Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
So did I miss the news about the baked aboard chocolate chip cookies being cut? I haven't seen those in a while.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by seat38a
So did I miss the news about the baked aboard chocolate chip cookies being cut? I haven't seen those in a while.
They seemed to be cut sometime late last year, or perhaps "rotated out indefinitely". TCON arrival service was replaced with the Polaris tarts (at least as of my last flights) and midcons were earlier changed from frozen desserts and cookies to the cheesecakes and other things showing up. Around the same time, sorbets were cut from TCON Lunch as well. I heard a report this week there was a cookie served on a TCON in lieu of ice cream (Breakfast code) so it might be out there somewhere yet.
seat38a likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by findark
They seemed to be cut sometime late last year, or perhaps "rotated out indefinitely". TCON arrival service was replaced with the Polaris tarts (at least as of my last flights) and midcons were earlier changed from frozen desserts and cookies to the cheesecakes and other things showing up. Around the same time, sorbets were cut from TCON Lunch as well. I heard a report this week there was a cookie served on a TCON in lieu of ice cream (Breakfast code) so it might be out there somewhere yet.
You're a little off. My last heated cookie photo on a domestic flight is April 2017. Shortly thereafter it's all pre-plated cheesecakelets. EDIT: midcons only in the sample.

Last edited by st530; Aug 12, 2019 at 12:21 pm
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Had baked on board cookies in both directions LAX-HNL last month. These islands always seem to be a bit behind the mainland - in a good way!
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Noticing a decline in the vending machine basket lately. This weeks flight on an E175 and the basket was only half full, and only had 4 selections...most of which were the pretzel packets.

A couple little packs of gummy bears and choco-almonds and 2 sad looking bananas were the other items.

Not even any potato chips.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Noticing a decline in the vending machine basket lately. This weeks flight on an E175 and the basket was only half full, and only had 4 selections...most of which were the pretzel packets.

A couple little packs of gummy bears and choco-almonds and 2 sad looking bananas were the other items.

I flew BUR-SFO which featured a full snack basket with 8 items, so it must be route dependent.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by st530
You're a little off. My last heated cookie photo on a domestic flight is April 2017. Shortly thereafter it's all pre-plated cheesecakelets. EDIT: midcons only in the sample.
For TCON looks like cuts set in sometime mid-June 2018.

03-Jun-18: Lunch, Sorbet and cookie served
29-Jun-18: No arrival service (also nothing on my redeye earlier)
07-Oct-18: Lunch, ice cream instead of sorbet and no arrival service
13-Jan-19: Lunch, ice cream and still no arrival service (3rd consecutive SFO-DCA flight) - FA claims IAD is different
31-Jan-19: Polaris tart arrival service on DCA (same month, same mealset)

...and from there the Polaris tarts were coming standard on Lunch and Dinner TCON flights.

One thing I will give Delta is in 3 midcons so far I've seen 6 different meals and 3 different desserts. Variety in the UA mealset has been brutally cut since 2017.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I flew BUR-SFO which featured a full snack basket with 8 items, so it must be route dependent.
I would bet less route-dependent, and more poor execution on the operations side.
Also seems to be worse when leaving outstations. So probably not loading enough at the hubs to reliably accommodate all the passengers for all the flights before restocking.
Or a mix of both.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by goodeats21

Those choco-almonds are delicious!
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:09 am

Apologies for asking rather than posting (but promise to post after my trip!):

I'll be flying SAN-IAH,IAH-DCA in a few weeks in first class. The flight from SAN has lunch service, which I saw varies based on whether the flight is 3 hours long. This one's scheduled for 3:12 - is that what counts, or is it the expected flying time?

Assuming it counts as 3+ hours, can I expect the meals to be exactly the same as the dinner I'll get on the next flight to DCA, or do they try to vary them across flights?

Lastly, I can't get a special meal on these flights and don't eat meat, and from reading this thread I notice the choice is often "chicken or chicken." Do they ever carry anything extra? Can I ask for the BOB stuff from coach instead of the entree?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yonatan

I'll be flying SAN-IAH,IAH-DCA in a few weeks in first class. The flight from SAN has lunch service, which I saw varies based on whether the flight is 3 hours long. This one's scheduled for 3:12 - is that what counts, or is it the expected flying time?

Assuming it counts as 3+ hours, can I expect the meals to be exactly the same as the dinner I'll get on the next flight to DCA, or do they try to vary them across flights?

Lastly, I can't get a special meal on these flights and don't eat meat, and from reading this thread I notice the choice is often "chicken or chicken." Do they ever carry anything extra? Can I ask for the BOB stuff from coach instead of the entree?
It is actually an unpublished block time that determines meal service. Both SAN-IAH and IAH-DCA are blocked long enough to get a meal, assuming scheduled during a meal time. (UA meal times)

They only carry two options in First, and yes often they involve chicken. You can request a snackbox (or Bistro meal if the flight has it) as alternative, and usually the FA doesn't make a fuss in fulfilling the request.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by yonatan

The cold option (e.g., salad, soba noodle) has the protein plated to the side so vegetarians can still have the meatless bowl. Or as poster above says, ask for snack box or BOB.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
SFO-EWR
UA295

Boeing 787-10
Meal: Breakfast

Terribly slow domestic meal service due to the understaffed crew on domestic 787-10 flights. 3 FA served the entire business cabin, I was in 11L, it took 1h45min after takeoff until I got my meal.

Menu (forgot to take pic), choices were: quiche, pancake, cereal.

Pancake
seat38a likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:21 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Is it just me or is United prettying up the fruit bowls? I've noticed last couple of flights and from the picture above, they aren't just throwing a bunch in a bowl and calling it a day.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Is it just me or is United prettying up the fruit bowls? I've noticed last couple of flights and from the picture above, they aren't just throwing a bunch in a bowl and calling it a day.
Maybe it's because it's summertime - peak fruit harvest season. See what those bowls look like in December and get back to us!
AeRoSpaceman and seat38a like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.