Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
2019-02-22 UA2006 EWR-SFO

Dinner

t.p.s./p.t.s. Dinner menu for remainder of February:

One of the last to be seated (upgraded) to J on this newest 781 (A/C #1004 ). No PDB for me. Also, even though I saw them in one of the cabinets, no blue cloth tray cover napkins provided to anyone in the front 6 rows that were served from the front galley.

Anyway, here's the appetizer - 'twas duck not chicken:

Requested and received le short rib given my history with ravioli up front and in back:

When the sundae cart was brought to me I requested both chocolate syrup and chocolate chips as well as short serving of coffee to make an affogato. Purser took it upon himself to serve up the coffee in a unique flute that I hadn't seen before - 'tho unfortunately chilled instead of hot:

Turns out most folk fell asleep so no one partook of the wraps/half sandwiches. I requested and received one of each for my onward journeys...

David
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by slippahs

That’s really funny. I’ve had this dish twice now on HNL-LAX in the last month and think it is one of the more disgusting things I’ve eating on UA. The chicken was a rubbery mess and swimming in the sauce. Both times. I choose the pasta now. But someone mentioned the tamale chicken dish from days gone by. Now that was good!
That was me! I loved that dish.
cerealmarketer and greenpau like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee

Dinner

img

One of the last to be seated (upgraded) to J on this newest 781 (A/C #1004 ). No PDB for me. Also, even though I saw them in one of the cabinets, no blue cloth tray cover napkins provided to anyone in the front 6 rows that were served from the front galley.

Anyway, here's the appetizer - 'twas duck not chicken:

img

Requested and received le short rib given my history with ravioli up front and in back:

img

When the sundae cart was brought to me I requested both chocolate syrup and chocolate chips as well as short serving of coffee to make an affogato. Purser took it upon himself to serve up the coffee in a unique flute that I hadn't seen before - 'tho unfortunately chilled instead of hot:

img

Turns out most folk fell asleep so no one partook of the wraps/half sandwiches. I requested and received one of each for my onward journeys...

David
The short coffee flute looks like the port glass from int'l flights?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DELee

Dinner

I swear that menu's like eight years old.

At least there was no watermelon in your salad
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
I swear that menu's like eight years old.

At least there was no watermelon in your salad
Or kale anywhere on the menu!
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by dkc192
Or kale anywhere on the menu!
Hurrah! That, I'll drink to!

David
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
UA1231
HNL-LAX
Delayed - original departure 8am, left at 2:30pm

Maybe because of the mechanical delay the flight received special catering from HNL instead of double catering from the Mainland, but I enjoyed an exceptional lunch yesterday form HNL-LAX. Honestly, I think this was the best chicken dish I have ever had on United.

Service began with warmed mixed nuts, including macadamia nuts. The main course, "cider chicken" was topped with thyme and served with sweet potatoes and the bulgur had cranberries and raisins in it. Very delicious. Then ice cream with whipped cream and a coconut caramel sauce plus Mai Tais.
Looks good, but...no appetizers? AA currently serves appetizers on all 1400+ mile flights, and I think DL does on their transcon service...HNL-LAX and back are definitely transcon-length.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by slippahs

That’s really funny. I’ve had this dish twice now on HNL-LAX in the last month and think it is one of the more disgusting things I’ve eating on UA. The chicken was a rubbery mess and swimming in the sauce. Both times. I choose the pasta now. But someone mentioned the tamale chicken dish from days gone by. Now that was good!
I was expecting a rubbery mess, but the chicken was moist and not at all like banquet chicken. The sauce was light and I could taste more thyme than apple cider glaze.

But I agree 100% - the tamale chicken was the best and I miss it so much.

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Looks good, but...no appetizers? AA currently serves appetizers on all 1400+ mile flights, and I think DL does on their transcon service...HNL-LAX and back are definitely transcon-length.
No appetizer, but I don't think Delta offers appetizers either. Here's a trip report from HNL-LAX on Delta (disclaimer - link to blog). There was no appetizer.

Delta did not even have hot nuts or an ice cream sundae.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
No appetizer, but I don't think Delta offers appetizers either. Here's a trip report from HNL-LAX on Delta (disclaimer - link to blog). There was no appetizer.

Delta did not even have hot nuts or an ice cream sundae.
I'm a bit surprised to say this, but... I think I'd prefer a UA meal.
MatthewLAX and MrGood like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA PLT, Inspirato, Wheels Up, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
UA doesn't even serve appetizers on the 7+ hour flights from DEN to the islands. Here's a link to my post from last June aboard UA 1736 DEN-OGG: 2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
February 27
BWI-ORD UA635
0806 departure
B737-900
Light snack = scone

Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Feb 27
ORD-LAX UA531
1020 departure
B757-300
Lunch choice of Thai coconut chicken or cobb salad with chicken

Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
February 27
BWI-ORD UA635
0806 departure
B737-900
Light snack = scone

I really wish you could get something like this in lieu of the snack basket.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA Guy
February 27
BWI-ORD UA635
0806 departure
B737-900
Light snack = scone
img

Originally Posted by findark
I really wish you could get something like this in lieu of the snack basket.
From what I can tell, all the morning 'snack' flights are muffin or scone. Somehow I think the scone is only east coast, but surely someone can prove that wrong? (Also, funnily, I prefer the former morning basket, though that's isn't saying much.)
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
From what I can tell, all the morning 'snack' flights are muffin or scone. Somehow I think the scone is only east coast, but surely someone can prove that wrong? (Also, funnily, I prefer the former morning basket, though that's isn't saying much.)
Yeah, if it's Refreshments after breakfast-time it's just the snack basket. I know some people who prefer that, but I'm basically never in the mood for "premium" pretzels or whatnot. I would much rather get a simple cheese plate or basically anything offered in Eurobiz on sub-1hr flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.