Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Arrogant and humiliating FA service in domestic First.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arrogant and humiliating FA service in domestic First.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by tonytifao
Agree, not humiliating, but I did write it on the letter to give a bit more emphasis so they can better train their employees.
From my reading on this forum, the shared opinion for a most effective letter to United is to be concise and factual. Adding emotional commentary or overly dramatic words seems to have a negative effect on the messages' impact.
roberto99, jsloan, Miggles and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Eww, that 'sass' is for the stoop, not for the job.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonytifao
In my line of work we meet regularly to address customer complaints, that's why I brought up AA and the ability to choose the meal. I would image airlines would do the same to see where they can improve.
I doubt that your front-line customer staff would appreciate being told "this isn't how it's done at XYZ competitor." That's a more appropriate conversation to have with management or sales staff -- i.e., someone who's in a position to provide a substantive resolution. The FAs don't write policy.
roberto99 and Miggles like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
From my reading on this forum, the shared opinion for a most effective letter to United is to be concise and factual. Adding emotional commentary or overly dramatic words seems to have a negative effect on the messages' impact.
This is good advice for life at large, not just applicable to United.
jsloan, Miggles, narvik and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Sorry to hear about the bad customer service treatment that OP experienced. Airlines should treat all customers the same regardless of status or forms of paying for premium class cabins.

Am I the only one impressed by OP’s 15 years of GK and EP status at AA while only in his 30s or did I mis-read post #1 and #9?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by Sulley
She sounds sassy. I like her.
I think she wanted to play.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
But the consensus is that there will be no impact. Period. You may get some points or a voucher, but that's it. It won't get passed to anybody in management with decision-making ability.

The issue nowadays with complaints or concerns is that the right people don't hear it. The whole key in today's world is being able to speak to someone who matters.
Now, if you happen to be neighbors with Oscar, and mentioned it in passing, I'm sure you would have a different response. Even if you happened to be wordy and emotional in your complaint, and not concise.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Silver, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
I'm perfectly happy to be equally rude to an FA or gate agent that's out of line. I get that they may be over worked, have issues outside of work, etc but honestly none of that is my problem.

I buy a ticket and expect a certain level of service and as long as that expectation is reasonable there's no reason why I should have to deal with an a$%hole FA or agent.

I would write in to United and let them know of your experience. Mention names, flights, etc if you have the info.

I'm loyal to UA and have been GS for a while but trust me status doesn't matter when it comes to bad behavior by some of their staff.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
This was not good customer services but, geez, was it really "humiliating"??? That seems to indicate a bit of over-sensitivity to the OP that makes me question the facts as related. Reading the thread heading, I was expecting way worse . . .LOL

Last edited by 94010flyer; Dec 20, 2018 at 1:57 pm
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Sorry to hear about the bad customer service treatment that OP experienced. Airlines should treat all customers the same regardless of status or forms of paying for premium class cabins.

Am I the only one impressed by OP’s 15 years of GK and EP status at AA while only in his 30s or did I mis-read post #1 and #9?
I actually started very early... when I was 17, I'm now 38. I started with UA Gold, then 1 year UA 1k then switched to AA when I moved to Florida and was combination of CK and EP for 15 years. Last year I had my first private jet experience and I'm hoping to do it at least once a year. I flew on a brand new Phenom 300 from FL to CO. I might be flying on Sunday from ASE to APF on a very nice Legacy 500. Here is a pic at EGE https://www.instagram.com/schaffertfamily/

Originally Posted by s0ssos
But the consensus is that there will be no impact. Period. You may get some points or a voucher, but that's it. It won't get passed to anybody in management with decision-making ability.

The issue nowadays with complaints or concerns is that the right people don't hear it. The whole key in today's world is being able to speak to someone who matters.
Now, if you happen to be neighbors with Oscar, and mentioned it in passing, I'm sure you would have a different response. Even if you happened to be wordy and emotional in your complaint, and not concise.
I wouldn't mind a voucher or miles.

Originally Posted by 94010flyer
This was not good customer services but, geez, was it really "humiliating"??? That seems to indicate a bit of over-sensitivity to the OP that makes me question the facts as related. Reading the thread heading, I was expecting way worse . . .LOL
The title was changed by a moderator.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by prestonh
I was carrying my laptop bag behind me on my back per normal and she insisted I was going to 'hit' someone with it. I've never done that before, attested to that. She loudly insisted I carry it by hand in front of the whole plane so I wasn't rude to the other pax.
I'm sure it wasn't you, but I've been hit by these while seated.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

I already sent. As I indicated, I sent from a mobile device. They will get the point.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I've flown first class often enough, and I've always been treated very well, despite low or no status. I've never noticed that they treat me any worse because I upgraded or used miles for my ticket. In my opinion, a first-class passenger should be treated like a first-class passenger, period.

If you're in a service-related business, and you don't like your employer, don't take it out on the customers. If you don't like your employer, find another one!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
There is no excuse for the FA's behavior or language - it was unprofessional, and yes, condescending and hostile and that FA needs to be pulled from the line and given a review with additional training. Additionally, the OP should have been given anything from the back without the attitude.

However, the OP should understand that 1K and GS passengers will (should) always get priority for meal selection and yes, that means passengers with lower or no status, or no membership, even if they paid for their F seat will often get the leftovers which can be less than desirable. I just flew AA yesterday and was able to pre-order my meal in F, and UA should be offering the same for any passenger confirmed upfront until 24h before departure - it's not asking for much to implement this. I did so with full knowledge that as a non-AA member on paid F, I might not have my meal choice if EXP and CK customers are taken care of first, and that is something I have no right to complain about.

You should have been addressed and communicated with respectfully, and as "sir" or "Mr. Tonytifao" and not by any other name or phrase - and for this reason, the FA needs to be pulled and retrained.
tonytifao, wrp96 and BBSHOPSINGER like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bocastephen
There is no excuse for the FA's behavior or language - it was unprofessional, and yes, condescending and hostile and that FA needs to be pulled from the line and given a review with additional training. Additionally, the OP should have been given anything from the back without the attitude.

However, the OP should understand that 1K and GS passengers will (should) always get priority for meal selection and yes, that means passengers with lower or no status, or no membership, even if they paid for their F seat will often get the leftovers which can be less than desirable. I just flew AA yesterday and was able to pre-order my meal in F, and UA should be offering the same for any passenger confirmed upfront until 24h before departure - it's not asking for much to implement this. I did so with full knowledge that as a non-AA member on paid F, I might not have my meal choice if EXP and CK customers are taken care of first, and that is something I have no right to complain about.

You should have been addressed and communicated with respectfully, and as "sir" or "Mr. Tonytifao" and not by any other name or phrase - and for this reason, the FA needs to be pulled and retrained.
(bolding mine) - Somehow I first read this as "pulled and restrained". Maybe that's needed as well.
wrp96 and twomonger like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.