UA policies for FC cabin on A319

Old Dec 27, 18, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by entropy View Post
I've made a late connection onto a 319 sitting in row 2, and the GA forced me to check my bag (and it took forever to be delivered) . it was obnoxious and I was steaming...

The 319 F overhead config is ridiculous, there's clearly insufficient space, so doing anything other than reserving it for the supposedly premium pax is the not the rigth thing to do.
UA knows this, and clearly doesn't care.
Old Dec 27, 18, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
UA knows this, and clearly doesn't care.
how would you generate more OH space on the 319?
Old Dec 27, 18, 8:14 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Agreed, Totally unnecessary to spend significant dollars to reconfigure the aircraft interior. The fix is to have FA's move their baggage back a few rows as others have suggested.
Old Dec 27, 18, 10:13 am

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
The issue isn't OH space overall (although that's also a problem, but not unique to A319. It's using the very limited OH space in the F cabin for FA baggage, which causes F pax to place their bags well behind them.

Agree that a sensible policy would be to require FA bags only after of Row 8 or 9, other than perhaps small personal effects), in order to leave room for F pax and Row 7 bulkhead pax, who have no underseat storage.
halls120 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 18, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Yes, the FA may place her luggage in the OH. Not sure where else it would go.

No, you may not have your handbag behind your knees for taxi, takeoff, or landing. That is a specific violation of UA's safety policy which, once filed with FAA becomes enforceable as an FAA violation. If it bothers you, then you should report it, along with a description of the FA who told you that you could do it, to the FAA.
Only if the FA is a woman? Where do the male FAs place their luggage?
Old Dec 27, 18, 10:46 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fezzington View Post
1 - Without a closet on the airbus fleet, FAs need their bags nearby in order to be able to get their inflight shoes (flats), to get their apron, and personal galley equipment. Having the FC FA put their bags in the back would mean a necessity to go all the way to the back to retrieve these items after takeoff, leaving the front of the plane without any FA presence. Furthermore, just like a passenger, FAs are supposed to keep their eyes on their belongings. A bag in the back of the plane means they have no idea if someone is rummaging through their stuff (it's happened).

That said, if memory serves, the standard position of the FA's roller bag is aft of row 7, and the smaller personal item underneath the last row of FC. Occasionally, this may not be practical.

2 - Yeah, no way that should've been allowed, nor should the comment have been made.
#1 - I have never seen an FA go to their bags for anything, let alone a flight required item during the flight.
chavala likes this.
Old Dec 27, 18, 11:07 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by PushingTin View Post
#1 - I have never seen an FA go to their bags for anything, let alone a flight required item during the flight.
Frankly, I have never really monitored if a FA accessed a bag but I do not remember that being something that happened very often. Honestly, I think accessing the bag might bring some ire of FC passengers getting validation that the bins were taken by FA.
Old Dec 27, 18, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I have seen this situation as well. I have also seen people in row 1 having to put their bag in the overhead in row 2 or the first couple of rows in economy. I have also seen pretty much every time if the person who had stored their bags further back ask the other pax for assistance in retrieving their bag the other pax having no issue retrieving the bag so that the person can make their tight connection.

That being said I believe that the FAs should not use the storage in row 1 or bulkhead in economy for any reason on any aircraft. The people in those seats have no choice but to store the bags overhead. It's just simple courtesy.
Old Dec 27, 18, 11:26 am
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Thank you for the responses.

For #2 I now know it is FAA policy so can confidently state this going forward. There is significant legroom in row 1 so do like to sit there for that reason.

For #1 I am uncertain how to address the issue as certainly by the time I am on the flight it is too late to say something and do not want to get into a debate with the FAs about it when I am on the flight. I actually try to be the pleasant and polite pax and more than once (including both of my flights yesterday) FAs thanked me for my courtesy towards them. I am not looking for thanks I treat everyone the way I would like to be treated. I may write into United with the suggestions a couple of you have made. Thank you.
Old Dec 28, 18, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat

Has this question been answered? Is there a policy as to where the FAs should be putting their bags?
Because I can’t believe the higher-ups would think it’s OK for them to poach FC overhead space.
I would love to know the rule because next time I will definitely point it out to them. I’m getting a bit sick of power tripping FAs.
Old Dec 28, 18, 11:10 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott G, Hilton G, SPG G
Originally Posted by chavala View Post
I would love to know the rule because next time I will definitely point it out to them.
That will turn out splendidly for you I predict
drewguy likes this.
Old Dec 28, 18, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles View Post

That will turn out splendidly for you I predict
What are you suggesting? The FA will have me kicked off? So instead we should all just bow our heads and bring our bags back 10 rows? Nothing will ever change if everyone is so afraid of speaking up.
Old Dec 28, 18, 1:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Just asked my F/As about this, hereís the response.

The Flight Attendantís manual states where the bags are supposed to be based on the position they are working on the aircraft. The A319 does have some F/As storing their bags in the 1st Class overhead bins. I am told itís because there is limited closet space.

I donít disagree with many of your feelings on the issue. However before you get on the F/As about this, understand they are just following their guidelines and not out to get you.

Donít like the policy, best to write United about this one.

Hope this clears the air a bit.

Kacee likes this.

Last edited by clubord; Dec 28, 18 at 7:06 pm
Old Dec 28, 18, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chavala View Post

Has this question been answered? Is there a policy as to where the FAs should be putting their bags?
Because I canít believe the higher-ups would think itís OK for them to poach FC overhead space.
I would love to know the rule because next time I will definitely point it out to them. Iím getting a bit sick of power tripping FAs.
Policy is for at least some of the FAs to poach the FC bin space.
Old Dec 28, 18, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Policy is for at least some of the FAs to poach the FC bin space.
As long as it's the policy, it's not "poaching" and that's fine. I don't like it, but nothing to complain directly tot he FA about.