Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Snack Box contents & (paused for COVID) Choice Menu items-Bistro on Board & Snacks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Snack Box contents & (paused for COVID) Choice Menu items-Bistro on Board & Snacks

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 5:02 pm

What are the choice menu offerings on the international flights for the 1K free item? I know 1Ks are entitled to a snackbox option on international flights right? Do they offer the mezze sampler or anything else?
Old May 3, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I have never been impressed with the Bistro on Board selections. Opted for the cheeseburger the last 2 or 3 flights and it's always been a disappointment. I'd rather grab Wendy's in the airport or better yet, a decent salad or sandwich elsewhere. Not interested in any of the shelf-stable boxes (aka carb-and-fat-hell) and the new Cheese Sampler is no exception.
Yeah, the free food item for 1K's is a nice touch, but UA's choices are pretty bad unless you want a greasy cheeseburger. As an example, Air Canada actually has a much better choice of items on their menu, and some of the options are reasonably healthy, tasty, and reasonably priced. I'd really like to see UA add some better options like AC's Pangoa bowl.
EWR764 likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gcashin
...unless you want a greasy cheeseburger....
Which seems to be popular - and the first thing they run out of.
Air Houston and mistaks like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Which seems to be popular - and the first thing they run out of.
It's popular, but potentially due to the lack of other desirable fresh/hot options. As much as I think the cheeseburger is a greasy mess, I'm a frequent contributor to the cheeseburger runouts because I often don't have time to grab a real dinner in the airport, and it's often the lesser of two evils between the usual two fresh/hot items. Portions are also small on many of the other items, so the cheeseburger is sometimes the only dinner substitute that's reasonably filling.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
On the bistro menu it says lettuce/tomato/pickle is available upon request for the Bistro cheeseburger. Has anyone actually received this? I ordered one yesterday and was handed the little condiment box and assumed it was in there, but there was just ketchup/mayo/mustard. Seems hard to believe they would cater separate little packages of fresh lettuce/tomato/pickle just for the cheeseburger people?

Cheeseburger was decent but messy. Needs more napkins and a wet-nap.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by paule123
On the bistro menu it says lettuce/tomato/pickle is available upon request for the Bistro cheeseburger. Has anyone actually received this? ...
Yes.
I was asked and said yes.
Seems hard to believe they would cater separate little packages of fresh lettuce/tomato/pickle just for the cheeseburger people?
It is separate and I got the impression many pass on it.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
On the bistro menu it says lettuce/tomato/pickle is available upon request for the Bistro cheeseburger. Has anyone actually received this? I ordered one yesterday and was handed the little condiment box and assumed it was in there, but there was just ketchup/mayo/mustard. Seems hard to believe they would cater separate little packages of fresh lettuce/tomato/pickle just for the cheeseburger people?

Cheeseburger was decent but messy. Needs more napkins and a wet-nap.
Lettuce, tomato. pickles come in a separate baggie and I've always gotten it. FA probably just forgot yours.

I always have an extra paper towel or two in carry-on. Handy for various unforeseen reasons, but necessary for cheeseburger.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
The decline and shrinkage of the United snack box...

Circa 2010 (gratuitous display of a tulip):

Circa 2016:

Circa 2020:

Now (2021):

Less (8.24 oz / 234 g) and less (6.76 oz / 191 g) and less (5.80 oz / 164 g).

David
Dyce and zeer0 like this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DELee
The decline and shrinkage of the United snack box...

Circa 2010 (gratuitous display of a tulip):

Circa 2016:

Circa 2020:

Now (2021):

Less (8.24 oz / 234 g) and less (6.76 oz / 191 g) and less (5.80 oz / 164 g).

David
Too bad I moved back to the Northern Mariana Islands and will have to miss the "FlyerTalk Do" where you conduct your archaeological taste test. I was looking forward to a bite of history.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Wow, that’s a throwback! I think I at least have a preference for the minimalist style box of the PMUA era.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More snackbox archaeology: Classic vs. Takeoff

Classic box (circa 2019):

Takeoff box (now):

So, 0.77 oz (22 g) more matter included in Takeoff box vs. Classic box. How much of that delta is actual edible material is for a future assessment...

David
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 4:09 pm

Programs: HH Dia, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
Tapas box changes?

Flight today and Tapas box no longer has breadsticks but sub’d in a fruit tart. I usually eat the marinara with bread sticks and hummus with crackers. Sticks are gone but marinara is still there so I guess will have to use
the spoon?
Old Aug 17, 2021, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by traveling bijorn
Flight today and Tapas box no longer has breadsticks but sub’d in a fruit tart. I usually eat the marinara with bread sticks and hummus with crackers. Sticks are gone but marinara is still there so I guess will have to use
the spoon?
I've found the new takeoff box to be a great replacement fr the tapas box.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA Takeoff (Classic) Snackbox vs. AS Northwest Deli Picnic Pack

Well, in the greater scheme of things, it turns out you can get less for less money on AS vs. UA right now.

FWIW, here's a greater exposition of what I got from AS ("Now you can order food up to two weeks before your flight").

Reminder: The current (2021) UA Takeoff snack box ($10 stored payment)

UA's picture (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...my/menu.html):

My pictures:

Comparison: The current (2021) AS Northwest Deli Picnic Pack ($6.50 pre-ordered)

As noted in my post in the AS Forum, ignore the picture, read the text:
What you get:

David
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 6:36 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by traveling bijorn
I usually eat the marinara with bread sticks and hummus with crackers. Sticks are gone but marinara is still there so I guess will have to use
the spoon?
You could always use your tongue
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.