Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Arrogant and humiliating FA service in domestic First.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arrogant and humiliating FA service in domestic First.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Kacee
As a multi-year 1K I can assure you that is not the case.

Expressing resentment towards UA elites will not endear you with much of the crowd around here
I hate the term elites
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I apologize for the poor service you received.

I think the F/A was trying to be funny. She obviously failed. Some people can pull it off, many others can not.
Exactly. I had an FA on UAX a few months ago who was absolutely fantastic. She had a little bit of playful attitude; she was originally from the Bronx. Lots of fun to fly with and after bantering back and forth, I learned that she’s also a commercial rated pilot. Her and her husband run a small charter business out of Florida. She was working as a UAX FA to pay the bills until their business picked up. Showed me photos of their plane and their business. Most fun FA I’ve flown with all year.

Really wonderful person, super sweet and very hard worker. But if I judged her because she called me Papi, I’d have thought the total opposite.

I can see how a little of that Bronx attitude could turn someone off if they don’t understand it. Papi especially can be used as a term of endearment. But it wasn’t mean or bad at all - just playful. Attitudes are a two way street ......
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
I can see how a little of that Bronx attitude could turn someone off if they don’t understand it. Papi especially can be used as a term of endearment. But it wasn’t mean or bad at all - just playful. Attitudes are a two way street ......
It can be, in the appropriate cultural setting. it can also be an age-related microagression especially if it is categoized by the recipient as being a replacement for “Old man,” “gramps,” “geezer,” and “old bag," which are terms in our daily vernacular that degrade older adults.

Latinos LOVE calling people "Papi" and "Mami" as a term of endearment. It could be a relative, significant other, or friend. Mami and Papi means in English, mom and dad. However, we do NOT say it in that context. When we call someone "Papi" or "Mami" who isn't our parents, it is a substitute for "sweetie" or "babe". We may say "Mamita" or "Papito" as well. It sounds sexier than the usual hun, love, or babycakes. Rest assure these words will make your partner melt and others feel special when you refer to them as such. Gosh,
https://tlloh.com/things-latinos-lov...-papi-and-mami

Question - do really think that if started referring to female FAs as "honey," "babe" or "sugar," I wouldn't be criticzed? Sorry, but I don't regard a total stranger refering to me as her "sweetie" as appropriate in the workplace. YMMV, of course.
Plane-is-home and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by halls120; Dec 21, 2018 at 4:20 am
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by ORD4R
I have to disagree with that statement, I might agree on every US carrier, but in my fairly extensive travels on SQ and ANA, I have never encountered a rude FA, certainly some that weren't the best at their job but none that are down right rude to a first class passenger.
We are referring to the Americas FA, big Papa! The Europeans (to some extent) and the certainly the Asian carriers would not even fathom treating their Y kettles this way let alone their J and loyalist. I was recently on an SQ flight with a PPS pax sitting in Y, they greeted him by name when he was gettinggseateds brought him a PDB, even put away bags for him rightrbeforebdeparture. You could clearly see that they got him and everything felt intuitive. Huge difference than how UA treats their GS in similar situation big boy!

Safe Travels,

James
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by tonytifao
I have a different point of view now that I travel less in regards to how they treat different tiers. I'm just as loyal as a 1k member, even though I travel less. They seem to treat 1k and GS like they are god or something. All but a few legs that weren't available, I gave UA premium class. Not only that, I have spent over $25k in trips this year with them if we combine my total spending as a family (wife and 2 kids). This is another place where airlines fail to track, family spending.
This is very true. How many GS or 1K's we have on a flight, determines how smoothly I land the airplane.
wrp96 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ORD4R
I have to disagree with that statement, I might agree on every US carrier, but in my fairly extensive travels on SQ and ANA, I have never encountered a rude FA, certainly some that weren't the best at their job but none that are down right rude to a first class passenger.
SQ has at least one - to me

Maybe not rude, but definitely one I wouldn't mind not having again. I boarded plane and had barely made it, just came form work. I really didn't look like someone who should be on the plane, much less business class. I turned to head forward and she grabbed my boarding pass and about 4 rows into economy she looked and saw I was in business and then had to turn around and show me my seat.

I had spare clothes and planned to shower in HKG as i had been working all night and as I said i barely made the plane - I wasn't filthy dirty, but I did have work boots, jeans and a T-shirt on and probably smelled like oil. At the end of the day we have to fly and get from A to B just like the guys in suits. I would love to get on the plane in a suit and tie, but it just isn't always feasible.

Maybe not rude, but condescending for sure.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
AA once didn’t have the meals we had ordered online before the flight
HA has charged us for Y snack box when my child didn’t want the F meal

I don’t fly much but every F will occasionally have minor flaws. Rude FAs are always inexcusable. I hope that UA responds to OP’s letter, even if it’s just 500 miles.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:13 am
RNE

Originally Posted by tonytifao
"Papa, you don't have status. Status is 1k or GS". Really?
Yeah, really.

RNE, saying the truth hurts.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by RNE
Yeah, really.

RNE, saying the truth hurts.
Made me think of Geirge Orwell...some elite statuses are more equal than others...
RNE likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:43 am
Suspended

Why is it that referring to someone as 'Papa' is not acceptable but referring to 'me and my wife' repeatedly is? I was taught that when speaking of yourself and someone else, you always put the other person first out of respect. So it is, 'my wife and I'.

When someone puts 'me' first, anything that follows after that doesn't make much difference to my opinion. Here is my hypothetical response by the FA.

'This fat slob came down the aisle ahead of his wife; shoved his bag into the overhead and then sat down with his nose in his smartphone checking his Facebook page while his diminutive wife struggled to get her bag into the overhead. I decided then and there, what treatment he would receive from me.'

Complaint posts always provide only one side of a story and funnily enough, they always indicate it was the other side that was at fault. I've yet to see a post where someone writes, 'I acted like a jerk and the FA acted accordingly.'

I am not saying that is in fact what happened with the OP, his story may be 100% factual. But the fact is that I don't know if that is the case or not.
chacoun likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 22, 2018 at 11:48 am Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Why is it that referring to someone as 'Papa' is not acceptable but referring to 'me and my wife' repeatedly is? I was taught that when speaking of yourself and someone else, you always put the other person first out of respect. So it is, 'my wife and I'.
The Merriam-Webster Learner's Dictionary offers the same advice: third-person, then second-person, finally first-person pronouns for general usage; mixing up the order is not necessarily rude, but can serve to emphasize the role of the speaker in the action, or as a cue that the speaker is talking informally or is less-educated,'

And 'I' is a subject, "me" is an object....so as you said, it should be "my wife and I," but never "me.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Remember: "She hates the airline, she hates her job, and she hates you." She just wasn't very good at hiding it...
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis

When someone puts 'me' first, anything that follows after that doesn't make much difference to my opinion. Here is my hypothetical response by the FA.

'This fat slob came down the aisle ahead of his wife; shoved his bag into the overhead and then sat down with his nose in his smartphone checking his Facebook page while his diminutive wife struggled to get her bag into the overhead. I decided then and there, what treatment he would receive from me.'

Complaint posts always provide only one side of a story and funnily enough, they always indicate it was the other side that was at fault. I've yet to see a post where someone writes, 'I acted like a jerk and the FA acted accordingly.'

I am not saying that is in fact what happened with the OP, his story may be 100% factual. But the fact is that I don't know if that is the case or not.
Obviously UA needs to call the grammar police and drag the OP off the plane for such an offense
chavala likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 22, 2018 at 11:49 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by prestonh
Obviously UA needs to call the grammar police and drag the OP off the plane for such an offense
Sadly, that benefit is only available to travellers in the De Nada class of service.

-James
bman1002 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:03 am
Original Poster

So here is my summary:
1) So the mama papa thing... Just a little weird, but doesn't bother me.
2) When I asked for more croissant. I don't mind that they ran out, but a response such as: "Sorry sir, we ran out" or "Sorry sir, we ran out. Could I try to get something for you in the back? Maybe a cheese box?" instead of the "this is not a buffet" crap comment. Or even the stupid comment, followed by ... "can I see if I have something else???"
3) Don't come bother me with comments to make her feel good, like: "I did you a favor to get you sandwich from the back"
4) Don't devalue my status or my business because I don't fly as much. I still give you some good amount of money. Not only me, but my family of 4!
on-a-stick and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.