Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why not a LAX/SFO-SYD double daily?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
What I have heard is that they are looking at an upgauge on SFO-SYD to the 77W. I’d personally love this, because even buying a J fare has become so challenging at certain times — close in I often can’t book the departure day that I want, and end up paying full J. They could easily fill the extra 12 J seats on a 77W at peak times and not create yield challenges.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
They're looking at SFO-BNE of course, which would make more sense than even more capacity to SYD as they'd have a monopoly on the route. Given the poor performance of IAHSYD, they need to be cautious on adding even more capacity. SFOSYD, or maybe even more likely, LAXSYD would be expected to get an UPG to the new C seats (reconfigured 772's?) once the 787-10 aircraft enter the fleet and remove pressure on the Europe capacity.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:43 pm

I would surmise that the majority of the passengers (those down the back of the bus) going Australia - US are staying in Southern California os Las Vegas. For them, the early morning arrival does not make much sense, as they usually can't get into their accommodation until mid to late afternoon. Also, I can't see the logic in having so many flights coming into SYD, it certainly isn't the main tourist destination in Australia. For those staying in SYD from flights arriving early in the morning, you have the same situation with accommodation. It seems to me that the timings are mainly for those at the pointy end.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
I would rather see ord-syd

air NZ can make ord-Akl so a little tweaking and Chicago Sydney would be fantastic
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
I would rather see ord-syd

air NZ can make ord-Akl so a little tweaking and Chicago Sydney would be fantastic
Sydney is 1300 miles from Auckland.

UA doesn’t fly an aircraft that’s capable of ORD-SYD commercial service. It’s 450 miles longer than LAX-SIN, which proved to be too far to be profitable.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
IAH-SYD was intended to enable a one-connection ride to / from SYD for point farther east that don’t have a nonstop to LAX / SFO.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by jsloan

UA doesn’t fly an aircraft that’s capable of ORD-SYD commercial service. It’s 450 miles longer than LAX-SIN, which proved to be too far to be profitable.

the main point is “ profitable” here are lots of good ideas but in he end they need to make money

how is Qantas doing with the Perth London loading?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by phkc070408
IAH-SYD was intended to enable a one-connection ride to / from SYD for point farther east that don’t have a nonstop to LAX / SFO.
Correct. Something Qantas/AA have been able to do for some time via the SYD-DFW flights.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Given the poor performance of IAHSYD
What poor performance is that? It’s on par with SFO. Loads are certainly higher than LAX currently.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by jsloan

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an engine PIP for the 789 that could make it work.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:10 am

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
I would surmise that the majority of the passengers (those down the back of the bus) going Australia - US are staying in Southern California os Las Vegas. For them, the early morning arrival does not make much sense, as they usually can't get into their accommodation until mid to late afternoon.
For sure, a lot of them are staying in California, but it's kind of telling that all of the airlines serving Australia/NZ have expanded service by pushing further east into the US, and not doing wingtip flying or daytime flights from California.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by jmoorfoot
I would surmise that the majority of the passengers (those down the back of the bus) going Australia - US are staying in Southern California os Las Vegas. For them, the early morning arrival does not make much sense, as they usually can't get into their accommodation until mid to late afternoon. Also, I can't see the logic in having so many flights coming into SYD, it certainly isn't the main tourist destination in Australia. For those staying in SYD from flights arriving early in the morning, you have the same situation with accommodation. It seems to me that the timings are mainly for those at the pointy end.
I've done this trip ~30 times, not had a problem checking in on arrival from US flight. The hotels are set up for this, it is offset by the late checkouts/check-ins of the ME/EU/Asia departure arrivals.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jmoorfoot
I would surmise that the majority of the passengers (those down the back of the bus) going Australia - US are staying in Southern California os Las Vegas.
If that's true, they're only staying in LA because that's where the flights go. Many/most of those people will continue to their desired destinations after a day or two. And I would certainly not assume Las Vegas is a big attraction to Australians.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And I would certainly not assume Las Vegas is a big attraction to Australians.
You only have to check ANY of the Australian travel sites to see that this isn't the case. ALL have LA, LV, & the grand canyon as their headline US tours, usually with a couple of days in Disneyland as well.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
the main point is “ profitable” here are lots of good ideas but in he end they need to make money
Right. They might be able to get the airframe there, but if they have to have massive load restrictions, it won’t make sense to sell it.

Originally Posted by prestonh
I wouldn't be surprised if there is an engine PIP for the 789 that could make it work.
I mean, I guess that’s possible, but LAX-SIN was the longest 789 flight, and it came with some pretty significant load restrictions westbound. They’d need nearly 5% more effective range to run ORD-SYD than they needed for LAX-SIN (based on great circle distances, not ETOPS-certified flight plans). If there is a PIP that can generate a 5% fuel economy improvement, I guarantee UA would be all over it.

The 777-200LR might be able to make this distance, and the 350-900ULR definitely could; it’s shorter than EWR-SIN. But UA has neither.

The 777-8 might be able to do it. UA doesn’t currently have any orders for it, but Boeing will be pushing it hard as UA attempts to figure out the long-term replacement for the current 772s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.