Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
From past flights it seems to be "Sweet Chili Sauce." Kind of sweet, a bit spicy. Goes well with spring rolls/egg rolls, too.

Google it and you can find it at many grocery stores. Any Asian markets have it as well.

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
DEN-IAH yesterday and DEN-RIC Monday had a "veggie wrap" as an option for snack service.

I shockingly enjoyed it and the mystery sweet red sauce, but I ate them so quickly that I did not figure out what was in them.

The flight attendants did not know either.

Any ideas of the ingredients and what is in the red sauce?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
DEN-IAH yesterday and DEN-RIC Monday had a "veggie wrap" as an option for snack service.

I shockingly enjoyed it and the mystery sweet red sauce, but I ate them so quickly that I did not figure out what was in them.

The flight attendants did not know either.

Any ideas of the ingredients and what is in the red sauce?
That sounds like sweet chili sauce. Really common in Australia I found, but becoming more prevalent in America too. Good with fries and sour cream, yum
Boofer likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA 5523: MSP to SFO
March 3, 2019
Embraer ERJ-175, Dinner

It seems like everyone is ordering the pasta salad, which might be a better choice. I was misled into thinking this was the soba noodle salad as it was described as the "Asian salad with chicken". It was really anything but... pretty disappointing overall, but I think the biggest issue was that it was just very sparse. It was mostly a pile of arugula, which isn't going to fill anyone up, and the chicken feels like a forced pairing. The Express cookie is probably pulling at least half the caloric weight here.

Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
This salad actually looks wonderful to me and far better than the bowtie pasta!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
This salad actually looks wonderful to me and far better than the bowtie pasta!
It was okay, for a salad - I think the bigger issue is that it didn't have any aspect to it that made it feel like a main course. However, the tomatoes were not ripe enough and the single-focus green was a little monotonous. But I think I would have a more positive opinion if it were a mainline salad accompanying a main.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
How are the special meal substitutions in comparison to UA's original FC meals for the respective cabins/routes? (I'm aware they're only available on "most North America premium cabin flights 2,000 miles or longer").

For example, in the AA forum (and lucky them for having a comprehensive selection, and not being restricted to 2,000+ miles), they usually find the Diabetic & Hindu special meals to be reliable options for lunch & dinner. I would TOTALLY order the Diabetic meal option on UA if they even offered it.

What's your experience ordering a Special Meal on UA?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
UA 5523: MSP to SFO
March 3, 2019
Embraer ERJ-175, Dinner

It seems like everyone is ordering the pasta salad, which might be a better choice. I was misled into thinking this was the soba noodle salad as it was described as the "Asian salad with chicken". It was really anything but... pretty disappointing overall, but I think the biggest issue was that it was just very sparse. It was mostly a pile of arugula, which isn't going to fill anyone up, and the chicken feels like a forced pairing. The Express cookie is probably pulling at least half the caloric weight here.

That's a pretty thin layer of arugula - you can see the bottom of the bowl in numerous spots. And there is nothing "Asian" about that not even the disgusting sugared dressing, which appears to be labeled "Balsamic Vinagrette."

Looks like a mis-cater to me.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I had the same exact salad, portion & presentation for IAH-PHL on 2/24. Mis-caters abound these days, but I guess I'd prefer it over the flipside.

Such as this:

Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MrGood
I had the same exact salad, portion & presentation for IAH-PHL on 2/24. Mis-caters abound these days, but I guess I'd prefer it over the flipside.

Such as this:

Did the FA eat the other half?
cesco.g and findark like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:10 am

Did the FA eat the other half?
Seeing how often I find the FA in the jumpseat eating the same entree after telling me "sorry, we're out of that", I wouldn't necessarily rule that out
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt, Marriott
Very good Hindu meals

Originally Posted by MrGood
How are the special meal substitutions in comparison to UA's original FC meals for the respective cabins/routes? (I'm aware they're only available on "most North America premium cabin flights 2,000 miles or longer").

For example, in the AA forum (and lucky them for having a comprehensive selection, and not being restricted to 2,000+ miles), they usually find the Diabetic & Hindu special meals to be reliable options for lunch & dinner. I would TOTALLY order the Diabetic meal option on UA if they even offered it.

What's your experience ordering a Special Meal on UA?
I've had the Hindu meals on my last four flights on UA, all during lunchtime. All four were excellent. I'm not a vegetarian, but I really liked these vegetarian Hindu meals. There were veggies, rice, dal, bread and other things. The only thing I didn't like was the Gulab Jamun dessert, which I found to be too sweet.
cesco.g and MrGood like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a pretty thin layer of arugula - you can see the bottom of the bowl in numerous spots. And there is nothing "Asian" about that not even the disgusting sugared dressing, which appears to be labeled "Balsamic Vinagrette."

I think the FA was just out of date, since the "chicken salad" was the soba noodle one the previous month (and also currently on eastern division midcons, but not sure if OO flies any of those). I had just had it on IAD-MSP and that's why I fell for it; I should have noticed the other choice was not the roast beef sandwich and been suspicious.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
IAH-MSY 9 Mar 1205 pm

HotelHacker likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:15 pm

UA116 - HKG-GUM Hindu Meal

Hindu meal. Pretty good choice. Regular choice was stir fried noodles or salmon. The Hindu meal includes a curried chicken and chickpeas.
cogitate, HotelHacker and MrGood like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
That's a pretty thin layer of arugula - you can see the bottom of the bowl in numerous spots.
Good eye! I thought all the white spots were from the cheese toppings, haha. Definitely a bit deceiving!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.