Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Had soy-glazed chicken on NRT-EWR this evening. T was quite solid. As for portions being smaller, I don’t mind - I have always felt the portions were too large anyways.
One thing to also note on this flight was that the entire wine selection was miscatered - none of the wines provided matched the ones on the menu. Why even bother providing a wine description if that happens...?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

One thing to also note on this flight was that the entire wine selection was miscatered - none of the wines provided matched the ones on the menu. Why even bother providing a wine description if that happens...?
Were the miscatered wines better or worse than the selection described on the menu? If better, the menu description gives you a benchmark to feel superior about. Sort of like winning the GPU lottery. If worse, the listing gives you something to complain about to "United Cares".
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 2MM

Other airlines seem to be able to manage this, and in many cases produce beautiful, multicolored menus and wine lists and descriptions. And UA never lists the champagne on their wine list either.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by transportprof
Were the miscatered wines better or worse than the selection described on the menu? If better, the menu description gives you a benchmark to feel superior about. Sort of like winning the GPU lottery. If worse, the listing gives you something to complain about to "United Cares".
I was told there was a Syrah, a Cab, and a red wine from California. Hard to benchmark off of those descriptions...
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I was told there was a Syrah, a Cab, and a red wine from California. Hard to benchmark off of those descriptions...
Right you are! I would have insisted on trying each of the mystery wines in that case. I've found that there are occasionally some real stars among these bottles. But most are dogs that were surplus (and on sale) for that month.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Sadly, the spicy Thai noodles were gone from my flight to Beijing. Replaced with a lemongrass ginger chicken with pot stickers. I ordered it hoping it was a close facsimile thereof. NOPE. My goodness was it horrible. I love flavor and spice, but all you could taste was very overpowering ginger and equally over-fragrant lemongrass. (I like both ginger and lemongrass, but this was unbearable).

I don’t send back food—airplane or restaurant. But asked for some paper napkins and quietly wiped the sauce off of my dumplings and chicken. That being said, once I did, I rather enjoyed the dumplings (they called them pot stickers—being pedantic, they were not pot stickers, they never saw a hot pan and were not crispy or ‘burnt’ at all, they were more just like jiaozi). The chicken was “meh” at best.

I later overheard the F/As talking about the “new fish dish”. I almost ordered it, and after their comments praising it, I wish it would have.

Salad was incredibly small and wilted. Seared tuna appetizer was good, and the sundae and dessert bites were definitely the highlights.
Seared tuna is a huge improvement from the salmon appetizer. Re: dessert bites I noticed they switched from apple pie to cherry pie. I had remembered the apple pie being warm, but the cherry wasn't.

Good to know about the pot stickers. They sounded good, but I opted for the fish which didn't disappoint. There were two fish dishes on my menu. I took a photo but it somehow didn't make it to my saved photos. Will try next time I take this route.

I don't know what kind of 'champagne' they are serving on this flight but it's absolute trash.

Also, and this is probably not meant for this, but why after serving food do the flight attendants all go hide in the galley and not continue beverage service? Just because you've handed out bottles of water doesn't mean that people only want a bottle of water for the remainder of a 14 hour flight. I had to go into the galley 3 times (crossing over my seat mate) to request more sparkling water.
MBS MillionMiler likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by 100% Green
I had to go into the galley 3 times (crossing over my seat mate) to request more sparkling water.
Most report that the call button is effective for such requests.
MatthewLAX and artvandalay like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Actually sounds like you ended up with a smattering of the Polaris First wines that they are running down inventory on. These have only been showing up in the Old F cabin of the 3-class 772, so that’s quite a win
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by greenpau

Actually sounds like you ended up with a smattering of the Polaris First wines that they are running down inventory on. These have only been showing up in the Old F cabin of the 3-class 772, so that’s quite a win
They seem like the same ones I had on my IAD-ZRH flights (biz) on a 787 in October & November. The California red is a “cuvée”, which I wasn’t fond of.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was very impressed with FA meal service on NRT-SFO this past week. Beef Tenderloin was cooked medium rare and beautifully plated. Really showed how careful attention by FAs can improve the meal quality and experience. NRT based crew.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
I was very impressed with FA meal service on NRT-SFO this past week. Beef Tenderloin was cooked medium rare and beautifully plated. Really showed how careful attention by FAs can improve the meal quality and experience. NRT based crew.
Did it look like this? Love catering ex-NRT!

Dhamal, narvik and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Did it look like this? Love catering ex-NRT!

Exactly!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Did it look like this?
Exactly!
THAT is amazing!
I stopped choosing the beef dish ex-PEK a long time ago. But this is proof that it CAN be done with the right people and circumstances.
Just amazing!

(....would this survive pre-plating??)
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Slightly OT, but how do you know which crew base? It seems it's been a while since I've heard any crew announce their base on arrival (which is what I used to take note of).

Originally Posted by narvik
THAT is amazing!
I stopped choosing the beef dish ex-PEK a long time ago. But this is proof that it CAN be done with the right people and circumstances.
Just amazing!

(....would this survive pre-plating??)
No chance!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Slightly OT, but how do you know which crew base? It seems it's been a while since I've heard any crew announce their base on arrival (which is what I used to take note of).
Well I'm assuming because they were Japanese. Which also explains the care taken in heating and plating
MatthewLAX, Air Houston and MrGood like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.