Wiki Posts
Search

Portugal trip next June (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Portugal trip next June (2019)

So I have a family trip to Portugal next June and am looking for suggestions from folks who have done these legs. This will be my first (only?) year as a 1K and I'd like to use these lovely GPUs if possible but I have decades flying in Economy so am not too broken up over flying in E+ either. I'm more concerned with earning PQM than RDMs.

I need to be in Lisbon on Jun 9 so could fly out Jun 8 or 7 going through Dulles or Newark. I really hate Newark but EWR-LIS is a 767-400ER versus 757-200 on IAD-LIS. The return from Lisbon would be Jun 30 or even Jul 1. I have a side trip to the Azores but it seems like the best thing there would be to book separately since I am heading over from Porto (OPO) and returning to LIS to catch the flight home. It would be really nice to combine the itinerary so I could just check my bags through from TER and just have my carryon for the overnight in LIS but that's not worth the premium UA seems to want to charge me -- or do you think a UA agent could work the same way Expedia or Google Flights seems to? The other complication is that while I'd like to try to get an upgrade for the UA legs, I'm willing to pay the roughly $200 extra for J/I fare to/from the Azores.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Where (approx.) in the US does your trip begin?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Sorry, that would have been helpful. Just outside DEN.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Sorry, that would have been helpful. Just outside DEN.
When searching for flights and upgrade space also consider DEN-LHR connecting to TAP Portugal or DEN-FRA connecting to LH. Both are valid star alliance routings.

Just something to consider to open up more possibilities (and planes!) - both are served by 787s.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
When searching for flights and upgrade space also consider DEN-LHR connecting to TAP Portugal or DEN-FRA connecting to LH. Both are valid star alliance routings.

Just something to consider to open up more possibilities (and planes!) - both are served by 787s.
I used TAP via LHR on my trip to Portugal a couple of years ago. I was already in the UK. TAP was great and on the return leg I was upgraded (no instrument), and when I said thank you and asked why was told Y was oversold and as a *G member was upgraded. TAP generated much goodwill with me.

You would be able to use the GPUs DEN-LHR, and then connect (in Y) on TAP LHR-LIS.

Loved Portugal. Was there in July a couple of years ago.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
We also did LHR - LIS as a code share on TAP. Although the flight was delayed an hour they kept us informed and all aspects of the flight were just fine. Lisbon was a fun trip (first time for us). Enjoy!
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
mid-week 764 from EWR is IMO your best bet.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Via FRA or MUC with a cxn on LH is my preferred method. Last time I tried to book a connection with TP (last month) it kept erroring out. Called UA, they couldnt figure out how to ticket it, said TAP is “not playing nice”.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Call United, see if an agent can find space, book then and there with GPUs if so, if not call back later.

Separate ticket for the Azores flights makes sense, don't bother trying to use UA's booking portal there.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
So I have a family trip to Portugal next June and am looking for suggestions from folks who have done these legs. This will be my first (only?) year as a 1K and I'd like to use these lovely GPUs if possible but I have decades flying in Economy so am not too broken up over flying in E+ either. I'm more concerned with earning PQM than RDMs.

I need to be in Lisbon on Jun 9 so could fly out Jun 8 or 7 going through Dulles or Newark. I really hate Newark but EWR-LIS is a 767-400ER versus 757-200 on IAD-LIS. The return from Lisbon would be Jun 30 or even Jul 1. I have a side trip to the Azores but it seems like the best thing there would be to book separately since I am heading over from Porto (OPO) and returning to LIS to catch the flight home. It would be really nice to combine the itinerary so I could just check my bags through from TER and just have my carryon for the overnight in LIS but that's not worth the premium UA seems to want to charge me -- or do you think a UA agent could work the same way Expedia or Google Flights seems to? The other complication is that while I'd like to try to get an upgrade for the UA legs, I'm willing to pay the roughly $200 extra for J/I fare to/from the Azores.
I’m really glad you’re choosing TER instead of PDL, as TER currently has a lot less tourism than PDL and you will be able to experience a more genuine trip.

Feel free to ask any info related to TER.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks @milfweed20. We’re pretty comfortable with TER — both my siblings were born there and Mom and siblings have been back there recently.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
If you are willing to make a connection to use the GPU, consider MAD as well.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:37 am
Original Poster

I'd consider MAD but hadn't seen any flights going through there. I do see nice connections via LH through FRA or MUC -- anyone have experience with GPU or OpUp success on LH?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I'd consider MAD but hadn't seen any flights going through there.
IAD and EWR have directs in summer. I think it is seasonal.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I'd consider MAD but hadn't seen any flights going through there. I do see nice connections via LH through FRA or MUC -- anyone have experience with GPU or OpUp success on LH?
GPU success on LH is orders of magnitude higher than on UA. OPUP ... you really want to count on an oversell situation? Even if that is the case then LH will prioritize based on the fare class and status ... so unless you are on a very expensive fare, there is little chance for OPUPs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.