Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2019 Let's Eat - Economy Class (Domestic & International)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
United's Choice Menu for Inflight Meals Economy Dining Page (Includes current fresh product (Bistro on Board/BoB) and snack offerings (Snack shop) with pictures and prices)

Related threads
2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service
2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business
and the 2018 thread is here:2018 Let's Eat - Economy Class (Domestic & International)
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Economy Class (Domestic & International)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I am fairly new to UA and shocked they don't offer food Midwest/South/East Coast to Hawaii. Those are long flights, and the competition on DL, AA, and HA all offer free food for economy. I wonder why UA hasn't added it to catch up?
When I first started flying, the shuttle flights from DCA to LGA had free food.

Free food, like all perqs, is more likely to show up on flights with lots of business travelers.
Old May 16, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dilanesp
When I first started flying, the shuttle flights from DCA to LGA had free food.

Free food, like all perqs, is more likely to show up on flights with lots of business travelers.
But OP is right, UA is the only carrier not serving complimentary meals on these long Midwest/East Coast - Hawaii flights.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH FT, Marriott Plat, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PPlus
Originally Posted by DCA writer
UA just replaced the chicken and bacon wrap with "chicken tinga tacos," which I tried on my way home from SFO last week. Verdict: meh. The filling ("Chicken tinga, white rice, diced chicken, Monterey Jack cheese sauce, black beans, roasted red bell peppers and green salsa") is not at all substantial, the rice seemed a better fit for a burrito, and the outer edges of one of the two tacos had dried out from the heat. I suspect I would have liked the wrap better, but now I'll have to wait for that to make its return to the BoB menu at some unknown point in the future.
+1 Had it on EWR-LAX. This being the first 3+h domestic flight in a while for me I even skipped the PS E+ meal which looked surprisingly good - just to try and find out is was quite underwhelming
Old May 17, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
The sriracha scrambled egg skillet is my new favorite breakfast choice. The potatoes make it a substantial meal, and the heat of the salsa and that sauce really wake it up.

kaffir76 and bdw1120 like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA
The sriracha scrambled egg skillet is my new favorite breakfast choice. The potatoes make it a substantial meal, and the heat of the salsa and that sauce really wake it up.
I found it a close 2nd to the original omelet/skillet scramble that was offered. The original one was pretty much what they serve in Polaris for breakfast.
Old May 17, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold

Throw in the double Bloody Mary and it's the Breakfast for Champions!
DCA writer, onthesam and BOSskier like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
UA just replaced the chicken and bacon wrap with "chicken tinga tacos," which I tried on my way home from SFO last week. Verdict: meh. The filling ("Chicken tinga, white rice, diced chicken, Monterey Jack cheese sauce, black beans, roasted red bell peppers and green salsa") is not at all substantial, the rice seemed a better fit for a burrito, and the outer edges of one of the two tacos had dried out from the heat. I suspect I would have liked the wrap better, but now I'll have to wait for that to make its return to the BoB menu at some unknown point in the future.

We all have our own taste, but I like the tacos much better than the chicken wraps.
Old May 28, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
UA1138 ORD-IAD
5:50PM MAY, 2019

First Y journey in years (aside from a few short hops here and there on the ER4).

Pretzel twists were distributed to all. I requested a bloody mary and one of those tapas boxes I've read so much about.

Bloody Mary Course

More bloody mary mix than you can shake a stick at!

FA handed me the entire can of mix can with my bloody. It was warm. Would have needed at least 3 more vodkas and a couple scoops of ice to make that work but those didn't materialize. Next time I will order more.

Tapas Box

Tapas Box and Pretzel Twists!

Tapas box came as described. Based on what I've read on FT, I was worried there wouldn't be olives in the box but I was wrong to have been concerned. I was full of delicious spreads and carbohydrates and olives and almonds and relatively fun to eat. The salted caramel was a nice touch. It was somewhat difficult to assemble and eat such a meal in confined quarters as evidenced by the bruschetta spread that ended up on my white shirt. My dry cleaner is confident she can remove the stain. I shared the almonds with my seatmate.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold

Had this the other day. I was unimpressed. The whole thing was dry, with none of the creaminess scrambled eggs should have. In short, the eggs should be mushy and the potatoes have texture. In this dish, the potatoes were a mush and the eggs were rubbery solids.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onthesam
UA1138 ORD-IAD
5:50PM MAY, 2019

First Y journey in years (aside from a few short hops here and there on the ER4).

Pretzel twists were distributed to all. I requested a bloody mary and one of those tapas boxes I've read so much about.

Bloody Mary Course
img
More bloody mary mix than you can shake a stick at!

FA handed me the entire can of mix can with my bloody. It was warm. Would have needed at least 3 more vodkas and a couple scoops of ice to make that work but those didn't materialize. Next time I will order more.

Tapas Box
img
Tapas Box and Pretzel Twists!

Tapas box came as described. Based on what I've read on FT, I was worried there wouldn't be olives in the box but I was wrong to have been concerned. I was full of delicious spreads and carbohydrates and olives and almonds and relatively fun to eat. The salted caramel was a nice touch. It was somewhat difficult to assemble and eat such a meal in confined quarters as evidenced by the bruschetta spread that ended up on my white shirt. My dry cleaner is confident she can remove the stain. I shared the almonds with my seatmate.
The olives went away for a while, replaced by some blah dried fruit, but I am also glad to have found they returned several months ago.

A trick I learned from anonymous-person-across-the-aisle once is to pull the aluminium/plastic cover for each mini-tub off, and then stick it down on the inside of the cardboard box. Then place the plastic mini-tub on top of the cover. The food residue works as an adhesive with the cardboard, and the top-side of the cover is frictive enough to keep the tub from sliding.

Still have to be careful of your shirt, but it makes assembly a bit easier.
onthesam likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Here are a few meals in Y that I had the opportunity to partake of over the past month or so:

2019-04-30 UA783 LAX-IAD - "Dinner"

Burgers lasted until at least row 21 - Brioche buns!

Should note that I requested and received a can of Pringles as an appropriate accompaniment.

2019-05-09 UA1759 IAH-LAX - "lunch/dinner"

Ah, "tacos":

David
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Were those tacos as soggy as they look?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: united
I didn't like the tacos. They reminded me of "Jack in the Box tacos" here on the west coast- all mushy and mealy. But some people love Jack in the Box tacos, asnd therefore it doesn't surprise me some people like these too.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Were those tacos as soggy as they look?
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I didn't like the tacos. They reminded me of "Jack in the Box tacos" here on the west coast- all mushy and mealy. But some people love Jack in the Box tacos, asnd therefore it doesn't surprise me some people like these too.
Ah, the downfall of pre-made tacos with "wet" filling. Yes, the tortilla-type things failed and/or had already failed when I opened the package. Otherwise I might have been able to take another picture. But at a certain point, my hands were too messy to do anything else besides a) finishing what I had left and b) finding sufficient napkins to clean up (since I couldn't go back with the drink and food service carts in the aisle to wash up in a lav).

To their credit, these tacos at least were with flavor - few BoB items can claim that and actually back it up.

David
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:24 pm

Does anyone know what the meal in coach for flight 198 (LAX-PVG/los angeles to shanghai) would look like? Any vegetarian options? Will it just be a lunch + midflight snack or will there also be a pre arrival meal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.