Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 24, 19, 8:42 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 7, 19, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Terrible that EWR-IAH meals have been downgraded so much. Used to be a "real" breakfast.

Couple that with the abysmal situation at the Terminal C United Clubs ("We hear you, and we are working on it..." - United for the last decade or so) and the schlep out to LGA, with a new club and real food service, for now, is looking better and better.
Fully agree! The LGA club looks amazing. EWR clubs are an abomination (except A of course).
Old Jun 8, 19, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Global Services 2MM, SQ Kris Flyer, AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Premier Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Terrible that EWR-IAH meals have been downgraded so much. Used to be a "real" breakfast.

Couple that with the abysmal situation at the Terminal C United Clubs ("We hear you, and we are working on it..." - United for the last decade or so) and the schlep out to LGA, with a new club and real food service, for now, is looking better and better.
What does a breakfast look like LGA -IAH these days? Is it really any different?
Old Jun 8, 19, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by st530 View Post
What does a breakfast look like LGA -IAH these days? Is it really any different?
Meaning better food service in the LGA lounge, for now.
Old Jun 9, 19, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Global Services 2MM, SQ Kris Flyer, AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Premier Plat
IAD-IAH 9 June 830 am 763 seat 1D

In case you wanted yet another pic of the egg-white sandwich ...

Old Jun 9, 19, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak
UA 3550 IAH-DCA, 6/7/19
E175

I don't want to complain too much about this, because the exceptionally-capable UC agents at SAT protected me on a P fare on this 7:05 a.m. flight the evening before when it looked like I might miss my connection in Houston that night. That said: I really don't know where they were going with this sandwich (described by the FA as just "sandwich"). You've got a couple of pieces of ham topped by a slab of cheese of a sort I couldn't quite identify, which overall isn't a bad start for a savory meal. But with the orange marmalade, I think, underneath it and the cinnamon-sugar glaze on the bread, this also aspired to be some sort of dessert.

That coating also left a sticky residue all over my fingers. A hot-towel service after the meal would have really been handy--but that never happened, unless it came and went during my brief nap after this breakfast.

Good service otherwise, including frequent drink refills. I probably should have gone with the boring alternative of cereal and a bowl of fruit, which I saw came with a scone instead of the biscotti pictured below.

Old Jun 9, 19, 5:01 pm

ORD-SFO, 405pm CST

ORD To SFO
departure time : 405pm

one of the more flavorful domestic options Iíve had. I always seem to be stuck on the short rib and/or cheese ravioli route (aka SFO-EWR-SFO). Tonight was a pleasant change : on offer was either paneer with jasmine rice and salad or chicken katsu with the same. Dessert came with the entree; chocolate tart, which is didnít eat.

weirdly (and unadvertised), my meal came with a pretzel roll. Itís a weird combo with the above, but who doesnít like a pretzel roll at 38k feet?

wine was Chardonnay or Bordeaux. As I canít stand Chardonnay, I went with the Bordeaux and it was fine. The Prosecco at take off (with warm / overly soft nuts) was sweet, which is not to my taste.

all told, decent offering, esp for a 4ish hour flight. Hereís hoping my next one to EWR is as good.
my preference.
MatthewLAX and onthesam like this.
Old Jun 9, 19, 11:13 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Princessjiku View Post
ORD To SFO
departure time : 405pm

one of the more flavorful domestic options Iíve had. I always seem to be stuck on the short rib and/or cheese ravioli route (aka SFO-EWR-SFO). Tonight was a pleasant change : on offer was either paneer with jasmine rice and salad or chicken katsu with the same. Dessert came with the entree; chocolate tart, which is didnít eat.

weirdly (and unadvertised), my meal came with a pretzel roll. Itís a weird combo with the above, but who doesnít like a pretzel roll at 38k feet?

wine was Chardonnay or Bordeaux. As I canít stand Chardonnay, I went with the Bordeaux and it was fine. The Prosecco at take off (with warm / overly soft nuts) was sweet, which is not to my taste.

all told, decent offering, esp for a 4ish hour flight. Hereís hoping my next one to EWR is as good.
my preference.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

David
Old Jun 10, 19, 2:04 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
With the latest in a continuing series of emptying out photos of UA on-board food and drink from my phone, here are yet more from the past month+ from seats up front...

2019-05-03 UA762 IAD-IAH - breakfast:

pdb, 2 different juices (at least one of them makes it a breakfast flight for me and few others (@Aussienarelle, for instance)) and a baked egg thing:

2019-05-07 UA2359 LAX-IAH - more breakfast

(no pdb?)

FWIW - le inside:

2019-05-07 UA321 IAH-IAD - late, late dinner

originally, we were supposed to depart IAH @ around 1600 - didn't get away until around 2230 due to thunderstorming and the inbound flight getting diverted to BTR.

2019-05-09 UA762 IAD-IAH - more breakfast

This time I went with the "Protein Plate":

(why don't they wash _all_ the grapes?)

2019-06-04 UA1897 LAX-ORD - RPU'd up to domestic F - lunch

(That being said, I completely missed taking any photos of the salad with chicken; didn't pick the other chicken dish (chicken tikka?))

2019-06-07 UA1448 IAD-LAX - "snack" - last flight out of IAD to LAX (2215 departure)

cold noodle salad with roast beef/steak (other option was a (warmed) chicken sandwich); arrival snack was a muffin top:

David
onthesam likes this.

Last edited by DELee; Jun 10, 19 at 2:21 am
Old Jun 10, 19, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by metallo View Post
STL-SFO
A320
0730-0950 (4h20m)
Breakfast

Open bar PDB -- everything except tea/coffee was available on the ground.

I was in row 1 but found there was no meal choice, just cereal. When asked if he wanted cereal, a confused passenger behind me in row 2 said, "No, what's the other choice?" The FA, who was actually reasonably pleasant and professional overall said, "It's cereal or cereal today." The other pax, who was probably in his mid to late 20s, made it clear to the FA that it was a definite NO to breakfast. He made sure he got his money's worth by downing round after round of "Tito's and tonic" after that.

Was this (hopefully) a miscater, or does UA only offer "shelf stable" breakfasts out of STL? Sometimes UA runs an RJ on this route, but I really wouldn't have expected such a poor offering on a 4+ hour mainline flight. The UA website suggests that flights of this length should have a full breakfast with two choices.
My memory is a bit faded, but I think they were only this "cereal" choice on MSP-SFO last month (also a western division E75 flight).

Originally Posted by DELee View Post

David
Did Kirby eat the rest of the muffin?? That's just sad.
Old Jun 10, 19, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark View Post
Did Kirby eat the rest of the muffin?? That's just sad.
It's a scone.
cawhite likes this.
Old Jun 10, 19, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
It's a scone.
From the size, it looks like it could also be the literal top of the muffin which used to be the TCON "redeye" arrival service

Might be a bit larger though. (I'm not actually suggesting they cut the tops off the muffins, just noting the quantity decrease.)
Old Jun 10, 19, 11:30 am

Programs: UA, 1K
No more dessert?

Has dessert (such as it was) been enhanced? Just flew YYZ-SFO (dinner flight) and SFO LIH ("lunch" flight) both in F. In both cases no dessert in the tray or offered afterwards.
BTW: SFO-LIH was one of the worst cabin crews I had in a long time..disappeared in the galley 2 hrs into the flight and never reappeared until it was time to collect the empty glasses they never bothered to refill...

Safe travels
Old Jun 10, 19, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: WN AL+/CP, IHG AMB/Plat, HH/Mar Gold, UA Dirt
Originally Posted by findark View Post
From the size, it looks like it could also be the literal top of the muffin which used to be the TCON "redeye" arrival service

Might be a bit larger though. (I'm not actually suggesting they cut the tops off the muffins, just noting the quantity decrease.)
Cosmo Kramer would approve

But I have had this, and it is a scone. And it is pretty good. Quantity is a bit lacking.
Old Jun 11, 19, 1:24 pm

IAH-DCA 11 June 1002 am departure E175 seat 1A

Bowtie pasta or salad with chicken. Bowtie pasta was fine.

MatthewLAX and narvik like this.
Old Jun 11, 19, 1:57 pm

Programs: United Silver, Emerald Exec, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
6-11-19 EWR:SFO

Search this Thread