FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Do I check in at the Polaris counter? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1947253-do-i-check-polaris-counter.html)

hawkxp Dec 22, 2018 10:47 pm

Do I check in at the Polaris counter?

[deleted by mod after breaking into own thread]
Stupid newbie question. Flying DEN-LAX-SYD. DEN-LAX UA F. LAX-SYD Polaris (J). At DEN do I check in at the little Polaris counter?

cfischer Dec 23, 2018 1:05 am

Originally Posted by hawkxp (Post 30566341)
Thread bump, because I couldn't find any thread closer. Stupid newbie question. Flying DEN-LAX-SYD. DEN-LAX UA F. LAX-SYD Polaris (J). At DEN do I check in at the little Polaris counter?

you certainly may do that.

TomMM Dec 23, 2018 6:52 am

I would check in wherever the line is shortest.

sincx Dec 23, 2018 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM (Post 30567027)

Yes. I have seen many many times people line up 5+ deep at Premier check-in when regular check-in had no line.

Kacee Dec 23, 2018 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM (Post 30567027)

And/or most convenient.

If I have to drop a bag at SFO domestic, I almost always do it at the economy counter - closer to BART and the G garage. Don't think I've used the "Premier" area all year.

narvik Dec 23, 2018 2:24 pm

I ONLY check-in at dedicated Polaris/1K area for the much better trained personnel, the super short wait times, the wonderful 1K recognition, the IMMEDIATE help with China Visa verification, and all the free gifts.

:p

VWang1111 Dec 23, 2018 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 30568257)
I ONLY check-in at dedicated Polaris/1K area for the much better trained personnel, the super short wait times, the wonderful 1K recognition, the IMMEDIATE help with China Visa verification, and all the free gifts.

:p

What free gifts have you gotten?

narvik Dec 23, 2018 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by VWang1111 (Post 30568285)

What free gifts have you gotten?

The occasional smile at EWR?

(I was being facetious in my previous post, just in case that wasn't 100% clear...)

NikoLGA Dec 23, 2018 4:35 pm

Yes, instead of going to the Economy self-check in kiosk, you’ll go to the Polaris/1K Counter, where they will point to the kiosk near them, say “use that machine”, walk away, and only return if you are checking a bag.

Santander Dec 23, 2018 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis (Post 30568583)
Yes, instead of going to the Economy self-check in kiosk, you’ll go to the Polaris/1K Counter, where they will point to the kiosk near them, say “use that machine”, walk away, and only return if you are checking a bag.

No eye roll, even! Friendly skies indeed!

findark Dec 24, 2018 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30568067)
And/or most convenient.

If I have to drop a bag at SFO domestic, I almost always do it at the economy counter - closer to BART and the G garage. Don't think I've used the "Premier" area all year.

Do you get orange tags there?

Kacee Dec 24, 2018 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 30570299)
Do you get orange tags there?

Yes. If you're just dropping a bag there's no reason to walk all the way to the end.

milepig Dec 25, 2018 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis (Post 30568583)

We’re still talking about EWR, yes? The airport where smiles go to die.

BBSHOPSINGER Dec 26, 2018 9:24 am

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 30573483)

We’re still talking about EWR, yes? The airport where smiles go to die.

I believe the OP was asking about DEN. I usually find the Premier check-in area to be much less busy than the regular economy line, and they don't try to make you tag your own bags!