Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Had a quiche covered in some kind of unidentified red sauce (presumably tomato? It was slightly spiced) on FLL-EWR this morning. It's no French toast souffle, let's put it that way...
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
2019-02-08 UA625 EWR-MCO

Snack

Offered cheese plate or noodles with beef. Noodles with beef shown below:

Found it tasty. Would have loved more.

David
I'm guessing the crackers were just a mistake?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by seat38a
I'm guessing the crackers were just a mistake?
Probably began as a cheese plate tray. Wasn't thinking about it until you mentioned it. Not sure what the usual accompaniment is with the beef noodle salad.

David
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
IAH-DCA 4 Feb 1220 pm departure

Buffalo mac and cheese.

Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
EWR-IAH 9 Feb 530 pm departure

​​​​​​Pesto quinoa chicken

Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
EWR-SEA this week had no ice cream with the dinner service.

There was a prepackaged brownie on the tray and the FA served the Polaris apple pie mini as dessert instead of the arrival treat.

The prepackaged brownie makes it feel like this wasn’t a mistake but a cut. Though I see SFO-DCA above still had a sundae.

Ditto for me on EWR-SEA. The lobster mac was adequate. I was a bit surprised/disappointed by this. The apple pie mini prior to arrival was nice but no substitute for the ice cream!

Edit to add... looks like ice cream is gone for all but the premium transcons, now that it's February. Way to go, United! Keep on chopping!

The cost-cutting never ends...

Last edited by EWR764; Feb 13, 2019 at 12:51 pm
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Wow - very subtle in the wording and thanks for posting! I take it the salad no longer comes out first and they just drop everything off at once? Also noticed the removal of the word "warmed" when referring to the bread...
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by EWR764
Ditto for me on EWR-SEA. The lobster mac was adequate. I was a bit surprised/disappointed by this. The apple pie mini prior to arrival was nice but no substitute for the ice cream!

Edit to add... looks like ice cream is gone for all but the premium transcons, now that it's February. Way to go, United! Keep on chopping!

The cost-cutting never ends...
Wow. AA is now the only carrier to serve ice cream on all midcon dinners (emphasis for midcon) and transcon lunch/dinner flights (2200+ miles). DL seems to be similar to UA (no ice cream on any of the domestic sectors, other than "D1" coded transcons). I seriously hope AA won't follow.

I noticed this kind of thing goes in cycles. Back in 2010 or so, pmAA and pmCO were the only ones to have ice cream on its transcons (and AA still had midcon dinner ice cream). In 2014 or so, AA cut ice cream on all midcon dinners and transcons except for JFK-LAX/SFO and LAX-MIA, while UA had ice cream on all transcons. Now, it's the opposite again. DL's the only one of the three that had remained consistent (no ice cream on anything except for D1 transcons).

And, yes, I love my ice cream, you probably can tell.
tstauck likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by tstauck
Wow - very subtle in the wording and thanks for posting! I take it the salad no longer comes out first and they just drop everything off at once? Also noticed the removal of the word "warmed" when referring to the bread...
I used an even more dated version of the language that was already the subject of one cutback, so I deleted that part of my post, but yes we went back to "all at once" service in mid-2018.

The catering budget has been a favorite target of United penny-pinching managers for the last few years... no doubt a chief driver of recent profits...
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by hirohito888
EWR-LAX
UA600

Boeing 757-200 (28J)
Meal: dinner- chose the chicken (below)
Just for SG, I looked up AirlineMeals, and saw a very old (2003) LAX-EWR meal on then-Continental. Gosh, separate multi-course service, starting with the appetizer, salad, entree, then sundae, proper ramekins, and LARGE portions. Yes, I know 2003 is quite a long time ago, but it's interesting to see the comparison ~16 years later!

AirlineMeals.net - Airline catering * the world's largest website about airline catering, inflight meals and special meals

Originally Posted by bdw1120

BOS - ORD breakfast. Heard multiple names for this - spinach pastry, soufflé, “egg white thingy”...
And in 2005, for about the same length, you got multi-course meal service on a midcon, namely in this case, IAH-EWR, with the service properly spaced out and the meal served on large plates. I believe it was ~2007 when CO changed to the casserole-style dishes in domestic, non-transcon F. Those large clear dishes were pretty nice-looking and classy, IMHO (the one the fruit was served on, look at the left sidebar). Such a drastic difference in ~14 years. http://www.airlinemeals.net/photos/a...-jan-1970/3593
cerealmarketer, EWR764 and zeer0 like this.

Last edited by MrAndy1369; Feb 13, 2019 at 10:05 pm Reason: added in the second part
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:34 pm

On board service, EWR to SAN?

Hi guys

​​​​​​We've got business class tickets for UA1827, an afternoon flight from Newark to San Diego. I don't have much experience with US domestic flights. What sort of in flight service/meals we're likely to get? Trying to work out whether to eat etc. before hand.

Thanks for any info.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Warm nuts, a decent airplane meal (usually 4-6oz of protein, veggies, bread, and dessert). Possibly a snack basket or you can ask for one of the economy snacks if you’re still hungry. I would pack a snack just in case you don’t like what they’re serving.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:07 pm

See https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...ng.aspx?POS=US .
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Transcon is quite decent most of the time. Definitely filling with a few options. No need to pack any snacks IMO.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:01 pm

SFO-AUS-SFO

It is day 211 of the experiment and I am still being offered Tandoori Chicken as the hot entree. I regret remarking that it was tasty 210 days ago fearing that I helped train the algorithm that assigns meals to the mid-distance routes.

Today's salad contained exactly 6 baby spinach leaves so perhaps the simulation is evolving to test human limits of airline loyalty.

Despite two FA's working the undersized front cabin, no refills or wine were offered with the meal.They seemed to be busy with important tasks on their cell phones so this was very understandable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.