Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Arrogant and humiliating FA service in domestic First.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arrogant and humiliating FA service in domestic First.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Here in Hawaii, a younger person interacting with a older person they don't know might refer to them as "Auntie" or "Uncle". It's a way of building a bond socially.
RobotDoctor and lowmiles like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: AA, WN, NK
Why sell F seats if you can't provide F service? FA needs another job..

I don't care what you call me unless it's "ma'am", anything but ma'am. Ma'am means I did something wrong or something bad is about to happen.. No ma'am for me.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:50 pm

If Memory Serves Me Correctly

I believe this is what Polaris service looks like these days:

https://youtu.be/HojaP3TzBOU

It's been a while since I've flown UA in BF !

-James
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geckoflyer
Back OT...wasn’t there a time with the “star” prioritization on the manifest where paid F was treated the same as 1K? I could be imagining things, but unless/until UA goes to pre-ordering, I believe paid F should be treated with a similar priority to 1K.
Who, exactly, do you think is flying in the front of the plane?

This “paid first” nonsense needs to stop. If you ever find yourself typing it, stop yourself and ask “as opposed to what?”

Then go back and review the threads about 1K members who can’t get their instrument upgrades to clear — and instruments are a form of payment — and ask yourself again, “as opposed to what?”

On many UA flights, the entire front cabin is full of “paid first.” On many others, it’s “paid first” plus instrument upgrades — still paid, in my book.

In order to get to flights where it would be meaningful to distinguish a GS/1K/“paid first” tier vs. everyone else, you’d have to find the flights where Platinums clear CPUs regularly. They happen, but they’re certainly not particularly common.

The simple fact of the matter is that first class is no longer particularly expensive, which means “paid first” is not particularly exclusive.

PS: Many GS and 1K members earn their status by.. wait for it... paying for first class.
Xyzzy, narvik, chavala and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
This “paid first” nonsense needs to stop. If you ever find yourself typing it, stop yourself and ask “as opposed to what?”

As opposed to a Gold member travelling on a k fare who got CPU'd on the EWR -> SJU and BQN -> EWR segments

Originally Posted by jsloan
Then go back and review the threads about 1K members who can’t get their instrument upgrades to clear — and instruments are a form of payment — and ask yourself again, “as opposed to what?”

On many UA flights, the entire front cabin is full of “paid first.” On many others, it’s “paid first” plus instrument upgrades — still paid, in my book.

In order to get to flights where it would be meaningful to distinguish a GS/1K/“paid first” tier vs. everyone else, you’d have to find the flights where Platinums clear CPUs regularly. They happen, but they’re certainly not particularly common.

The simple fact of the matter is that first class is no longer particularly expensive, which means “paid first” is not particularly exclusive.

PS: Many GS and 1K members earn their status by.. wait for it... paying for first class.
In all seriousness, I completely agree with you here. I was flying on a W fare from SIN to SFO on UA 2 weeks ago. I had a GPU sponsored by a GS member who spends tons of money on UA J as part of her job. I thought I was a shoe-in given the relatively wide open cabin. Was #1 at beginning of OLCI, dropped down to #8 about T-12 and ended up being around 14 on the list. Flight went out full in Polaris Y and J. Long story short this was an elite-heavy flight: when a pre-board line forms for GS members you know your chances are 0. In any event, no one cleared the UG list.

Sure, if you are going to very esoteric routes then yes it's possible to be up front for little. But UA is no fool, the number of routes that have that property are falling and in the few cases where these routes exist, UA will likely do RM and down gauge accordingly.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
We're talking about Texas. That explains quite a lot. If you would like a respectful dialog with this send me a PM. This is getting to be a little off topic (barely on topic).
New England and Texas have now been passive-aggressively been put down in near-successive posts. I think this thread has gotten its point across.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Imstevek
New England and Texas have now been passive-aggressively been put down in near-successive posts. I think this thread has gotten its point across.
I disagree. There are still people defending the use of outdated or inappropriate forms of address to strangers in a business situation because, after all, they aren't offended, so why should anyone else?

I've flown UA for 19 years, and have always been treated respectfully by onboard staff. Even in those rare occasions where someone is having a bad day, no one has ever referred to me as anything other than "sir" or "mr.halls120." Which is the way I would address a customer if I were in their shoes.
chavala and MarkyMarc like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:20 pm

i don't know why I encountered horribly human beings on only US based airlines other than any business setting.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:29 pm

1) These horrible human beings are attracted to be CA in US.
2)The airline companies in US hire horrible human beings.
3)They become horrible human beings by working for airlines.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[left]
Originally Posted by j2simpso

As opposed to a Gold member travelling on a k fare who got CPU'd on the EWR -> SJU and BQN -> EWR segments
Sure, if you are going to very esoteric routes then yes it's possible to be up front for little. But UA is no fool, the number of routes that have that property are falling and in the few cases where these routes exist, UA will likely do RM and down gauge accordingly.

Precisely. The “paid first” comments always seem to assume that paid first is the exception and Gold CPUs are the rule. That is definitely not my experience.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by halls120
I disagree. There are still people defending the use of outdated or inappropriate forms of address to strangers in a business situation because, after all, they aren't offended, so why should anyone else?

I've flown UA for 19 years, and have always been treated respectfully by onboard staff. Even in those rare occasions where someone is having a bad day, no one has ever referred to me as anything other than "sir" or "mr.halls120." Which is the way I would address a customer if I were in their shoes.
and if you think a thread on FT will alter, much less change those perceptions, you haven’t been paying attention.

Happy New year, Sir!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle

I didn't really put down either place, certainly made no reference to New England. I know a lot of people in Texas and met many more and I have never heard of any Texan woman who is offended by the term "Darlin". My comment was made to the person who said every woman he knows is offended which is pretty much opposite of my many years of interaction. As a matter of fact, I was married to a Texan woman for 18 years and met a lot of her family and friends. Again, nobody was offended by terms of endearment.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

and if you think a thread on FT will alter, much less change those perceptions, you haven’t been paying attention.

Happy New year, Sir!
If we go by that we may as well shut down most of the FT threads.
Discussion is the only way things will change. Maybe, just maybe, somebody reading this thread will think twice before they call a complete stranger Darlin Baby Sweetheart Honey. Or at least notice the pained expression on that persons face when they do.

Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:04 am

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I'm not sure what you expect a UA flight attendant to do about that.

You claim to have spent $25,000 on tickets on UA this year, so this seems like a single bad experience - or have you subjected yourself needlessly to multiple bad experiences and still won't switch away from UA? Do you expect UA to give everyone in your family 1K status because you spend $25K in total? A lot of 1Ks and GSs fly with their families and attain 1K or GS status based on their own spend. GS ad 1Ks get prioritized meal choice whether or not they are on a paid First or get upgraded - this issue has been discussed a nauseum - it's just the way UA has decided to reward it's most valuable individual customers. They fly much more often than you, so UA has decided to treat them a little better. UA flight attendants are put in a tough position since UA only caters (usually) the exact number of meals as there are F seats - they probably run into passenger disappointment regularly. I would certainly recommend choosing seats as far forward in the cabin as you can since that usually results in a better chance of meal choice. Sitting in the back rows diminishes chances usually.
I thought they alternate meal selections front row to back and back row to front, with exception of GS.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by chavala

If we go by that we may as well shut down most of the FT threads.
Discussion is the only way things will change. Maybe, just maybe, somebody reading this thread will think twice before they call a complete stranger Darlin Baby Sweetheart Honey. Or at least notice the pained expression on that persons face when they do.

I had an American Eagle journey BOS-LGA-DTW, with the same FA on different aircraft. Upon deplaning at DTW I didn't get a 'Bye', nor the SNL 'Buh Bye'. I got 'Keep flyin', hon,' from an FA a few years younger than me - but not much. I thought it was very casual but wasn't bothered by it. I'm not some 95 year-old Austrian princess with my head stuck in another time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.