Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by 1kBill
No food pictures, only menus.

Main meal choices

Arrival meal choices

Wine choices.

I had the short rib, which was very good. Service was very good if a little rushed. Champagne was Lanson, but I couldn't see if it was vintage or not. I asked what reds were available (for the beef), and was told a Malbec, the Colby Red Blend and a cab. I asked for the cab, have no idea what it was other than a total fruit bomb.

I slept the rest of the flight so no idea what the snacks were or how he arrival dishes were.
Had the same menu on the same flight a few days earlier. Quite liked the hake although didn’t care for the presentation. Much easier to eat off a plate. Also had Lanson (non-vintage black label). Miss the Laurent-Perrier millésime but the Lanson was fine. Excellent service
Old May 24, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: DL, UA
That’s like saying the seat was comfortable but the cabin was dirty so who cares? I get the point you’re making, I suppose, but mine is that UA is marketing and selling Polaris as a premium product yet they don’t treat it like one. Why not just serve meals on a one and done plastic tray? Or use plastic flatware - you can still eat with it so who cares what it’s made of? Why not take a page from the old US Airways and use plastic glasses in F? You can still drink out of them so who cares what they’re made of?

It’s odd to me how we here in America now seem so quick to accept declining standards and subpar service. Shrug it off, who cares? If we paid a lessened price, perhaps, but when paying for a premium product, whether with money or miles, you should get a level of service and attention to details commensurate with what it costs, I don’t expect a Motel 6 to be like a Ritz, but I sure as heck do not accept a Ritz charging Ritz prices but delivering a product with Motel 6 touches.
rch4u, oopl and benewr like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA GS
Just had the Hamburger Wellington on UA 181 FRA-DEN pre arrival meal. Jimmy Dean? Tiny hamburger patty in puff pastry. Condiments were ketchup, mustard, and butter.
Salad comprised of 3 tiny Mozzarella balls and 4 tiny Tomatoes. UA Polaris experience is on a fast decline.
Had the halibut as first meal and it was inedible.
Old May 24, 2019, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Just had the Hamburger Wellington on UA 181 FRA-DEN pre arrival meal. Jimmy Dean? Tiny hamburger patty in puff pastry. Condiments were ketchup, mustard, and butter.
Salad comprised of 3 tiny Mozzarella balls and 4 tiny Tomatoes. UA Polaris experience is on a fast decline.
I had that last week. I get that the arrival is after noon so they can't serve an omelet or something like that. But I guess they can't serve proper hamburgers which require heating up the patty and reinserting it into the buns either?
Old May 24, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wco81
I had that last week. I get that the arrival is after noon so they can't serve an omelet or something like that.
If they can serve an omelet for an 8:00 PM arrival at HKG they should be able to serve them on that flight. Last year, the Southwest omelet was my Thanksgiving dinner.
MatthewLAX, narvik, Kacee and 2 others like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by ATLintheair
That’s like saying the seat was comfortable but the cabin was dirty so who cares? I get the point you’re making, I suppose, but mine is that UA is marketing and selling Polaris as a premium product yet they don’t treat it like one. Why not just serve meals on a one and done plastic tray? Or use plastic flatware - you can still eat with it so who cares what it’s made of? Why not take a page from the old US Airways and use plastic glasses in F? You can still drink out of them so who cares what they’re made of?

It’s odd to me how we here in America now seem so quick to accept declining standards and subpar service. Shrug it off, who cares? If we paid a lessened price, perhaps, but when paying for a premium product, whether with money or miles, you should get a level of service and attention to details commensurate with what it costs, I don’t expect a Motel 6 to be like a Ritz, but I sure as heck do not accept a Ritz charging Ritz prices but delivering a product with Motel 6 touches.
Personally I don't see why some of the stuff you mention is considered "subpar". Bad tasting food is subpar. A lack of options is subpar. Slow service is subpar. So are surly FA's.

But plastic dinnerware? Serving on one plate instead of two? I am sorry, that's purely psychological.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 7:50 pm

I had both the Halibut and the Hamburger Sphere on FRA-SFO last week. The halibut was so fishy/off in taste that I couldn't finish it. I think I'll have to stop ordering the fish post-catering downgrade as it's really not a protein that has been figured out with the one temperature to rule them all preparation. In general, I'm finding that only the chicken in liquid prep survives this step of prep towards offering nutritional pucks in lieu of a meal that is the next eventual downgrade. Unfortunately chicken in liquid (ginseng/broth/coconut milk/etc.) wasn't available on this particular flight.

The hamburger sphere was weird but I somewhat enjoyed it. I'd love to meet the person that invented this feat of science. I may have been delirious after the long ride.

It doesn't seem like the wine program matches the menu or any direction these days. A random selection of cheap wines was offered on my flight and the menu offerings were not available. The FA's were reluctant to show or mention which wines they had, instead offering the varietal with no other details. I shouldn't have bothered them with the question, I suppose.
Plane-is-home likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by fisherman
The FA's were reluctant to show or mention which wines they had, instead offering the varietal with no other details. I shouldn't have bothered them with the question, I suppose.
My guess is that UA does not require or perhaps even train the FA's to show or otherwise pay any attention whatsoever to the wines they are serving. There are a few (very few) who do.

Do anyone know what are UA's requirements for an FA to work a premium cabin? Are there any other than standard FA training? First world problem, but I once had an FA serve me white wine instead of the requested champagne because she saw the word "Champy" on the label and assumed is was champagne. I don't know if she just didn't notice the lack of bubbles or didn't know. (But as a white wine for United, it wasn't bad! )
Old May 26, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
EWR-EZE 25 May 763 Seat 5A

Good crew. The captain's Spanish was cute. Went with the spicy chicken even though I'm a bit tired of it because the alternative is to risk another casserole-dish fiasco. (I guess the pasta option might not have been pre-plated but I had already had a lot of the tasty tortellini arrabiata in the Polaris Lounge). Did not get a look at the champagne but it was tasty. The spicy southwestern omelet always delivers.

narvik likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
I had both the Halibut and the Hamburger Sphere on FRA-SFO last week. The halibut was so fishy/off in taste that I couldn't finish it.
Had the halibut the other day ex-FRA as well. Mine was excellent: cooked perfectly to be moist, flaky.
The app was a good chicken terrine - a welcome change to the regular offerings.

I passed on the hamburger, instead had the FA serve a 2x-size of the hot bites item, which turned out to be a tasty chili. Still not as great as the beef stew & spaetzle used to be.

The champagne was a nice 2008 (IIRC) vintage Piper. OTOH, the red wine offerings were really subpar.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It doesn't seem like the wine program matches the menu or any direction these days. A random selection of cheap wines was offered on my flight and the menu offerings were not available. The FA's were reluctant to show or mention which wines they had, instead offering the varietal with no other details. I shouldn't have bothered them with the question, I suppose.
The last time the wines served matched the menu was for the few months after the Polaris rollout. Since then, it’s been hit or miss, mostly miss. UA seems unable to master the intricate skill of serving wines that are advertised on the menu. BA, KL, OS, TK, and SK have figured it out - I guess UA can’t.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by halls120
UA seems unable to master the intricate skill of serving wines that are advertised on the menu. BA, KL, OS, TK, and SK have figured it out - I guess UA can’t.
Those airlines all have a single international hub (excepting SK with three smallish ones, ARN, CPH and OSL), so UA's task is more complicated.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Kacee
Those airlines all have a single international hub (excepting SK with three smallish ones, ARN, CPH and OSL), so UA's task is more complicated.
Agree that it's more complicated for UA due to the complexities of multiple hubs and delivering consistency. But SQ is still able to deliver a high quality meal (but no BTC) ex-EWR goes to show that UA just isn't trying very hard. But since I value seat more than food, I can live with the mediocre UA food on-board and eat in the Polaris lounge instead.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Since UA can generally get the right meals to the right flights for all of their hubs, why would it be more difficult to get the right wines to go along with that?
For me, it just shows a lack of effort and will, plus general slonbines in procurement and logistics.

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard this mentioned as a problem for Delta or AA? Might be more comparable operations.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:38 am

Then why don’t they just go back to not printing the kind of wines they intend to serve, like they did at one point recently? All they are doing is embarrassing themselves. And yes, I get it that they have several international departure points, but aren’t they stocking wine and liquor for both out and back flights from the domestic departure points? They can’t manage little bit of consistency from those points ? I mean, come on, they aren’t serving top shelf small quantities - given the amount of wine they buy, it shouldn’t be this hard.

I had to pick an old scab, but before the merger they didn’t seem to have a problem boarding the wine that was advertised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.