FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN

Originally Posted by drowelf
Thats hilarious. A picture would make it a classic worthy of any and all social media for viral treatment.
Ok got my pic to upload...very funny indeed as this was a foreshadowing of my meal and possible merger
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
IAH-GIG 10 April

Nice flight, good crew. Got off to a bad start as I was chastised (the FA later apologized) for trying to move mattress pads (kinda forgot they still had those) from the bin above 6AB (my seat) to the empty bin above 6D. Got the ginseng chicken bowl, which wasn't bad. Seatmate got the short rib and said it was sickeningly sweet. Desserts were particularly yummy, especially the cheese cake (I think I got a double portion). Garlic bread pathetic and cold.

Dhamal and HotelHacker like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
GIG-IAH 14 April 905 pm departure 763 Polaris configured seat 1L

First time on the Polarisized 763. Seat 1L is nice. Even more private than the old 1K in GF on the 763 (but only 2 windows instead of 3 - a clear measure of the difference in space).
Champagne was Piper so that was nice. Despite the salmon appetizer, went with the salmon main. Serviceable. Desserts good as always and the garlic bread was soaked but better than the usual dry version ex-IAH. Skipped breakfast. Good crew.

HotelHacker likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:10 pm

UA950 April 11 to IAD. Crew seemed very young for international. Asked for Express Service. It took over an hour to get drinks and Express Service arrived a few minutes after that. Dessert came probably 90 minutes after take off. Regular diners finished 3 hours after take off! How does that happen on a 7 hour flight? Inexcusable.

Return today BRU-IAD a bit better but only booked to 22/50. It still took 45 minutes to get first drink but service completed a bit more than 2 hours after take off.

Pre arrival meal of salad and chicken ragout was so gross. Salad was actually frozen solid - and who serves mango dressing twice? Does that even go with tomatoes and cucumbers?

The food has really taken a turn lately. It is starting to border on inedible and I'm not too picky about airplane food. The snacks are getting pretty poor too.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: Continental
OMG it's back!

I usually order the beef tenderloin on United, and there are usually a few different forms of it.

I had this one on a flight from HKG-SFO in January.

At first it appears to be filet mignon, but upon further inspection, it appears to be made of of scrap of meat, formed into a patty then covered with sauce to disguise it.

It is truly disgusting!

At the time, I figured, It's HKG catering...

Well, I flew SFO-EWR last night, and ordered the beef tenderloin...

Much to my surprise, the mystery meat is back.

For the first time in 25 years on UACO, I had to sent a meal back. I couldn't even look at it.

Last edited by hockey7711; Apr 17, 2019 at 8:28 am Reason: Additional
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: UA GS
Salisbury Steak?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: Continental
It reminded me of a can of dog or cat food...disgusting scraps of meat off the slaughterhouse floor...
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hockey7711
It reminded me of a can of dog or cat food...disgusting scraps of meat off the slaughterhouse floor...
You can at least admire their ability to use every part, even if it has to pass through a processor. I have never flown UA ex-China (only in), but now i'm excited to give their catering a crack. Air China PEK-YVR was certainly sleep worthy.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockey7711
I usually order the beef tenderloin on United, and there are usually a few different forms of it.

I had this one on a flight from HKG-SFO in January.

At first it appears to be filet mignon, but upon further inspection, it appears to be made of of scrap of meat, formed into a patty then covered with sauce to disguise it.
What was the description of this "meat" in the menu?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
In every respect that "beef" dish is unfit for a premium cabin on a long haul international flight. Disgusting phony meat; vegetables that look like they came from a frozen packet, miniature potato serving. When I see these posts it validates my ungoing resolve never to fly UA as long as there is an alternative. And for long haul there always is. I get stuck from time to time on UA Express (Sky West, actually, which should be named "Sky Worst") but at least I can avoid always the cheapness that characterizes this pathetic airline.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:40 pm

That "tenderloin" and accompaniments are indeed embarrassing in all respects, but why is it on a plate and not a casserole dish per this new era? I thought we were down to bowls for soupy and pasta entrees, and casserole dishes for everything else pre-plated.

EDIT: Just realized that's a domestic run (SRO-EWR). Thought that this was the Polaris business thread.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by st530
That "tenderloin" and accompaniments are indeed embarrassing in all respects, but why is it on a plate and not a casserole dish per this new era? I thought we were down to bowls for soupy and pasta entrees, and casserole dishes for everything else pre-plated.

EDIT: Just realized that's a domestic run (SRO-EWR). Thought that this was the Polaris business thread.
The photo predates the February 1 changeover to the casserole dishes. I've had some nasty beef ex-HKG, so I usually go with the chicken or fish on those flights.

FWIW, now that I've experienced it, I'm not as upset about the new service standard. I thought they'd just be using the domestic plates, but for Polaris the casserole is larger and deeper, so portion sizes aren't much different. It's still a downgrade in terms of presentation, but not the end of the world. Granted, I was on the 77W, which still has a 2nd galley FA position and hasn't had its staffing changed since service entry, but there wasn't any difference in service from my perspective.

I had the ginseng chicken for the first time last week... decent, but not nearly as tasty as the Thai noodle bowl. Here's hoping that makes it back into the rotation soon, I don't care that I've had it a dozen or more times in the past, it's delicious!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by EWR764
I had the ginseng chicken for the first time last week... decent, but not nearly as tasty as the Thai noodle bowl. Here's hoping that makes it back into the rotation soon, I don't care that I've had it a dozen or more times in the past, it's delicious!
Unless you are on a plane with the reduced staffing levels. Last one I had was cold by the time they ran it down the length of the business class cabin, suspended in air by a pair of (not-needed) tongs.

Classy.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Did SFO-FRA on 777-300ER, even without staffing reduction, service was incredibly rushed and frantic as I’ve noticed recently on all my INTL flights.

Meals were pretty terrible across the board, Ginseng chicken was the best bet on the menu but not as good as the chicken noodle preparation as described by another poster above. Companion had beef short rib and it was inedible. Overall presentation of food is pathetic for long haul premium cabin.

Bubby was Laurent Perrier which was about the only highlight of the flight.

Flight attendant demeanor, professionalism etc was all completely unacceptable. I ALWAYS feel like I am walking on egg shells with most INTL crew, this one was exceptionally bad. It was clearly an imposition to even ask for water.

We all need to continue to write in about poor food quality, presentation and of course bad service.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Unless you are on a plane with the reduced staffing levels. Last one I had was cold by the time they ran it down the length of the business class cabin, suspended in air by a pair of (not-needed) tongs.

Classy.
To be fair I haven't yet been on an airplane with reduced staffing (in Polaris) so I'll reserve my total judgment but I was expecting the worst and my experience was a bit better than I was girding for.

I will say I've never hesitated to send entrees back for more heating, especially on a long haul flight. FAs are usually understanding IME.
BlueSky72 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.