Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Just to defend myself here, my United Polaris Dining: The Sad New State Of Affairs (blog) story got over 70K views. People do care...
Thanks for sharing this! UA has been doing such an awful job recently. I've flown TK quite a bit for work, and they definitely value the dining service highly so much so that it takes over 2 hours! When going back to UA, becomes barely digestible!
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM
No feedback

Just noting: Before Feb 1, 2019 I received a customer feedback email after virtually every Polaris flight across at least 2+ years. Since Feb 1, I’ve received none after my 3 Polaris flights. Perhaps they know in advance what I’ll say about the crappy ‘new’ food service served by demoralized crews...
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: UA
Flew to GRU on Saturday and the service was quite good. I had the Thai Curry Chicken and it was good (not great, but better than the shortrib). I was pleasantly surprised the Champagne was Laurent-Perrier Brut Millesime 2007 (2007 not being the best year in Champagne, it's still better than NV Nic Feuillatte).
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by ual1960
Just noting: Before Feb 1, 2019 I received a customer feedback email after virtually every Polaris flight across at least 2+ years. Since Feb 1, I’ve received none after my 3 Polaris flights. Perhaps they know in advance what I’ll say about the crappy ‘new’ food service served by demoralized crews...
I still get them, as recently as my last UA flight on February 9. I used to love the short ribs, but they've become a bit stringy, and the sides are hopelessly overcooked. This month I flew LX, BR, EK, LH and TK. Their catering was better, some by quite a bit Tomorrow I'll be sampling Polaris catering ex HKG. I'm not quite sure what to expect. Perhaps it'll be time to follow my diet.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Jaysonb22
I was pleasantly surprised the Champagne was Laurent-Perrier Brut Millesime 2007 (2007 not being the best year in Champagne, it's still better than NV Nic Feuillatte).
I was unpleasantly surprised that on my recent flights (SFO-ICN, PVG-LAX) the "champagne" was a California sparkling wine called Coastal Vines.

I don't have a problem with California sparklers as long as they are good, but this one was utterly forgettable. Perhaps they are trying to make the selection so bad, people will stop drinking any of it, then the response will be something along the line of "due to customer response ..."
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Jaysonb22
Flew to GRU on Saturday and the service was quite good. I had the Thai Curry Chicken and it was good (not great, but better than the shortrib). I was pleasantly surprised the Champagne was Laurent-Perrier Brut Millesime 2007 (2007 not being the best year in Champagne, it's still better than NV Nic Feuillatte).
Wow - you are so lucky. On a recent TPE-SFO flight, champagne was Devaux, but they ran out during the dinner service.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Flew round trip SFO/LHR and the flight crews were remarkably better in both directions than previous FRA flights last week. Maybe it was luck, but what a difference good service makes!

Also, I was pleasantly surprised to see Laurent-Perrier Brut Millesime 2007 was boarded which was a nice treat for UA. They did however run out of it pretty quickly, at which point they had some other no name Champagne which didn't taste so great. I'm wondering if they board the cheaper stuff for PDB's? Either way, they should board enough to serve a few rounds- so ridiculous that they always run out. Maybe if their other wines were decent, more people would switch to the wines after a glass of the bubbly. Wines this month are terrible- the whites are not drinkable in my opinion.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 1kBill
I was unpleasantly surprised that on my recent flights (SFO-ICN, PVG-LAX) the "champagne" was a California sparkling wine called Coastal Vines.
That’s the pre-pour sparkling they use for the PDBs. It’s showing up a fair bit lately on the cart because there’s often only one or two champagne bottles loaded.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM
Rock Bottom?

I'm posting this from aboard my westbound TATL flight today. This is now the worst business-class catering I have ever encountered on United. Shameful. Prior to Feb 1, I often thought 'that was pretty good' after a meal, even as the relentless cutbacks were evident. Now I'm simply offended and feel that Oscar, Scott et all are laughing it up while we shell out for this garbage (and collecting their yearend bonuses based on exceeding cost-saving targets...)
One joy of the slow inflight wifi is checking the prices of the wines on offer. None of today's selections costs more than US$12 a bottle online.

UA couldn't even deliver the slices of smoked salmon on the menu today. Instead it was two slices of mozzarella and two slices of cardboard out-of-season tomatoes. Based on my own work in catering, I'd guess the unit price for this dish was +/- US$0.37.

Main was 'roasted halibut' which I'll call halibut flakes. There was exactly four bites on this pre-plated 'main'. I'll be charitable and say that the fish bone sticking out was there to give the flakes some authenticity.
artvandalay and twomonger like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Write to UA if you hope that they will change this practice.
MrGood likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Worst catering ever on an 9:20am LHR-SFO flight (that was delayed until noon).

Not only weren't any of the wines drinkable, but it was a BREAKFAST flight with only 3 options for the take-off service (french toast, English breakfast, or eggs and steak) and 2 options for pre-landing (chicken breast or charcuterie).

Seat mate doesn't eat pork or beef (and avoids bread), so the only thing she could eat the entire flight was the tiny chicken breast.
The woman behind me did not eat land meat or gluten, so there was literally nothing she could eat the whole flight.

Is it normal for there not to be some kind of fish/seafood option on an 11 hour flight?
Also, many of those around me commented that it was extremely cheap to serve breakfast and not a proper lunch/dinner service on this flight...
This would be forgivable on a TATL to the East Coast, but to the West Coast?!
Even the FA went around apologizing for that!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:45 am

Who is expecting lunch for a 9:20am departure?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by Meola10
Who is expecting lunch for a 9:20am departure?
I would have been fine with breakfast if they served a real pre-arrival meal. But it does feel cheap to just serve eggs and a 2oz chicken breast on a supposedly premium route like LHR-SFO.

Plus, at the speed that it takes for them to serve the food, it would not usually be until 11am (or 130pm in our case because of our delay) that you really get served the departure meal.

Finally, this is United we are talking about. They serve breakfast ahead of an 8pm arrival in Hong Kong...
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1k
Flew CDG-SFO yesterday. omelette/french toast/steak and eggs/euro breakfast for options. Its basically the same menu and a drop in the actual food quality over the last 18 months (probably more).
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
I would have been fine with breakfast if they served a real pre-arrival meal. But it does feel cheap to just serve eggs and a 2oz chicken breast on a supposedly premium route like LHR-SFO.

Plus, at the speed that it takes for them to serve the food, it would not usually be until 11am (or 130pm in our case because of our delay) that you really get served the departure meal.

Finally, this is United we are talking about. They serve breakfast ahead of an 8pm arrival in Hong Kong...
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
Worst catering ever on an 9:20am LHR-SFO flight (that was delayed until noon).

Not only weren't any of the wines drinkable, but it was a BREAKFAST flight with only 3 options for the take-off service (french toast, English breakfast, or eggs and steak) and 2 options for pre-landing (chicken breast or charcuterie).

Seat mate doesn't eat pork or beef (and avoids bread), so the only thing she could eat the entire flight was the tiny chicken breast.
The woman behind me did not eat land meat or gluten, so there was literally nothing she could eat the whole flight.

Is it normal for there not to be some kind of fish/seafood option on an 11 hour flight?
Also, many of those around me commented that it was extremely cheap to serve breakfast and not a proper lunch/dinner service on this flight...
This would be forgivable on a TATL to the East Coast, but to the West Coast?!
Even the FA went around apologizing for that!
One thing about this is if a passenger's food preferences go beyond preferences to literal "i can't eat" a large list of foods, you have to start thinking about calling UA and ordering a special meal, even in Polaris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.