Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 24, 19, 8:42 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 13, 19, 11:16 am

Thumbs down 787-10 transcon meal service

Originally Posted by hirohito888 View Post
SFO-EWR
UA295

Boeing 787-10
Meal: Breakfast

Terribly slow domestic meal service due to the understaffed crew on domestic 787-10 flights. 3 FA served the entire business cabin, I was in 11L, it took 1h45min after takeoff until I got my meal.

Menu (forgot to take pic), choices were: quiche, pancake, cereal.

Pancake
The 787-10 staffing on transcons is a disgrace. I had the same experience. It took what should have been a nice experience with the Polaris seats and made it an overall bad experience. It took 2 hours to get my meal and by then it was served cold. Forget about trying to get a wine refill. The FA's seemed to be trying their hardest but they just didn't have the manpower.
Old Aug 13, 19, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brooklynflyer View Post
The 787-10 staffing on transcons is a disgrace. I had the same experience. It took what should have been a nice experience with the Polaris seats and made it an overall bad experience. It took 2 hours to get my meal and by then it was served cold. Forget about trying to get a wine refill. The FA's seemed to be trying their hardest but they just didn't have the manpower.
took three hours on my ewr-lax 787-10 flight. No excuse.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Aug 13, 19, 2:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Mileage Plus Silver
I was on the 787-8 from EWR to LAX when it was making runs on the route for a while. Service was fine on my flight. Does 8 extra seats really make that much of a difference in speed of service?
Old Aug 13, 19, 3:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by hirohito888 View Post
SFO-EWR
UA295

Boeing 787-10
Meal: Breakfast

Terribly slow domestic meal service due to the understaffed crew on domestic 787-10 flights. 3 FA served the entire business cabin, I was in 11L, it took 1h45min after takeoff until I got my meal.

Menu (forgot to take pic), choices were: quiche, pancake, cereal.

Pancake
Sounds like they are short handed, since there should be 4 FAs working in the business cabin.
Old Aug 13, 19, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seat38a View Post
I was on the 787-8 from EWR to LAX when it was making runs on the route for a while. Service was fine on my flight. Does 8 extra seats really make that much of a difference in speed of service?
Yes. 44 seats in one cabin versus 36 seats spread over two cabins.
Old Aug 13, 19, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
Yes. 44 seats in one cabin versus 36 seats spread over two cabins.
The 781 J cabin is essentially two cabins from a catering and provisioning perspective. The last rows of J are served from the mid-cabin galley that also serves PP.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Aug 13, 19, 10:52 pm

Was on a 787-10 from EWR - SFO on Sunday in row 1. Took over 2.5 hours for lunch "service." The single FA working both aisles asked for drink orders pre-takeoff and that was the only beverage or refill offered for the flight. Pitiful. Also, FA repeatedly tried to serve 1F by reaching over 1D or vice versa which is terrible and intrusive.

FA's chatted in the galley after meal service without checking in on the cabin and left the lav ahead of 1L locked for crew use for the entire flight.

Has anyone had luck asking United for compensation for the level of service provided on these so-called premium routes? Does anyone at United still care?

On the food, the hardened, dry puck of short rib was not good.

Last edited by fisherman; Aug 13, 19 at 10:52 pm Reason: food
Old Aug 13, 19, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
Was on a 787-10 from EWR - SFO on Sunday in row 1. Took over 2.5 hours for lunch "service." The single FA working both aisles asked for drink orders pre-takeoff and that was the only beverage or refill offered for the flight. Pitiful. Also, FA repeatedly tried to serve 1F by reaching over 1D or vice versa which is terrible and intrusive.

FA's chatted in the galley after meal service without checking in on the cabin and left the lav ahead of 1L locked for crew use for the entire flight.

Has anyone had luck asking United for compensation for the level of service provided on these so-called premium routes? Does anyone at United still care?

I had an even worse experience last week on a 777-300ER. Lunch service took over 3.5 hours and you could tell you were really inconveniencing the FAs when asking for a refill. (One of my refills took over an hour, and each time I would remind the FA she would disappear for another 15 minutes.)

It seemed as though each business cabin was staffed with only 2 FAs! Thatís fine on a 757-200 but definitely not on a big bird like this.
Old Aug 13, 19, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
The single FA working both aisles
There should be two working each aisle.

Sad to say that my rule on these routes now is, expect nothing beyond a lie-flat and a duvet, and I won't be disappointed.
Old Aug 13, 19, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.8MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Marriott Plat / SPG Plat

Very unlikely - Iíve written in twice in a constructive way about the -10 staffing on SFO-EWR on two separate trips, each one $3,500 r/t, my meal was served 1.5 hours before landing. No compensation. They are understaffed, and the FAs report it as well. My friends hate working that aircraft / route and prefer the 757s.
Old Aug 14, 19, 2:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Hyatt DSC, HHonors/SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG PLT
SFO-OGG
Lunch
Boeing 757-300

PDB of choice!

After take-off, warm nuts and drink of choice. My mai tai was accompanied by 2 pineapples and maraschino cherries! Re-fills of this drink were offered throughout the flight!

Hot scented towels were passed out prior to the meal service.

Meal choices were the paneer or the "grilled chicken." I chose the paneer. It was certainly the better option and came over a bed of rice. There was a side salad, and then roll of choice from the bread basket. Sundae, including hot chocolate, pineapples, and whipped cream followed the meal. Pro-active offer of water.

To answer the question up-thread, Baked-on-board.Cookies offered prior to landing!!!

The FA serving F-Class was truly outstanding on this flight! MAJOR kudos for keeping a cheery attitude despite the delayed departure, and the grump older gentleman seated in front of me.

UA wins for the Mai Tais, but the competition beats UA in several areas, including in-flight-entertainment, and better blankets and pillows, plus individual bottles of water. Meal could have been more substantive, too.

Old Aug 14, 19, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by greenpau View Post

Very unlikely - Iíve written in twice in a constructive way about the -10 staffing on SFO-EWR on two separate trips, each one $3,500 r/t, my meal was served 1.5 hours before landing. No compensation. They are understaffed, and the FAs report it as well. My friends hate working that aircraft / route and prefer the 757s.
Please do write in though, they need to hear that these ridiculous staffing cuts are not okay.
Old Aug 14, 19, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 2MM, SQ Kris Flyer, AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Premier Plat
IAH-EWR 14 Aug 950 am 738 seat 2B

As previewed in post 469 ...

onthesam and narvik like this.

Last edited by st530; Aug 14, 19 at 12:58 pm Reason: Typo
Old Aug 14, 19, 1:20 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by st530 View Post
As previewed in post 469 ...

That sandwich looks like it is filled with shaving cream!
narvik, Kacee and SwaBiz like this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 2MM, SQ Kris Flyer, AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Premier Plat
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
That sandwich looks like it is filled with shaving cream!
And tastes accordingly!
iluv2fly, narvik and transportprof like this.

Search this Thread