2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 16, 19, 1:29 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 20, 19, 10:12 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat; Hyatt Discoverist; Marriott Titanium; Hertz Pres Cirlce
UA 78
EWR-NRT
Polaris Business

I had the beef which was delicious. Champagne game was definitely improved but they only had a few bottles of the Laurent-Perrier.

EWR764 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 19, 11:33 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Amidst the negative changes, the improvement in Champagne quality should be praised. Credit where due... that's a change I like!
BeanTownBoy likes this.
Old Mar 20, 19, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 View Post
Yikes, having a sundae right after breakfast? IMHO, UA should hold the sundae until after the prearrival meal...or does the dry ice logistics not make this possible?
I had this on the early LHR-SFO flight as well. TBH, by the time breakfast is done, it's veering into lunchtime and I love ice cream, so personally, I didn't mind.
Old Mar 20, 19, 12:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Was also wondering if the breakfast EWR-LHR (8:30am) flight gets sundaes? What should I expect on this flight in terms of meal service in J? Brunch service with breakfast and lunch options, then sundaes/cheese/treats, or a full breakfast service, then prearrival dinner with sundae service?
Old Mar 20, 19, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K&1.88MM, MR lifetime Gold, HZ PC,
Pretty mediocre dining experience on LHR-LAX earlier this week. I opted for the fish, which would have been nice had it not been quite so dry. Fish has usually been a reliable option for me on UA, but it's been a long time since I've had anything other than the Spicy Chicken or the Lemongrass Chicken, and this was a disappointing comedown. The ice-cream sundae was better than the ex-US ice-cream, so there's that at least. Arrival service I just nibbled at the cheese and slice-of-cantaloupe plate as I had time to kill in the Polaris Lounge before my connection.

Glad I had that lunchtime departure -- while I don't fly for the food, breakfast as the core meal on a long-haul is rarely a great experience.
Old Mar 21, 19, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Flew EWR->HKG this week. Changes to Polaris were pretty obvious.

Had the Thai Spicy chicken, so didn't get stuck with one of the casserole meals, but it was cold by the time it was served to me. Pretty obvious the crew was having trouble delivering all the meals from the front galley. Nothing like seeing the purser carrying a casserole dish by the tong/holder thing in the air, all the way from the front galley to row 10.

Noticed they finally got rid of the buttons on the pillow case as well. That one was probably a long time coming....
Old Mar 24, 19, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
My suggestion is to write in to UA (1kvoice, the GS line or use United.com/feedback) and let them know about the food and service. I did so and Customer Care called the next day with sympathy and asking for more information. They want to get feedback to “the right people” in the hope of getting some improvements made.
Old Apr 1, 19, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Diamond/Marriott Plat
UA 975 GVA-IAD March 2019
1040 departure
B767-300 w Polaris seats

onthesam likes this.
Old Apr 1, 19, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by TWA Guy View Post
UA 975 GVA-IAD March 2019
1040 departure
B767-300 w Polaris seats

That looks like a tiny portion for the main... and the Champagne definitely is a cut or two below the usual $40-50/btl standard we have seen lately. Why must it be such a moving target?
Old Apr 1, 19, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
That looks like a tiny portion for the main... and the Champagne definitely is a cut or two below the usual $40-50/btl standard we have seen lately. Why must it be such a moving target?
It retails around $25 - which means it would be $75 in a restaurant.
Old Apr 1, 19, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by milepig View Post
It retails around $25 - which means it would be $75 in a restaurant.
Right... at the same pricing standard, UA inflight Polaris cabin Champagne has lately been around $40-50/bottle. That's not reflective of wholesale/volume pricing airlines benefit from, but allows some consistency in comparison.

For what it's worth, Beaumont des Crayeres seems to review well, though I haven't tried it.
Old Apr 1, 19, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K3MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
the Champagne definitely is a cut or two below the usual $40-50/btl standard we have seen lately. Why must it be such a moving target?
I'm not sure if I have had it - did you not like it? It is rated fairly well online - I've never thought the price of the bottle equates to how well it tastes, in my opinion
Old Apr 1, 19, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
I'm not sure if I have had it - did you not like it? It is rated fairly well online - I've never thought the price of the bottle equates to how well it tastes, in my opinion
I wholeheartedly agree, and I haven't tried Beaumont des Crayeres, but it does review well. I'm more interested in what United is budgeting for various elements of the service. While there certainly are gems at lower price points, I think the $40-50 range (retail) is a reasonable level for NV Champagne in international business class, at which there are a pretty wide variety of high-quality, consistent pours comparable to what other well-regarded carriers serve.

Lately we've seen some higher-end Champagnes loaded on Polaris flights, so I am hopeful that trend continues.
Old Apr 2, 19, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
They let you take pics of the champagne bottle?

Flying SFO-LHR later this month, so I'll try to remember to take some pics.
Old Apr 2, 19, 3:26 am

Programs: united
I wholeheartedly agree, and I haven't tried Beaumont des Crayeres, but it does review well. I'm more interested in what United is budgeting for various elements of the service. While there certainly are gems at lower price points, I think the $40-50 range (retail) is a reasonable level for NV Champagne in international business class, at which there are a pretty wide variety of high-quality, consistent pours comparable to what other well-regarded carriers serve.

Lately we've seen some higher-end Champagnes loaded on Polaris flights, so I am hopeful that trend continues.
So let me get this straight- you literally don't care if the Champagne tastes good, but want to enjoy the symbolism of United spending perhaps more money than it needs to in delivering a good product?

If the Champagne tastes good, it IS good! You can't drink a price tag!!!!
CPH-Flyer likes this.

Search this Thread