Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

    Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 16, 19, 2:58 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Jan 14, 19, 8:57 am
  #16  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: CT/NY
Programs: UA Platinum/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 4,219
Originally Posted by anc-ord772 View Post
No!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although I usually ask for the bigger better quality Haribo buy on board from the back after raiding the small bags in the snack basket.They've been happy to oblige.
Based on my last count, they usually board 24 bags of the little ones. I know, because on one flight no one touched the snack basket, and the FA gave me all of the gummies, including ones in the replenishment bag.
cricketer likes this.
PTahCha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 19, 9:55 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, DL, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 8,169
UA 2046: SFO to DCA
January 13, 2019
Boeing 737-800, Lunch


A new year, a new catering budget, or something like that?

Service on this flight was outstanding, and the meal service was also helped by the presence of lobster mac. The other choice was the "lentil chili" - another pretty standard mealset option.



The broccolini was actually delicious - none of the semi-soft rubber that seems to show up all too often. The rest of the meal service was pretty disappointing though. United seems to have abandoned variety as a cost-cutting measure, and now all domestic salad dressings are balsamic and all frozen desserts are chocolate chip ice cream that even our outstanding FSM couldn't help but identify as "vanilla bean" (new ice cream vendor though). The salad was about as disgusting as it looks - there is no cheese or fruit or anything else better hiding under the cucumber slices.

This was my third DCA flight in a row with no cookies or arrival service. I asked the FA, and she said that United is not catering them on DCA, despite doing so for IAD. It was claimed it's because it was "catered as a midcon" but that doesn't really ring true because it's always been two hot entrees since the cuts. So I'm not sure what is going on with the catering, but it seems like missing cookies on SFO-DCA is policy and not a one-off (sample size n=3). Maybe time to start a cookie-spotting thread?
findark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 19, 5:44 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SYD
Programs: OZ*G, VA gold, NZ*G, QF bronze, Former 'bottom-feeder' AC*G
Posts: 4,902
Is the catering on the IAH-LatAm shorthaul routes any different to domestic? Specifically IAH-MEX (classed as 'dinner' according to GDS) and CUN-IAH ('lunch')? I waded through the whole 2018 Let's eat thread and couldn't really find any Mexico examples.

I'm already in F for CUN-IAH and pondering whether to upgrade on IAH-MEX for what is likely to be a net cost of approx $73... but given I have UC and Centurion lounge access in IAH, decent E+ seats currently, and the delights of Mexico City awaiting on arrival (we land at 5.45pm local time) I'm thinking probably not. What would you do?
mad_atta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 19, 9:56 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, DL, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 8,169
Originally Posted by mad_atta View Post
Is the catering on the IAH-LatAm shorthaul routes any different to domestic? Specifically IAH-MEX (classed as 'dinner' according to GDS) and CUN-IAH ('lunch')? I waded through the whole 2018 Let's eat thread and couldn't really find any Mexico examples.

I'm already in F for CUN-IAH and pondering whether to upgrade on IAH-MEX for what is likely to be a net cost of approx $73... but given I have UC and Centurion lounge access in IAH, decent E+ seats currently, and the delights of Mexico City awaiting on arrival (we land at 5.45pm local time) I'm thinking probably not. What would you do?
Catering standards are the same (though apparently meal thresholds are lower), but the actual food ex-Mexico is different since it is catered there. At 763mi for IAH-MEX, I'd be on the fence but probably pass on the upgrade. Especially if "we" is two of you and the middle is currently empty
findark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 19, 10:08 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SBA
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 339
Originally Posted by mad_atta View Post
Is the catering on the IAH-LatAm shorthaul routes any different to domestic? Specifically IAH-MEX (classed as 'dinner' according to GDS) and CUN-IAH ('lunch')? I waded through the whole 2018 Let's eat thread and couldn't really find any Mexico examples.

I'm already in F for CUN-IAH and pondering whether to upgrade on IAH-MEX for what is likely to be a net cost of approx $73... but given I have UC and Centurion lounge access in IAH, decent E+ seats currently, and the delights of Mexico City awaiting on arrival (we land at 5.45pm local time) I'm thinking probably not. What would you do?
I flew breakfast LAX-MEX flight about a year ago and the meal was pretty substantial (I'll post a pic in a min) and the flight time was only about 2 hr 45 min. $73 definitely isn't too bad for an upgrade. Not sure of your status, but I was CPU'd on my MEX flight even as a Silver.
tstauck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 19, 10:10 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SBA
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 339
LAX - MEX breakfast (about a year ago):

tstauck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 19, 6:29 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SYD
Programs: OZ*G, VA gold, NZ*G, QF bronze, Former 'bottom-feeder' AC*G
Posts: 4,902
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Catering standards are the same (though apparently meal thresholds are lower), but the actual food ex-Mexico is different since it is catered there. At 763mi for IAH-MEX, I'd be on the fence but probably pass on the upgrade. Especially if "we" is two of you and the middle is currently empty
Re the thresholds being lower, that makes sense, as I was wondering why IAH-MEX qualified for a full meal when the block time is only the exact 2h 20m minimum (so actual flight time would be a fair bit less). Yes there are two of us, and for now at least the middle seat is empty.

Originally Posted by tstauck View Post
I flew breakfast LAX-MEX flight about a year ago and the meal was pretty substantial (I'll post a pic in a min) and the flight time was only about 2 hr 45 min. $73 definitely isn't too bad for an upgrade. Not sure of your status, but I was CPU'd on my MEX flight even as a Silver.
Thanks for posting the pic! I must say if it was a breakfast flight I certainly wouldn't bother - I'm no great fan of airline breakfasts and I also won't want to drink at that hour, so I'd get less value from an upgrade. I agree $73 is a good price - the upgrade cost really is $129 but I've already paid $56 for E+ seats, reimbursed by my Amex Plat credit. In my experience a refund of that cost, due to paying to upgrade to F in my case, doesn't trigger a reversal of the reimbursement.
mad_atta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 19, 6:54 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 86



BOS - ORD breakfast. Heard multiple names for this - spinach pastry, soufflé, “egg white thingy”...
bdw1120 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 19, 4:50 pm
  #24  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Gold, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Posts: 6,239
IAH-SFO dinner flight 17JAN choice of burger or “four-cheese pasta”
kirkwoodj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 19, 8:20 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Programs: Chase, United
Posts: 212
So Polaris lax-ewr, depart 8:15, would the full meal be a breakfast, and what I’d anything would you get for lunch, given that local time on arrival is already 4:30pm?
zoechow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 19, 9:41 pm
  #26  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 37,962
Originally Posted by zoechow View Post
So Polaris lax-ewr, depart 8:15, would the full meal be a breakfast, and what I’d anything would you get for lunch, given that local time on arrival is already 4:30pm?
That's not a Polaris flight.

What does it say about meal on the reservation? I would assume breakfast given the departure time. One meal only. United figures you can feed yourself once you arrive in NYC.
Kacee is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 19, 11:15 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Programs: Chase, United
Posts: 212
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
That's not a Polaris flight.

What does it say about meal on the reservation? I would assume breakfast given the departure time. One meal only. United figures you can feed yourself once you arrive in NYC.
Thanks! Dumb of me not to realize, but it is right there: breakfast. It has been changed back to 787-10 from 757, and is the Polaris hard product. Not sure if that changes catering at all.

Anyway, I’m wondering what sort of arrival meal can be hoped for on morning bus8ness transcon?
zoechow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 19, 11:20 am
  #28  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 37,962
Originally Posted by zoechow View Post
Dumb of me not to realize, but it is right there: breakfast. It has been changed back to 787-10 from 757, and is the Polaris hard product. Not sure if that changes catering at all.

Anyway, I’m wondering what sort of arrival meal can be hoped for on morning bus8ness transcon?
Equipment doesn't affect meal options (except mainline vs. express).

There is no arrival meal on ps. Those days are long over.
Kacee is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 19, 11:44 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 8,948
Originally Posted by zoechow View Post


Thanks! Dumb of me not to realize, but it is right there: breakfast. It has been changed back to 787-10 from 757, and is the Polaris hard product. Not sure if that changes catering at all.

Anyway, I’m wondering what sort of arrival meal can be hoped for on morning bus8ness transcon?
You need to separate seat type from marketing. Lie-flat does not necessarily mean “Polaris”. If you look at your ticket, it says “Business”. Nowhere does it say Polaris. The same seat would be marketed as “First” to Hawaii and “Polaris” to London. Unless the flight is marketed as Polaris, it is not a Polaris flight.

Although you’ll be in a “Polaris” hard product, it’ll be premium transcontinental catering and amenities. United Club access, but no Polaris Lounge access.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 21, 19 at 11:50 am
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 19, 6:06 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Posts: 447
Originally Posted by bdw1120 View Post



BOS - ORD breakfast. Heard multiple names for this - spinach pastry, soufflé, “egg white thingy”...
The cat threw up in croissant thingy..........wish they would retire that thing
Kacee likes this.
wanderingkev is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread