2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

    Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 17, 19, 12:26 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Jun 4, 19, 3:52 pm
  #586  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Posts: 6,283
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
If you are allergic to mushrooms, you should order a special meal - especially flying out of China where there is a love of mushrooms

I have noticed a sharp uptick in Polaris entrees with mushrooms over the past year or so—not just on transpacific routes. It used to be one entree maximum, then two or three, and has now crept up to all four. It would never occur to me to order a special meal simply for mushroom-avoidance. And is there any guarantee that the special meal wouldn’t have mushrooms? I’m on the verge of starting a “What Is Going On With United and Mushrooms?” thread. Somebody, please talk me out of it.
SS255 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 19, 5:40 pm
  #587  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: SFO
Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 249
I love mushrooms. I hate the fennel that is popping up in all the salads. *blech*
ARR72 and ExplorerWannabe like this.
SFOdelayed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 19, 7:44 pm
  #588  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA 1K&1.88MM, MR lifetime Gold, HZ PC,
Posts: 1,551
Originally Posted by cricketer View Post
I'll be a very happy camper if this menu shows up on SFO-AMS next week. Spicy Chicken and Southwestern Omelette is the ultimate airline food combo (in UA, in business class).
Sadly it was Ginseng Chicken, Ravioli, Short Rib, and Yuan Yaki Salmon on SFO-AMS today.

I had the ginseng chicken after all the positive reviews on here. It was passable, but in no way up to the standards of the Spicy or the Lemongrass. Basically three potstickers with a bit of sauce.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
cricketer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 19, 1:18 am
  #589  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 39,909
Originally Posted by SS255 View Post
I have noticed a sharp uptick in Polaris entrees with mushrooms over the past year or so
Originally Posted by cricketer View Post
Sadly it was Ginseng Chicken, Ravioli, Short Rib, and Yuan Yaki Salmon on SFO-AMS today.
When they finally finished off the turkey pucks, UA must have refilled the warehouses with mushrooms and frozen short ribs bought at a crazy discount.
cricketer and SS255 like this.
Kacee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 19, 7:53 am
  #590  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Jersey
Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,581
Flying UA29 next month (daytime SFO-SIN flight). Given the flight length, is there anything done differently than other ULH flights on meal timing? I take EWR-HKG occasionally and it's usually first meal service right away, FA's disappear, FA's reappear when second meal served 90 minutes before landing, and that's it unless you request a mid-flight snack. I understand SQ does some things differently with meals on their EWR-SIN ULH flight. singapore-airlines-meal-service-longest-flight, and was just wondering if anything was different on this flight. Returning to EWR through NRT, so won't experience the return flight from SIN.
tarheelnj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 19, 7:57 am
  #591  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: BOS<>NYC<>BKK
Programs: UA 4MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Posts: 3,714
Originally Posted by tarheelnj View Post
Flying UA29 next month (daytime SFO-SIN flight). Given the flight length, is there anything done differently than other ULH flights on meal timing? I take EWR-HKG occasionally and it's usually first meal service right away, FA's disappear, FA's reappear when second meal served 90 minutes before landing, and that's it unless you request a mid-flight snack. I understand SQ does some things differently with meals on their EWR-SIN ULH flight. singapore-airlines-meal-service-longest-flight, and was just wondering if anything was different on this flight. Returning to EWR through NRT, so won't experience the return flight from SIN.
I just flew it a few weeks ago (in J) -- and is as you described. Lunch after take-off, another hot meal before landing. There was always an FA in the galley to assist with mid-flight snacks on demand; they were on a cart or for the asking (tomato soup, sandwiches, etc.).
tarheelnj likes this.
wxguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 19, 3:21 pm
  #592  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Posts: 1,221
EWR-FRA
UA960

Boeing 787-10
Meal: Dinner, breakfast

Flight was just under 7 hours and meal service was super fast. Appetizers came right after drinks and nuts were served and everything was wrapped up about 1.5h after takeoff.

Champagne was Lanson.

Menu - very Asian themed menu for a TATL flight: "Korean-style" beef, "Ginseng" chicken, "Thai-style" salmon. They should have substituted pasta with egg or rice noodles to complete the Asian theme.

Appetizer - duck and salad

Main - Korean-style beef, I didn't like it but wanted rice and veggies

Dessert - sundae and apple tart


Skipped breakfast
hirohito888 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 19, 7:28 am
  #593  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: UA 1K, AF Silver, AA PlatPro
Posts: 1,420
Last week, IAD-CDG, the champagne was Piper-Heidsieck 2016. Returning, was Lanson Black Label. Both perfectly fine for me. Incidentally, on the return there was beef tenderloin with Béarnaise, which was pretty good. Nice to have a change from the short rib. The pre-landing was beef stew or the "pizza", which I chose, and was more like a pizza dough base with a little sliced pepper and cheese on top. More of a pizza-flavored piece of bread. That may be because most of the cheese stuck to the foil cover (it was delivered to me with the foil still on top). Kind of inexplicable.
Artpen100 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 19, 9:53 am
  #594  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: LAX
Programs: 1k by marriage
Posts: 16
UA115 SFO - PPT

Super friendly FA’s who were excited to be on this route, many of whom were on it for the first time (I’ve read reviews of this flight that said the FAs weren’t great so maybe they listened). Duck salad I wasn’t going to eat but wife rightly said it was good. Standard salmon, short rib, chicken or ravioli. I had salmon, wife had ribs, both were good. Sundae cart after and they had the little apple pies. Yum, ate way too much.

I was hoping for some sort of Tahiti themed drink or dish but no such luck. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Also had a great experience at both the LAX and SFO Polaris lounges, and went into the cockpit of the 787 and got a picture Crew was excited I came up, said no one does that anymore.

All in all, really positive experience with UA.
jazzhou likes this.
theNjR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 19, 9:53 am
  #595  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 7,215
Originally Posted by Artpen100 View Post
Last week, IAD-CDG, the champagne was Piper-Heidsieck 2016. Returning, was Lanson Black Label. Both perfectly fine for me. Incidentally, on the return there was beef tenderloin with Béarnaise, which was pretty good. Nice to have a change from the short rib. The pre-landing was beef stew or the "pizza", which I chose, and was more like a pizza dough base with a little sliced pepper and cheese on top. More of a pizza-flavored piece of bread. That may be because most of the cheese stuck to the foil cover (it was delivered to me with the foil still on top). Kind of inexplicable.
I have stopped considering any "tenderloin" option on United. Just too variable...and when bad, it is pretty inedible.

I tend to order whichever option sounds like the least likely to be messed up by the cooking process.
In2ishn likes this.
goodeats21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 19, 9:54 am
  #596  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 39,909
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
I have stopped considering any "tenderloin" option on United. Just too variable...and when bad, it is pretty inedible.
I will still order it ex-NRT.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Kacee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 19, 10:00 am
  #597  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 7,215
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I will still order it ex-NRT.
Interesting. Would think it would still be a crap shoot based on who is in the galley...
Ex-NRT, I would be less concerned anyway. Just load up on the best garlic bread in the system. LOL
goodeats21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 19, 12:10 pm
  #598  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Posts: 24,676
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I will still order it ex-NRT.
I second that. Best tenderloin the system.
halls120 and Kacee like this.
MatthewLAX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 19, 3:45 pm
  #599  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Programs: WN AL+/CP, IHG AMB/Plat, HH/Mar Gold, UA Dirt
Posts: 47,063
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Just load up on the best garlic bread in the system. LOL
If only the entire bread basket was garlic bread. I don’t know why they bother with anything else. Mmmm...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 7, 19 at 9:34 pm Reason: repaired quote
uastarflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 19, 5:22 pm
  #600  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 71
I'm flying the 9PM EWR-LHR flight in Polaris in a couple weeks. Anyone have any recent data points for what to expect on the menu?
cerps343 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread