Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Good eye!
I think all of us FT'ers need to develop a good eye in this respect, just to ensure this airline only improves its catering over time. If nobody speaks up, they'll grab the red pen and start slowly reverting backwards. Then the only eluding thing about First/Business will be the seat itself, which they'll likely start downgrading, too! Yeah, no thanks!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
UA 589 IAH-IAD, 3/13/19
A320

I fully expected my late lunch on this flight to come from the BoB menu--bad weather in Austin delayed my AUS-IAH flight by two hours, ensuring I'd miss my earlier IAH-IAD flight on which my upgrade had cleared into a Polaris seat. But although F showed full, an FA came back to pluck me out of row 12 at the end of boarding.

(The printed boarding pass that the UC agent in AUS handed me listed a Y fare, but the online account shows my originally-booked W fare. Does the system now reset that after a flight?)

I missed the PDB on account of that late upgrade, and the service on this flight didn't include a starter of warm nuts. Choices for lunch were chicken salad or chicken with Thai noodles, but the salad was gone by the time the FA got to me. I said I was already planning on getting the noodles and joked that "everything tastes like chicken," which got a laugh out of her. The noodles were great--that spicy peanut sauce is something I make at home fairly often--and I have never not liked a pretzel roll at 32,000 feet. The white wine, however, was some buttery, oaky stuff that I didn't care for, so I switched to red that wasn't that much better, and I should have gotten a beer instead.

The chocolate cheesecake looked delicious, but I gave up chocolate for Lent and I was pretty much full by then anyway. After a badly-needed nap, I had a Buffalo Trace on the rocks and reflected that it was nice to have an upgrade clear on a domestic flight longer than two hours for the first time since (checks notes) September.

Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA503 SFO-EWR March 14 noon departure. The very standard choices between short rib, grilled chicken breast, and the cheese/kale ravioli. I had the chicken which was life sustaining but in no way enjoyable and memorable only for it's very small size.

Feels like the serving sizes are shrinking. Here's the appetizer:

Yes, one shrimp. I saw other pax get the same. I'd snacked in Centurion prior to departure so not an issue for me, but if I'd boarded hungry would have been upset. I also feel they've downgraded the bread . . . regardless how it looks on the outside, on the inside it's all just soft white and flavorless now.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
3/14/2019
ORD-SLC UA 521
A320

After having the "pesto chicken" 2 times this month and it being the new mid-con go-to, I opted for the beef salad with noodles instead. The beef and noodles were great, but the overall quantity was low, even the greens weren't substantial. Overall, it was decent but certainly not filling - but the cheesecake softened the blow.

onthesam likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA503 SFO-EWR March 14 noon departure. The very standard choices between short rib, grilled chicken breast, and the cheese/kale ravioli. I had the chicken which was life sustaining but in no way enjoyable and memorable only for it's very small size.

Feels like the serving sizes are shrinking. Here's the appetizer:

Yes, one shrimp. I saw other pax get the same. I'd snacked in Centurion prior to departure so not an issue for me, but if I'd boarded hungry would have been upset. I also feel they've downgraded the bread . . . regardless how it looks on the outside, on the inside it's all just soft white and flavorless now.
I flew that route the same day, 2pm, on the 787-10. Same - ONE shrimp. Couldn't believe it. That is a new low!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by MarkyMarc
3/14/2019
ORD-SLC UA 521
A320

After having the "pesto chicken" 2 times this month and it being the new mid-con go-to, I opted for the beef salad with noodles instead. The beef and noodles were great, but the overall quantity was low, even the greens weren't substantial. Overall, it was decent but certainly not filling - but the cheesecake softened the blow.
Tried that once. I went back to the pesto chicken w/ "risotto."
The Asian noodles + beef and pesto chicken seem to be a good duo from a logistical standpoint: The people seem evenly divided - I've not observed anyone not get their first choice...
MarkyMarc likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
I flew that route the same day, 2pm, on the 787-10. Same - ONE shrimp. Couldn't believe it. That is a new low!
I remember the old Continental days and flying IAH-ATL, and they would serve a chilled shrimp dish, I believe 3 or 4 shrimp at least. And that was a 2 hour flight...
HotelHacker likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
What's the late snack on westbound trancons from IAD this month? Calzone or hamburger?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
YUL-IAD 16 March 930 am departure

Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
IAD-IAH 16 March - Lunch

Roast beef sandwich. Not bad. I believe other choice was arugula salad with chicken.

HotelHacker likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:05 pm

UA1776: FLL-ORD: 7:15pm
Dinner
Boeing 737-800 aircraft #3235
First Class

Two options: Sesame ginger noodles with steak (served cold), or chicken pesto quinoa (served hot). Both were edible but just okay. Cheesecake was great, but the breadsticks were terrible.

Sesame ginger noodles with steak (served cold)

chicken pesto quinoa (served hot)
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by DCA writer
UA 589 IAH-IAD, 3/13/19
A320

I fully expected my late lunch on this flight to come from the BoB menu--bad weather in Austin delayed my AUS-IAH flight by two hours, ensuring I'd miss my earlier IAH-IAD flight on which my upgrade had cleared into a Polaris seat. But although F showed full, an FA came back to pluck me out of row 12 at the end of boarding.

(The printed boarding pass that the UC agent in AUS handed me listed a Y fare, but the online account shows my originally-booked W fare. Does the system now reset that after a flight?)

I missed the PDB on account of that late upgrade, and the service on this flight didn't include a starter of warm nuts. Choices for lunch were chicken salad or chicken with Thai noodles, but the salad was gone by the time the FA got to me. I said I was already planning on getting the noodles and joked that "everything tastes like chicken," which got a laugh out of her. The noodles were great--that spicy peanut sauce is something I make at home fairly often--and I have never not liked a pretzel roll at 32,000 feet. The white wine, however, was some buttery, oaky stuff that I didn't care for, so I switched to red that wasn't that much better, and I should have gotten a beer instead.

The chocolate cheesecake looked delicious, but I gave up chocolate for Lent and I was pretty much full by then anyway. After a badly-needed nap, I had a Buffalo Trace on the rocks and reflected that it was nice to have an upgrade clear on a domestic flight longer than two hours for the first time since (checks notes) September.
Unless it was miscatered, there should have been nuts with lunch or dinner flight. Some crew have been known to sneak the nuts with the meal, along with the first drink as a shortcut. But it doesn't look like there were any nuts at all.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
SNA-IAH, March 21 breakfast was a turkey sausage/egg (white only?) sandwich or cold oatmeal plate. Served with fruit and a cinnamon roll or biscuit. I had the sandwich which was tasteless.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:25 pm

UA1460 NAS-EWR
3/29/19

Choice of Grilled Chicken or Ravioli.
Choice of White/Wheat/Pretzel Roll followed.

Grilled chicken came with rice and carrots/potatoes. The steamed gravy was excellent, with rosemary, thyme and a hint of sugar.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Is it just me, or has the frequency of menu changes decreased? It seems like I've been choosing between the Chicken with Quinoa Risotto and the Asian Salad with Beef for about six months. Flying ORD-JAX and EWR-JAX frequently, but can't they mix it up once in a while?

And while I'm on this thread, has anyone ever thought that it would be good just to have a solid slice of pizza or just a really nicely made club sandwich, instead of trying to impress us with arugula salads and quinoa?
phkc070408 and MrGood like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.