Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
IAH-LAX 1005 am departure 772 (high density) seat 1K (backward facing)

In a surprise, the choices were ... tandoori chicken and cold noodle salad with chicken. Basically, the same two choices I've had on 80% of mid-cons the last 6 months or longer.

Still, I'm a sucker for the tandoori chicken, though the paneer was unusually cold this time.

HotelHacker likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Flew the 78J last week and completely concur regarding the staffing model. I was seated in Row 5 and it took nearly three hours for the entire meal service to be completed. The crew seemed generally apathetic -- so perhaps that was a contributing factor -- but it was painfully slow to just get meals ordered, trays delivered, etc. I hope UA reconsiders this staffing model, especially if using these birds on Europe routes where people want to actually get some sleep.

Also, it seemed like the folks in Rows 7-11 were WAY ahead of us in terms of where they were at in the service. May be preferable to select a seat there.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
UA 483 ORD-PHX 1/25 (Dinner)

Choices were Buffalo Mac & Cheese or Grilled Chicken Salad. Mac & Cheese hit the spot for how I was feeling at the time. Wouldn't have minded a bit more chicken, though.

HotelHacker likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
EWR-LAX
UA600

Boeing 757-200 (28J)
Meal: dinner- chose the chicken (below)

Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
UA 2047 IAH-BOS 1215 departure 739

Ramekin of nuts enhanced on this flight to a 100-calorie bag of almonds. A one-off or the new normal?

For the main, a choice, yes, of tandoori chicken or Asian noodle salad with chicken (see post #46 ). Same old again.

HotelHacker likes this.

Last edited by st530; Feb 1, 2019 at 4:48 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I usually only take pictures of F meals I enjoyed, or thought were different in some way, and this meets both criteria. EWR-DEN (January) dinner, a less-soupy derivative of the Thai “Spicy Chicken” curry from Polaris. I haven’t had this on domestic before and this may be my new favorite non-transcon dish. It was very good, not nearly as dry as it looks in the photo. The other stuff, meh, especially the packaged dessert. I miss the brief, fleeting moment (2016 or so) when the midcon service was presented in courses with ice cream.

But, here we are, several billion dollars of profit later, so this main gets a ^ from me.

HotelHacker and Kacee like this.

Last edited by EWR764; Jan 31, 2019 at 10:49 am
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Lunch service on SFO-DCA was the same as last time, except the ice cream was actually vanilla. The lobster mac was creatively described as a "seafood macaroni with broccoli" -- I had to wonder whether they were trying to stop too many people from ordering it

After something like four consecutive flights with no cookie, we actually had a tasty arrival service I had not seen before.

It was a warm fruit tart of some sort (probably apple but I honestly forget). Quite good and a welcome improvement from "nothing".
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
After something like four consecutive flights with no cookie, we actually had a tasty arrival service I had not seen before.

It was a warm fruit tart of some sort (probably apple but I honestly forget). Quite good and a welcome improvement from "nothing".
Looks like one of the Polaris desserts from the cart. Was it full sized?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
Looks like one of the Polaris desserts from the cart. Was it full sized?
I'm not actually familiar with the Polaris cart offerings - ice cream and the cheese plate are more than enough food for me

It was pretty small but fit nicely on the little cookie plate. The fork in the photo can be for scale. It was warmed in the oven right before serving, which was a significant improvement.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:55 pm

BOS-IAH 515 pm departure 739

Ramekin of nuts returns!

For the main, something new: chicken katsu with red curry sauce, or big bowl of paneer with rice. I got the chicken katsu. Very tasty! And look at the size of the chicken breast, placed on top of the rice and (crunchy) broccolini. Compare this full-sized chicken breast portion to the tiny tandoori chicken portions in posts #s 46 and 50. Consistency, thy name is not United. But this was a good main. (More or less the Japan Polaris second meal, with red curry sauce added.)

I wasn't able to get a pic of the paneer and rice. but it was basically the tandoori chicken minus the chicken, but a much bigger portion of paneer and rice served in a large bowl.
HotelHacker likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
July 31 IAD-DEN 0815 departure
I was seated in row 9. They ran out of the egg white sandwiches at row 8 but offered me a chorizo sandwich. It was actually pretty tasty but the middle was cool (not quite cold anymore) while the outside was crusty. United really needs to work on provisioning for the cabin. There is no reason they should be running out of items in the first 2 rows (Dasani Lime on my prior 3 flights), especially on a flight that was half-filled with 1K members (think that's bad? My COS-DEN flight was about 2/3 1Ks albeit on a 175).
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN, UA 1K, A3*G, AR Platino, BA Gold
Originally Posted by st530
IAH-LAX 1005 am departure 772 (high density) seat 1K (backward facing)

In a surprise, the choices were ... tandoori chicken and cold noodle salad with chicken. Basically, the same two choices I've had on 80% of mid-cons the last 6 months or longer.

Still, I'm a sucker for the tandoori chicken, though the paneer was unusually cold this time.

I just found some old photos of a LAX-IAH flight back in Oct 18... and to my huge and enormous surprise , it was exactly the same.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt, SPG Platinum
IAH - SJU this week for lunch was grilled chicken or cheese ravioli. I got stuck with the cheese ravioli with a side of roasted beets. HORRIBLE. Largely inedible. Tiny apple tart for dessert. 4 hour flight and this is what we get now? Flight attendant grabbed me a snack box from coach.

SJU - IAH return flight I had a mushroom omelette. The mushrooms were canned. The omelet the rubberyist I have ever had. Fruit was fresh.

Overall very poor food. Service was great. Flight attendants clearly embarrassed at how bad things were on both flights.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by findark
I'm not actually familiar with the Polaris cart offerings - ice cream and the cheese plate are more than enough food for me

It was pretty small but fit nicely on the little cookie plate. The fork in the photo can be for scale. It was warmed in the oven right before serving, which was a significant improvement.
Apple tart instead of cookie on EWR-SNA yesterday!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IAD-SFO this week was lobster mac or lentil chili (again). I'm not sure if they have really cut all the way to a single mealset for TCON out of all hubs and across multiple months, or if I just got unlucky with the rotation from January. It used to be that the mealset was large enough that flying east and west you would see different food, and it didn't repeat on adjacent months.

Some unusual additions and minor tweaks from the eastbound January menu: the bread was pretzel rolls (and garlic bread! not sure where they found that but I assume it was hidden somewhere on the Polaris 772), ice cream was salted caramel, and Polaris tart was cherry.

I like the tart as a cookie replacement, it's a nice warm snack for arrival. This crew thought creatively and served with a bit of whipped cream on the plate as well -- pretty sure that was just a bright idea from someone in the galley and not policy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.