FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greenpau
Same on SYD-SFO last month. FAs explained it is the pre-pour sparkling wine they use for boarding. There was no champagne available, and only one bottle of white that was a Pouilly-Fuisse. The printed menu Chardonnay and Riesling had all been consumed on the outbound. It’s the new normal.
greenpau, please write in to CS. As a GS there is a better chance, that this complaint will get an open ear!
EWR764, demkr, goodeats21 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Steve M
That's not been my experience. Despite the meal service taking extraordinarily long, they've still managed to keep the ice cream service at the old standard: rock solid upon serving so you have to wait 20 minutes for it to soften.
Maybe if they "pre-dished" it with the hot fudge sauce it would be soft by the time it was delivered.
cranky1K likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
So embarrassing to see all the cuts to Polaris, which seems to now be reduced to domestic F service, with bits and pieces added. Reminds me of AA in 2014 after the merger; they've since then walked back a vast majority of cuts and now has a pretty decent J/F product.

I remember when Polaris was first shown... I was blown away. It was truly premium and made UAL unique. Heck, even their website still shows the product as premium, including (now-misleading) meal photos. Really sad to see how far things has fallen in the past 3 years.
3 Years? It's barely been 2! December 1, 2016.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Those pre-plated main courses look like what economy was many years ago. Frankly disgusting and low class, but I guess that is UA's style these days.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Because they don't have wine in Australia?
All Polaris flights are round-trip catered with alcohol from the US ... that’s why we are seeing shortages on all return flights. What is served on the return is what is left from the outbound. This is at the core of the problem.
restlessinRNO and BeanTownBoy like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
All Polaris flights are round-trip catered with alcohol from the US ... that’s why we are seeing shortages on all return flights. What is served on the return is what is left from the outbound. This is at the core of the problem.
Yes, I was pointing out how ridiculous that is
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
A
Originally Posted by cesco.g
greenpau, please write in to CS. As a GS there is a better chance, that this complaint will get an open ear!
I keep writing about it every flight, and I brought it to the top at an event. I encourage everyone to do the same. I actually received a well-researched response that explained the wine is purchased in bulk every quarter, and apparently due to cost-saving and high levels of waste they piloted and then fully rolled out a program where alcohol is round trip catered.

FAs have told me they are now instructed to open wines on demand rather than uncork them all before going down the aisle, and then share wines across aisles rather than having duplicate bottles on food carts. I’m fine with minimizing wasteage, but they have to get a handle on consistent provisioning for a flight — either lock down the carts for the returns or do some replenishment at the out stations.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I agree. So how difficult is it to stock up on the many fine Australian wines when the planes land in SYD & MEL? This might even reduce the weight of the outbound flights! It just seems there is no will at UA headquarters to address this issue. I might add that flights USA-Australia are around $7K in C these days!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: United GS Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
here is the sandwich option hack

Hack for UA 48
GRB051111 and wpcoe like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 9, 2019 at 4:59 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
How can UA management keep straight faces going back on their Polaris launch statement of “game changer!”

Hello Oscar?

EWR764, rch4u, MatthewLAX and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat
2/8/19 UA40 EWR - FCO Menu, was not able to reach camera when food arrived. Did express dining.....chose the Ravioli and it was frozen except the edges. I ate the salad and the shrimp from the app. While they were edible, definitely not memorable. Shrimp had a little too much lemongrass for my taste. Skipped cheese and dessert (they had the caramel chocolate squares) and opted for sleep. Wine selection was not on the menu and couldn't find one at my seat, but looked to be standard choices. Had a glass of the red blend. There was an Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc on the cart which is at least drinkable. Couldn't see the rest. PDB sparkling wine was worse than I could have imagined from the descriptions here, will not make that mistake twice. Glad I listened to reports here about the food at least and had a proper meal at the Polaris Lounge before departure. Saved the day. Had the fruit and cereal for breakfast. Eggs looked fine, just not my thing.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Lynnie_Bee
2/8/19 UA40 EWR - FCO ... Wine selection was not on the menu and couldn't find one at my seat, but looked to be standard choices. Had a glass of the red blend. There was an Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc on the cart which is at least drinkable.
$10 at total Wine.

Last edited by 1kBill; Feb 10, 2019 at 10:15 am
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Had the new (1st February onwards) Polaris breakfast offering today out of LHR and it was atrocious, along with the service to go with. The “Steak and Eggs” was a small pan of some steamed slop which wouldn’t be ok on a domestic flight. Inedible. Very slow service and a poor galley person literally running up and down the aisle between the forward and mid galleys as they now only one person covering both. I gave up and had the anytime hot snack instead which was much better since the breakfast was a bust.

For the arrival service, they completely forgot to serve me. Call bell and light on for 20 minutes before I was able to flag down a flight attendant, only to get a rushed and similarly bad food offering. Before landing the purser stopped by to apologize and asked to please please please provide feedback to United as they hate the situation they’re in. They see the preplated food as poor quality and being forced to do service with reduced staff makes the customer suffer.

EWR764 and zeer0 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Praying that my 2 month downtime will result in a correction.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
One piece of good news to report from UA 58 SFO-FRA. Just finished chowing down on an excellent bowl of the Spicy Thai Chicken. Same bowl as before, and was apparently plated on board. Unlike everything else, by the looks of things. Tasted as good as ever.

No issues with pace of service - though being in 1L I'm done ahead of time - just waiting on the ice cream now... and to cap off my lucky day, the ice cream arrived at row 1 in perfect condition - cold, solid, but creamy and effortlessly scoopable.

Identical menu to the EWR-FCO above, incidentally (apart from German rather than Italian, of course).

Last edited by cricketer; Feb 9, 2019 at 6:49 pm Reason: ice cream update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.