Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Uncontrollable (WX) IRROPS causing multiple nights stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uncontrollable (WX) IRROPS causing multiple nights stay?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by j2simpso
This *1000! The number of kettles
I think the first step should be to stop calling people kettles. Everyone deserves respect.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by joe_miami
That's great. If you have a minute, you should write in to United to tell them.
So you’re saying I should tell them that I abused the heck out of their PL, hotel and food vouchers and irrop privileges on one of the least reliable routes available during the worst time of the year?
jsloan and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Maybe leave out that part. Haha.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Not only is this correct, but flip comments about "sending the bill" to UA
Nothing "flip" about my suggestion. If it takes 10+ hours to drive there from ORD, then do a stop over on the way there. Even spending the night somewhere on the way with a rental car would have gotten the OP home 2 days earlier than how this ordeal appears to be working out. And besides, while there is snow on the ground, this is not the year 1890. Plenty of people are safely driving up and down Wisconsin and the UP as we speak.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Miggles
Nothing "flip" about my suggestion. If it takes 10+ hours to drive there from ORD, then do a stop over on the way there. Even spending the night somewhere on the way with a rental car would have gotten the OP home 2 days earlier than how this ordeal appears to be working out. And besides, while there is snow on the ground, this is not the year 1890. Plenty of people are safely driving up and down Wisconsin and the UP as we speak.
If the goal is to get there as soon as possible, then driving there is the fastest option (excluding MQT). I have actually done this when I had a time restriction.

However, while 10 hrs might sound like a lot less than 24, it’s 10 hours that you are forced to stay focused at all times or it could cost you your life (not something you want to do while jetlagged). Or you could take 24 hours sitting in a lounge or hotel resting, watching movie, or posting on FT forum.

I’m no stranger to driving great distances in snow condition, but what makes this much less appealing is the thought of driving while having le poopinator screaming and clawing to get out of his car seat the entire trip.

Between that and taking a mini-vacation around ORD areas (mostly spent in/out of PL/hotels) for a couple days? If I had to do it all over again I think I’d still choose the same option. I guess it was a good thing I wasn’t in a hurry to get anywhere.

The real time constraints, however, was supplies. We prepared contingencies in anticipation for getting stuck, but then there was only so much you could carry on a carry-on.
wrp96 and ajGoes like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Does UA cover hotel laundry in these instances?

I have to say in these days with electronic prescriptions and nationwide pharmacy chains, it's probably much less of a hassle to get stuck somewhere temporarily (at least from a medical perspective).
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by pon18n
The thought of driving while having le poopinator screaming and clawing to get out of his car seat the entire trip.
Travel with an infant is challenging enough without delays. Good for you for keeping your sense of humor.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
And I suppose having a poopinator at hand is also one heck of a bargaining power.
Any plans of hiring out the poopinator to other stranded pax during IRROPS?
You could make a fortune!!

wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How did the poopinator do on the long flights? Scream and claw to escape the whole time?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Having been to the polaris lounge 3 days in a row, many of the staffs here recognized us. One lady even went out of her way to check and noticed that our seats weren’t together and she managed to fix that for us.
Wow - 3 days in a row hanging out in the Polaris Lounge! That could be a lot of cappuccinos, glasses of champagne, and order-off-the-menu food.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SAN 1K

Wow - 3 days in a row hanging out in the Polaris Lounge! That could be a lot of cappuccinos, glasses of champagne, and order-off-the-menu food.
And, if I'm not mistaken, two days of being denied entrance to the UCs. Haha.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by SAN 1K

If this were AC you would have a friendly visit by corporate security after the second hour in their signature suite lounge

-James
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How did the poopinator do on the long flights? Scream and claw to escape the whole time?
Not too terrible, actually. He was asleep almost the entire time. When he wake up mommy just knocks him out with milk.

...which means by the time we get to hotel, he was 100% energetic and wanted to keep falling off the hotel bed (Hilton ran out of crib) FOR THE ENTIRE NIGHT.

Another reason we didn't want to drive is that we think he had been forced to stay still for far too long. At least with a hotel he could roam.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Starwood Platinum
I may have missed this in the earlier discussions, but since this is a weather rather than mechanical issue what actual responsibility for overnight accommodation, vouchers, food etc.does UA have in this situation? I ask this not to be critical of the OP or UA, but rather as a person that has had to do multiple drives from IAD to BDL due to weather delays/cancellations following an incoming international flight rather than hanging around IAD for interminable lengths of time to maybe get out of there.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:49 am
Suspended

OP is both 1K and *A Gold on an international itinerary. That was the key here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.