anything get worse.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rlschur
Any tips for what to order on these flights from those who have taken it or recent menus?
The spicy noodles (sometimes called Thai curry, Asian fusion, or similar) is the best current meal option. Otherwise I order the fish and it's usually okay about 80% of the time. In general, don't expect much from the food and you won't be disappointed.
findark likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.