United Y with 2 kids

Old Dec 21, 18, 4:22 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: DFW
Programs: American Airlines, Hilton, Hertz
Posts: 174
United Y with 2 kids

i haven't flown on united in a long time so i was hoping people could help me with some questions. i'm looking to fly on a UA 737 from DFW to SFO. It will be in Y.

- The website says wifi? is that free Wifi on the plane?
- Is there IFE with wifi (Free or paid?) i don't think it had seatback screens, but could my kids watch movies through Wifi? On american i need to have the app on any mobile phone or use my laptop wifi to get the free IFE.
- Food? Just wondering if they get the regular stuff (free cookies, drinks). is there a pay cart for food too?

Thanks
dc9703 is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 4:40 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 11,102
Originally Posted by dc9703 View Post
i haven't flown on united in a long time so i was hoping people could help me with some questions. i'm looking to fly on a UA 737 from DFW to SFO. It will be in Y.

- The website says wifi? is that free Wifi on the plane?
- Is there IFE with wifi (Free or paid?) i don't think it had seatback screens, but could my kids watch movies through Wifi? On american i need to have the app on any mobile phone or use my laptop wifi to get the free IFE.
- Food? Just wondering if they get the regular stuff (free cookies, drinks). is there a pay cart for food too?

Thanks
WiFi internet access, if available, is not free.
UA does have DirectTV (for a fee) on some 737s, and usually free (WiFi to your personal device) entertainment. Make sure you download the UA app before the flight. And bring earphones/buds.
Small packet of pretzels is free, plus non-alcoholic drinks. Beyond that, Buy-on-board food and alcoholic drinks. Be cheaper to pack something w/ two kids.
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 4:41 pm
  #3  
1P
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.8MM 1K , DL GM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, BW Plat, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
Posts: 3,206
Wifi will probably be available on the plane, but you'll have to pay and wifi performance will be substandard.
Probably no seatback screens. Even if you're on a 737-8 you probably won't have seatback screens. If equipment changes to an EMB175, you still won't have them.
Movies can be watched through paid wifi, but you'll need to have the United app installed either on your phone or your laptop. It would be courteous to all concerned to watch movies with headphones on. If, as your post implies, you will have more than one kid with you, only one kid at a time would then be able to watch.
You may get a free non-alcoholic beverage, possibly a snack mix. No cookies. No food cart. Probably just water, sodas and coffee. Eat and drink before you board.
1P is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 4:45 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 11,102
Originally Posted by 1P View Post
...Movies can be watched through paid wifi, but you'll need to have the United app installed either on your phone or your laptop...
Personal device WiFi entertainment is free. And there is a food cart on the 737. And the 175 would also have BoB items.
Often1 likes this.
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 5:04 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 3,474
Originally Posted by 1P View Post
Wifi will probably be available on the plane, but you'll have to pay and wifi performance will be substandard.
Probably no seatback screens. Even if you're on a 737-8 you probably won't have seatback screens. If equipment changes to an EMB175, you still won't have them.
Movies can be watched through paid wifi, but you'll need to have the United app installed either on your phone or your laptop. It would be courteous to all concerned to watch movies with headphones on. If, as your post implies, you will have more than one kid with you, only one kid at a time would then be able to watch.
You may get a free non-alcoholic beverage, possibly a snack mix. No cookies. No food cart. Probably just water, sodas and coffee. Eat and drink before you board.
So much misinformation. Obviously, if the parent has three iPads and/or phones, all of them would be able to watch movies (parent + 2 kids). Just need to download the App on all devices.

Food can be bought. Flights scheduled over 1.5 hours have a snack shop all day. Flights scheduled over 3 hours have Bistro on Board (with Breakfast items between 5:00 AM to 9:44 AM, and lunch & dinner items between 9:45 AM to 8:00 PM). To make sure to have all the choices available it's better to be sitting closer to the front. DFW to SFO should be in the range for the Bistro on Board.
StuckinITH is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 5:24 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,078
About 3 days before your flight, when they have assigned a specific plane to your flight, you can look at the capabilities on the website or on the app (it will say wifi, seatback entertainment, power plugs, etc.). There's always a chance of a last-minute swap but usually not.

As others have said, the on-your-own-device entertainment is free over the local wifi. Download the app before the flight. The local entertainment wifi is pretty reliable. Connecting to the internet costs money and is spotty.

Snack boxes and more for sale, plus the free pretzels or whatever.
threeoh is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 5:37 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South of London.
Programs: Delta SE, Marriott Silver, Omni Select Plat
Posts: 15,678
Fwiw, I would definitely eat before getting on board, you'll have more choice at the airport. It will also be tastier and possibly healthier.

I would also load any tablets with entertainment just in case you're unable to connect on board or it's entertainment you don't approve of. If you have netflix you should be able to download something on a temporary basis that will entertain no problem.
Phil Level likes this.
USA_flyer is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 6:03 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: DFW
Programs: American Airlines, Hilton, Hertz
Posts: 174
Thanks. Sounds a lot like aa. I just need to get my united mileage numbers in order.
dc9703 is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 8:52 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 11,102
Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
...DFW to SFO should be in the range for the Bistro on Board.
Youre probably right. IAH-LAS has hot items and DFW-SFO is a little farther.
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 9:51 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: MBS/FNT/LAN
Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Posts: 9,223
Does paid WiFi still restrict Netflix or other streaming sites?
jhayes_1780 is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 10:05 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 14,879
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post
Does paid WiFi still restrict Netflix or other streaming sites?
I think so, but even if it doesn't, trying to stream video on in-flight WiFi, in addition to being a violation of the terms of service, and rude to anyone else trying to use WiFi -- would also be an exercise in frustration. The throughput isn't nearly good enough (or consistent enough) to support streaming video.
jsloan is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 10:19 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: ORD/MDW
Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Posts: 19,124
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post
Does paid WiFi still restrict Netflix or other streaming sites?
I've never seen it robust enough for that. I can barely email doc attachments.
BearX220 is offline  
Old Dec 22, 18, 2:04 am
  #13  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 54,563
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post
Does paid WiFi still restrict Netflix or other streaming sites?
Much easier and more reliable to download the content on your device while on the ground.
Phil Level and Often1 like this.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Dec 22, 18, 7:23 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 12,184
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Much easier and more reliable to download the content on your device while on the ground.
agreed. Netflix only allows certain content to be downloaded, so YMMV. For us, we also have a couple of good reliables that we bought from iTunes (Frozen, CoCo, Moana, etc.) so our kids can be happy.

As as far as I am aware, UA doesn’t actually block content from Netflix (or anywhere), but streaming is definitely against the terms, and given it can sometimes take minutes for flight status to load on the app, doubt you’ll have any luck getting a show to stream
Phil Level and wrp96 like this.
emcampbe is offline  
Old Dec 22, 18, 9:47 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bellingham/Gainesville
Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Posts: 1,884
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post


agreed. Netflix only allows certain content to be downloaded, so YMMV. For us, we also have a couple of good reliables that we bought from iTunes (Frozen, CoCo, Moana, etc.) so our kids can be happy.

As as far as I am aware, UA doesn’t actually block content from Netflix (or anywhere), but streaming is definitely against the terms, and given it can sometimes take minutes for flight status to load on the app, doubt you’ll have any luck getting a show to stream
FWIW I download amazon content (owned, prime, etc) for viewing ahead of time. I believe many streaming services have provisions for this. I wouldn't rely on UA's wifi or even streaming as it's literally been 50/50 on it working for the flight's I've been on in the past year.
prestonh is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: