Wiki Posts
Search

UA policies for FC cabin on A319

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
UA policies for FC cabin on A319

So just got off a flight and fortunately I was the first to board in the FC cabin. There was no room in the overhead compartments over row 1 (there are only 2 rows), and it was obvious it was the carryon for the FAs (since I was the first person in FC). I put my carryon and my handbag above row 2 (I was sitting in row 1).

As others in FC got on there was insufficient room for carryon and the overhead above the first rows in Y was full so others in row 1 needed to put their luggage in the overhead five rows back. The FA gave me back my handbag (to create room in the overhead) and I confirmed she was okay with me having it behind my knees and she said no problem - normally they take my handbag from me and put it in the overhead.

When one of the pax asked if the small bag above row 1 could be moved (asking the rest of sitting in FC if it was okay to move into the space above row 2) the FA said it was hers and was not to be moved.

When we were coming into land, the other pax in row 1 asked about getting the carryon from six rows back and the FA said they would need to wait until everyone deplaned. The pax explained they had a tight connection so she brought the bags forward and moved her luggage at that time and told the pax not to say she never did anything for them.

So my questions are:

1. Does UA expect that only the overhead above row 2 is available for pax FC on the A319 and row 1 is for use only by the FAs?
2. Can I have my handbag behind my knees in row 1 for takeoff and landing?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, the FA may place her luggage in the OH. Not sure where else it would go.

No, you may not have your handbag behind your knees for taxi, takeoff, or landing. That is a specific violation of UA's safety policy which, once filed with FAA becomes enforceable as an FAA violation. If it bothers you, then you should report it, along with a description of the FA who told you that you could do it, to the FAA.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:49 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Often1
Yes, the FA may place her luggage in the OH. Not sure where else it would go.

No, you may not have your handbag behind your knees for taxi, takeoff, or landing. That is a specific violation of UA's safety policy which, once filed with FAA becomes enforceable as an FAA violation. If it bothers you, then you should report it, along with a description of the FA who told you that you could do it, to the FAA.
And while you are at it, report the snippy comment about her not ever doing anything for them.
drewguy, chavala and FriendlySkies like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
As to #1 , that is NOT the intent of the overhead above row 1. That said, I experienced the same thing on the 319 last week. FA's can't leave the plane until it's empty, so having them put their bags in the back makes a lot more sense than having a passenger with a tight connection do so.

#2 is easy. ABSOLUTELY NOT allowed to have your bag behind your legs. Total violation. The idea is to have all aisles and paths clear in case of emergency. Plus, what happens if you "release" the bag on take off or landing? Think projectile. Total rogue behavior by this FA.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is just another example of UA employees not going the extra mile to put the customer first.

You absolutely should not put anything behind your legs during takeoff and landing - regardless of the row you are in. Some people still do it, many FAs don't see it and some FAs even think that is allowed. I think they did a study after a British Midland crash in Manchester in the late 80s (?) and bags behind legs contributed to the casualty toll.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
No overhead space in F due to crew bags is a frequent problem on the 319.
findark likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
As to #1 , that is NOT the intent of the overhead above row 1. That said, I experienced the same thing on the 319 last week. FA's can't leave the plane until it's empty, so having them put their bags in the back makes a lot more sense than having a passenger with a tight connection do so.

#2 is easy. ABSOLUTELY NOT allowed to have your bag behind your legs. Total violation. The idea is to have all aisles and paths clear in case of emergency. Plus, what happens if you "release" the bag on take off or landing? Think projectile. Total rogue behavior by this FA.
1 - Without a closet on the airbus fleet, FAs need their bags nearby in order to be able to get their inflight shoes (flats), to get their apron, and personal galley equipment. Having the FC FA put their bags in the back would mean a necessity to go all the way to the back to retrieve these items after takeoff, leaving the front of the plane without any FA presence. Furthermore, just like a passenger, FAs are supposed to keep their eyes on their belongings. A bag in the back of the plane means they have no idea if someone is rummaging through their stuff (it's happened).

That said, if memory serves, the standard position of the FA's roller bag is aft of row 7, and the smaller personal item underneath the last row of FC. Occasionally, this may not be practical.

2 - Yeah, no way that should've been allowed, nor should the comment have been made.
gcashin likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fezzington
if memory serves, the standard position of the FA's roller bag is aft of row 7, and the smaller personal item underneath the last row of FC. Occasionally, this may not be practical.
That may be the rule, but IME it is not the common practice.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I've made a late connection onto a 319 sitting in row 2, and the GA forced me to check my bag (and it took forever to be delivered) . it was obnoxious and I was steaming...

The 319 F overhead config is ridiculous, there's clearly insufficient space, so doing anything other than reserving it for the supposedly premium pax is the not the rigth thing to do.
drewguy likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
pmUA crews used to stow their bags forward of the exit rows. Changes you will like ^
FriendlySkies and demkr like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
1 - Without a closet on the airbus fleet, FAs need their bags nearby in order to be able to get their inflight shoes (flats), to get their apron, and personal galley equipment. Having the FC FA put their bags in the back would mean a necessity to go all the way to the back to retrieve these items after takeoff, leaving the front of the plane without any FA presence. Furthermore, just like a passenger, FAs are supposed to keep their eyes on their belongings. A bag in the back of the plane means they have no idea if someone is rummaging through their stuff (it's happened.
There are plenty of occasions when the FAs leave the front of the aircraft without any FA presence such as when they take items to the rear of the aircraft. I don’t see this as such a huge issue that would prevent them from storing their bags in the back of the Y cabin.

Perhaps UA should install a lockable overhead bin at the rear of the Y cabin for the FA bags.
D582, UA_Flyer, Miggles and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...leaving the front of the plane without any FA presence...
This happens all the time on regional jets w/ one or two FAs.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:06 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
The 319 F overhead config is ridiculous, there's clearly insufficient space, so doing anything other than reserving it for the supposedly premium pax is the not the rigth thing to do.
Perhaps the best way is to remove "F" class from this airplane and pretend your flying WN
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:17 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Add my name to the haterade chorus...I hate the 319. In my normally weekly PHL-IAH flights the 319 has been brought in often this late Autumn and Winter, and I miss the 175s and row A.

Regarding the row 1 foot baggage that is not just a UA violation but an FAA one.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
That said, if memory serves, the standard position of the FA's roller bag is aft of row 7, and the smaller personal item underneath the last row of FC. Occasionally, this may not be practical.
I definitely see this a fair bit, and I think it's a reasonable compromise given the space constraints on the 319.

But it is the one aircraft where I end up in Y far too often due to the ratio.
gcashin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.