Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Yeah, if it's Refreshments after breakfast-time it's just the snack basket. I know some people who prefer that, but I'm basically never in the mood for "premium" pretzels or whatnot. I would much rather get a simple cheese plate or basically anything offered in Eurobiz on sub-1hr flights.
Oh, I'll take a cheese plate over the snack basket any time, but I'd rather eat almonds and a banana than the muffin or scone. And I'm hyper-ptimising, certainly.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Maybe a more fair comparison is I would rather have a Polaris tart (new arrival service) than the snack basket, and I might not be in the majority there
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by fumje
From what I can tell, all the morning 'snack' flights are muffin or scone. Somehow I think the scone is only east coast, but surely someone can prove that wrong? (Also, funnily, I prefer the former morning basket, though that's isn't saying much.)
I've had the scone on morning flights from SoCal to SFO.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Feb 27
ORD-LAX UA531
1020 departure
B757-300
Lunch choice of Thai coconut chicken or cobb salad with chicken

This is my current favorite UA domestic enntree outside of the former p.s. transcons; which, until those are inevitably "enhanced", are probably the best premium cabin mains in the system.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
Oh, I'll take a cheese plate over the snack basket any time, but I'd rather eat almonds and a banana than the muffin or scone. And I'm hyper-ptimising, certainly.
Also, frequently get the scone SLC-DEN on the mainline.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:41 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
From what I can tell, all the morning 'snack' flights are muffin or scone. Somehow I think the scone is only east coast, but surely someone can prove that wrong?
Originally Posted by 1kBill
I've had the scone on morning flights from SoCal to SFO.
The MID-IAH flight has scones, too.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
IAH-DCA-IAH 27 Feb-1 Mar; lunch, dinner respectively

Same old. IAH-DCA was Thai chicken rice noodle or arugula salad with chicken. DCA-IAH was chicken pesto quinoa or cold noodle salad with roast beef. Good crews on both although DCA-IAH forgot the hot towels. Looking at the photo of the chicken pesto quinoa makes me realize there is surprisingly little difference these days between domestic F mid-cons and the enhanced Polaris dinners. Wow.

Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:23 pm

ORD - LAX on 3/2

Choices were egg white panini or fruit plate with cold oatmeal with chia seeds and mango.

Not pictured above was the little cholula packets offered shortly after the photo.

Both entrees were tasty. Fruit was perfectly ripe.

Crew was amazing. Friendly smiles and constantly asking if we wanted anything else to drink.
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
ORD - LAX on 3/2

Choices were egg white panini or fruit plate with cold oatmeal with chia seeds and mango.

Not pictured above was the little cholula packets offered shortly after the photo.

Both entrees were tasty. Fruit was perfectly ripe.

Crew was amazing. Friendly smiles and constantly asking if we wanted anything else to drink.
Your presentation of the egg white panini is shockingly better than some of the versions I've received around the system - although it's pathetic they serve that on 4+ hour flights now. I'm sure someone here with food pricing knowledge knows better but it shocks me that they can't serve the old quiche or omelette on these longer flights for a few pennies more.

Also, that pineapple is always going to be ripe - it's canned ring halves I noted that a few months ago in this thread. Seems like PS breakfast is the only one eligible for fresh cut.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Also, that pineapple is always going to be ripe - it's canned ring halves I noted that a few months ago in this thread.
From my recent experience, and judging by the non-roundness of the outside edges of the pineapple in the posted picture, I am not so sure that is true.
At the very least -if indeed canned- they are MUCH better tasting than what I sometimes buy in cans.
Dpetryszyn likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Pineapple is definitely not canned; it is frequently so hard that I cannot pierce it with a fork.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:38 pm

Your presentation of the egg white panini is shockingly better than some of the versions I've received around the system - although it's pathetic they serve that on 4+ hour flights now. I'm sure someone here with food pricing knowledge knows better but it shocks me that they can't serve the old quiche or omelette on these longer flights for a few pennies more.

Also, that pineapple is always going to be ripe - it's canned ring halves I noted that a few months ago in this thread. Seems like PS breakfast is the only one eligible for fresh cut.
I am in the food industry and I can tell you with 100% certainty it was not canned.

I spent some time in the Polaris lounge pre-flight so I wasn't that hungry, but would agree with you that the portion is on the smaller end for a flight that was 5+ hours long with the 150+ headwinds
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Pineapple is definitely not canned; it is frequently so hard that I cannot pierce it with a fork.
That used to be my experience when it was in chunks but now my ~4-6 breakfast flights a month out of various Florida cities/ATL/EWR it's consistently mushy and overripe.

Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
I am in the food industry and I can tell you with 100% certainty it was not canned.

I spent some time in the Polaris lounge pre-flight so I wasn't that hungry, but would agree with you that the portion is on the smaller end for a flight that was 5+ hours long with the 150+ headwinds
I'll take your word for it - like I said I'm no expert. Just tastes nothing like the old chunked pieces did before the extra cost cutting in 2018. I may also have a tainted opinion since I spend a good portion of the year in Latin America and the fruit quality is not a fair comparison
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st530
Same old. IAH-DCA was Thai chicken rice noodle or arugula salad with chicken. DCA-IAH was chicken pesto quinoa or cold noodle salad with roast beef. Good crews on both although DCA-IAH forgot the hot towels. Looking at the photo of the chicken pesto quinoa makes me realize there is surprisingly little difference these days between domestic F mid-cons and the enhanced Polaris dinners. Wow.

img

img
img
Out of curiosity: were you ferrying coilovers? What are those, and what is one doing on your tray table?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That used to be my experience when it was in chunks but now my ~4-6 breakfast flights a month out of various Florida cities/ATL/EWR it's consistently mushy and overripe.
My pineapple yesterday was at least soft enough to be edible, but still hard enough to be annoying. Could be a YMMV situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.