Wiki Posts
Search

UA passport validity policy?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, Hyatt Gold Passport
UA passport validity policy?

Planning a trip to Australia in March. Tickets are on QF but first segment is UA from DEN to LAX.

My wife's passport will have more than six months validity on date of departure but will be five days short of six months validity on our return date.

Everything I've read on US and Australia gov sites indicates passport need only be valid at entry, along with a valid visa or ETA. I entered my wife's info on the IATA docs check tool on the United web site and it says she can travel as long as she has an ETA, which she does.

My worry is that the UA check in agents in Denver could play it safe and apply a blanket six month validity rule past our return date without bothering to look up the specific requirements for Australia.

I would go ahead and renew now, but with the government shut down, I'm worried about potential delays processing the renewal. Any thoughts?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:01 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsnearline
Planning a trip to Australia in March. Tickets are on QF but first segment is UA from DEN to LAX.

My wife's passport will have more than six months validity on date of departure but will be five days short of six months validity on our return date.

Everything I've read on US and Australia gov sites indicates passport need only be valid at entry, along with a valid visa or ETA. I entered my wife's info on the IATA docs check tool on the United web site and it says she can travel as long as she has an ETA, which she does.

My worry is that the UA check in agents in Denver could play it safe and apply a blanket six month validity rule past our return date without bothering to look up the specific requirements for Australia.

I would go ahead and have her renew now, but with the government shut down, I'm worried about potential delays processing the renewal. Any thoughts?
They will follow whatever it says in TIMATIC

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC
Steve M and ual744777sta like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:19 am

I would process the renewal today. Use expedited for two week return. Minus the week holiday you should get it by mid January or maybe late January if the shutdown affects processing.

Having said that last time I did regular processing it came in two weeks without expedited processing.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by myperks
I would process the renewal today. Use expedited for two week return. Minus the week holiday you should get it by mid January or maybe late January if the shutdown affects processing.

Having said that last time I did regular processing it came in two weeks without expedited processing.
BUT won't a new PP# invalidate her ETA?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The US Passport Agency is fee based and won't be directly affected by the shutdown. I would renew.

US Passport Agency
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by United747
They will follow whatever it says in TIMATIC
That's right. A great many countries no longer have the 6-month passport validity rule. Any agent that didn't follow Timatic and made up their own rules in this regard would run into many passengers in this situation and would be quickly re-educated.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
You are going to need to renew, what happens if you have some unforseen troubles/delays on your trip? I know you are right on the gray area and would probably be let back in without delay but if a delay happened beyond your control that is when things get interesting and why they always ask for a cushion.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by chavala
BUT won't a new PP# invalidate her ETA?
$20 for a new ETA is a lot cheaper than buying another ticket.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:56 am
Original Poster

When I got my son's first passport, it took five days, with routine processing. The last time I renewed my passport by mail, it took thirteen weeks to process. Hence my hesitation. Also, if I renew now, I run the risk of the UA agents questioning the validity of the ETA.

I took a look at the ETA record. The latest date it says she can enter Australia matches the expiration date of her passport. So, she's good as far as the Aussies are concerned. It's just a question of how United will handle it.

If we renew and apply for a new ETA would there be a risk due to having two active ETAs in the system under different numbers?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Check the specifics of your wife's passport and travel dates in TIMATIC. That is what the UA check-in agent will see. I don't see any 180-day validity requirement, but you should check the specifics.

This is a binary issue. E.g., the passport is either valid for travel or not.

If this worries her, then go ahead and renew the passport. She will need a new ETA, but that is $20 or thereabouts.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:07 am

When I got my son's first passport, it took five days, with routine processing. The last time I renewed my passport by mail, it took thirteen weeks to process. Hence my hesitation. Also, if I renew now, I run the risk of the UA agents questioning the validity of the ETA.

I took a look at the ETA record. The latest date it says she can enter Australia matches the expiration date of her passport. So, she's good as far as the Aussies are concerned. It's just a question of how United will handle it.

If we renew and apply for a new ETA would there be a risk due to having two active ETAs in the system under different numbers?
according to Timatic, old visa on old passport is valid for entry into Australia. Having said that, not sure about two active ETA.

Originally Posted by Often1
OP - Check the specifics of your wife's passport and travel dates in TIMATIC. That is what the UA check-in agent will see. I don't see any 180-day validity requirement, but you should check the specifics.

This is a binary issue. E.g., the passport is either valid for travel or not.

If this worries her, then go ahead and renew the passport. She will need a new ETA, but that is $20 or thereabouts.
i don’t see the requirement for Australia either like say Singapore, which shows the 6 month validity requirement in Timatic.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
This is my understanding of the 6-month validity issue as well. Although your trip is not until March, which is still plenty of time away, I would not renew because of the ETA and also because you really don't need to.
Xyzzy and Twickenham like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

I would go ahead and renew now, but with the government shut down, I'm worried about potential delays processing the renewal. Any thoughts?

1) I have found United rarely checks passports for a domestic segment connecting to an international flight. They don't worry that you might strand yourself in LAX (in your case). So your only issue, if any, will be with Quantas.
2) As others note, Australia does not appear to require 6 months validity.
3) Your passport need not even be valid to return to the US. There is certainly no 6-month rule for US citizens returning to US on US passport. So there would be no reason for Quantas to deny you boarding on your return flight with a passport still valid for 5 months and 25 days.
Xyzzy and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:45 am
Original Poster

QF required me to provide all the passport info before they would issue the tickets. So, we should be good with them.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
you need a new passport, or if you want to risk it, I got away with it. Agent noticed the passport was going to expire 6 days before the 6 months I quickly said oh I have another passport let me go online and get a visa and I will check back in.
I just went to another agent who clearly didn't notice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.