Wiki Posts
Search

UA Stinks!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:08 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by Kacee
I dunno. I fly UA TPAC between four and eight times a year. I haven't had one of these "terrible" UA crews in many years, though there are enough reports for me to accept there are a handful of them out there. Most of the time the service ranges from mediocre to pretty good. Sometimes it's exceptional. I've had two of those crews (exceptional) this year.

This year I've switched much of my TPAC flying to Asian carriers. I've had excellent service on BR, and also mediocre service. CI was mediocre. The service in KE F was not good at all. CX the crew was great, but the cabin was understaffed and meal service glacially slow. SQ was very good, but not perfect. I also have a bunch of intra-Asia segments on the Asian carriers. Overall, those service standards are definitely higher than UA domestic. But I had an awful crew on TG (HKG-BKK), balanced out by the best service I've ever experienced in SQ Suites (SIN-HKG).

The one categorical statement I can make is that the Asian carriers keep their lavs much cleaner
Having done DL, UA and AA TPAC as well as HU, BR, JAL, MU, CA, AA I'd add beyond lavatory, their FA are younger and more fit. God help the American carriers if during an emergency if you need the FA to do anything more than bark orders. On many fights they were incapable of even reaching let alone closing the overheads. FA there for my safety, what a joke. They are for the most part more hazard then help, watch them struggle with the serving carts. I once had a FA so old she couldn't even reach to the second seat in Business w/o spilling my drink on the poor guy in the aisle.

All in the name of protection of seniority and unions..... the American right
cruisr likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CarlL
I am really pleased that my post has been taken as an air pollution thread. Sort of like bringing up politics at the holiday table. However, the real underlying issue is with the service and hard product on this Polaris flight. it was some of the worst I have seen, overall.
<snip>
This thread probably would have been taken a lot more serious had you not complained about another pax 'pharting'.

That said, you bring up some real service issues that UA has consistently had problems with for years, and probably will for years to come. It's just life on the US3.

Out of curiosity, if I read one of your reply's correctly, you are/were an airline captain. Was it for a US or foreign carrier ?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Originally Posted by CarlL
My few recent flights have all been on non-US flag carriers, so maybe I have gotten spoiled, but there is really no reason why we shouldn't be able to compete.
I have no idea why US carriers can't compete, but I'll say that yes, you have gotten spoiled flying non-US flag carriers. Many of us have. If I'm booking a revenue (meaning paid with money) I will always go with the foreign carrier, and never a US big three.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Can you really get it your meal served on one tray at once? The several times I have asked for it turned out to be too much trouble for the FAs.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by TravelinWilly
I have no idea why US carriers can't compete, but I'll say that yes, you have gotten spoiled flying non-US flag carriers. Many of us have. If I'm booking a revenue (meaning paid with money) I will always go with the foreign carrier, and never a US big three.
I am not answering to get into an argument about unions and such, but my take would be that Asian carriers likely have less restrictions on hiring/firing employees. If their employees don't meet expectations (performance, appearance, etc.), they are easily let go and replaced with better performers. Also, in those countries a FA job may be seen as desirable. No offense to any FAs on here, but the image of it as a glamorous profession is long gone and it pays poorly starting out and every article nowadays is about some service drama at least here in the US.

And to talk about the OP, starting the whole thing about your fellow passenger just was too juicy to pass up for fellow FTers. All I can say, if you really are as "well traveled" as you say, have you really been ignorant or uneducated about the service on US carriers? It's not like 2018, service suddenly went down. Uneven service has been the norm for decades.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
And yet, I found United to be as good if not better than BA.
tuolumne likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Is this a serious thread? Pharting? Torn Pantyhose?

Seriously?
tuolumne likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Imstevek
Is this a serious thread? Pharting? Torn Pantyhose?

Seriously?
anything is possible. I flew with one who’s stringy greasy hair couldn’t have been washed for a week.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
I'm just shocked this thread didn't have any potty talk (literally, the lavs) up to this point!

I feel bad for that FA with the torn pantyhose, she must've had a worse flight earlier in her work day than the one the OP was on. I hope the FA attempted to brighten up the FA's day with a kind word or two.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by mellon
,oops I have let a few bad ones go, so sorry. I try to go for a walk in economy, and fart where a baby is seating
Also known as "cropdusting."
1015-1k likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:53 am

Hello all;

I teach in Japan, actually in a university that students attend with the desire to become flight attendants. It is very competitive to get into what is called "the airline program", which includes both aspiring ground staff and FAs. For the latter, only the tall girls with good English and elegant manners are selected. If they can get hired by JAL, they are in heaven. ANA is also good, after that...

They generally don't stay on the job too long either. Motherhood/marriage call them and they mostly retire by their mid 30s. I am sure other Asian airlines are the same, hence the lack of older and grumpier flight attendants on Asian carriers. My point is that it is seen as a prestige job that attracts top candidates and is highly competitive. Not sure if the same can be said of North American/European airlines.
restlessinRNO and Kacee like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinWilly
I have no idea why US carriers can't compete
The US carriers are practically printing money in profits - so, I'm not sure where the can't compete comment comes from.

I'd venture to say most carriers outside the US aren't exactly competing very well in terms of financial results.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:10 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by kumagoro
Hello all;

I teach in Japan, actually in a university that students attend with the desire to become flight attendants. It is very competitive to get into what is called "the airline program", which includes both aspiring ground staff and FAs. For the latter, only the tall girls with good English and elegant manners are selected. If they can get hired by JAL, they are in heaven. ANA is also good, after that...

They generally don't stay on the job too long either. Motherhood/marriage call them and they mostly retire by their mid 30s. I am sure other Asian airlines are the same, hence the lack of older and grumpier flight attendants on Asian carriers. My point is that it is seen as a prestige job that attracts top candidates and is highly competitive. Not sure if the same can be said of North American/European airlines.
I believe you’re exactly correct. It’s always been my experience, except for mainland Chinese airlines, that the Asian FA’s speak minimally 2 languages and often 3 or more. They are always polite and meticulously dressed, this is both cultural and because the Asian companies can legally impose strict standards on appearance. I can’t say for sure but I’ve been told older or less attractive FA’s get rotated into non-customer facing jobs, if they don’t leave their positions because of marriage or to raise their children.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:26 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
The US carriers are practically printing money in profits - so, I'm not sure where the can't compete comment comes from.

I'd venture to say most carriers outside the US aren't exactly competing very well in terms of financial results.
Airline business is global and brutally competitive, which is why virtually every US airline has been through numerous bankruptcies in their respective histories, so if United is enjoying a period of modest profitability it’s only because it had made many difficult decisions. The competition isn’t going away anytime soon so they have to stay ahead of the curve.

Money isn’t the issue. The issue of competitiveness isn’t the numbers of United employees or their equipment, it’s western culture, various workplace restrictions and training. All deeply and culturally rooted so unlikely to change. Fortunately, as fellow Americans we understand, adapt and tolerate. That doesn’t mean we don’t see the difference in product and experience when we fly the Asian competition.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Talking

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I just think, as long as I don't get hauled off, I'm good.
There's a company slogan! I can already see it painted on the side of their new 787's!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.