Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Arrogant and humiliating FA service in domestic First.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arrogant and humiliating FA service in domestic First.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.6 MM
I have noticed the same thing on United. I was on a paid ticket and I watched them clear over half of the cabin at the gate. Unfortunately, as someone with no United status, I received last choice of meal. I also found the same attitude - you don't have status - oh well. Rather than complain, I just shifted all of my non-AA flying to Delta.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by seanp7
Training Refresher communication: Team, please don't refer to customers as "Papa". Or Big Mama will come after you...
A United FA once called me "Boy". Not good for someone who is middle-aged and of indistinct ethnicity.

Originally Posted by 94010flyer
This was not good customer services but, geez, was it really "humiliating"??? That seems to indicate a bit of over-sensitivity to the OP that makes me question the facts as related. Reading the thread heading, I was expecting way worse . . .LOL

Being called "Papa" for no apparent reason could certainly be considered humiliating.
seanp7 and twomonger like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:15 pm

Gotta disagree with her. Anyone who is Gold is elite in my book: spending $1000 on UA k fares to grab the 50,000 PQM to hit Gold is quite the achievement.

In all seriousness, that's pretty bad service and in my limited amount of travelling I haven't seen anything like that. Do you know if this was mainline or regional? My understanding of UA is mainline service is better than UX!

-James
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Gotta disagree with her. Anyone who is Gold is elite in my book: spending $1000 on UA k fares to grab the 50,000 PQM to hit Gold is quite the achievement.

In all seriousness, that's pretty bad service and in my limited amount of travelling I haven't seen anything like that. Do you know if this was mainline or regional? My understanding of UA is mainline service is better than UX!

-James
That's not been my experience. UX flight attendants seem to have a lot more energy and interest in their jobs than some of their mainline counterparts,
porciuscato and rustykettel like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by amtrakusa
what do you expect? when the junior sCO FA were holding international lines, i'm pretty sure a bunch of sUA FAs were complaining about it somewhere else. When the lines are combined, someone is going to work international, and someone is going to work domestic? you can provide a better solution?

why don't UA FAs compare themselves to DL level of service? if they get paid the same as DL FAs, have the same staffing level as DL, and they even get to travel to fancier places than DL FAs, why can't they provide DL level of service? it is all a bunch of ........!
I’ve had terrible service on DL and AA on some flights over the past couple years. The grass is not greener.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I apologize for the poor service you received.

I think the F/A was trying to be funny. She obviously failed. Some people can pull it off, many others can not.
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by porciuscato
Being called "Papa" for no apparent reason could certainly be considered humiliating.
Really? (Don’t tell the pope.)

What are gritz? Sounds like a mixture of grits and glitter.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: Unloyal, disloyal
Originally Posted by Sulley
She sounds sassy. I like her.
No, she sounds like a total ..... with crap banter.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
Not every carrier - maybe every US carrier

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Rude FA's are out there on EVERY carrier - like water off a duck
I have to disagree with that statement, I might agree on every US carrier, but in my fairly extensive travels on SQ and ANA, I have never encountered a rude FA, certainly some that weren't the best at their job but none that are down right rude to a first class passenger.

In 40 years of air travel, I have had a handful of times when a FA addressed me in some manner, I thought was inappropriate and unacceptable, I have been called, "dude" and "big boy". On those occasions I have politely suggested to the FA, that I didn't find that to be an acceptable way to address me and they did apologize and stopped addressing me in that manner, although in at least one case, the FA was clearly insincere and I could hear her complaining about me to the other FA.

I think it is important to make it clear to someone when they are offending you, as they may be just be unaware of the image they are projecting or they may be a jerk but either way communicating your dissatisfaction with their action is the right thing to do in my opinion, despite the fact that it may make things a little uncomfortable.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:42 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I normally fly AA. I get emails on occasion from AA to answer a "survey" after I've completed a flt. Flying in BC from JFK to LHR a recent survey asked: "were you addressed by your name?"--I don't think "PAPA" would count.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by danosu77
I have noticed the same thing on United. I was on a paid ticket and I watched them clear over half of the cabin at the gate. Unfortunately, as someone with no United status, I received last choice of meal. I also found the same attitude - you don't have status - oh well. Rather than complain, I just shifted all of my non-AA flying to Delta.

Last year I was on Delta first class JFK to SEA— but not Delta One, bought 2 days before departure and had no status on Delta. Did not get a meal choice and what was left was something I do not eat. I know one person that was status upgrade that was for meal choice before me as I stood next to the person in security line and heard the complaints of not yet clearing the upgrade list. I declined the meal and asked for a snack box from Economy and was told by the head flight attendant that I would have to pay for it.

I wish there was advance meal selection on all first class flights.

No excuse for what the OP went through but it is not just UA, although I was not addressed in such an unprofessional manner.

Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:30 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
I fly vegas about once a month. Never had issues inbound like OP had. But more then once on early morning outbound flights, FA's preformed less then optimal. You can tell when they had short nights.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sulley
She sounds sassy. I like her.
She sounds like an arrogant, unprofessional condescending B word. YMMV, of course.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Sounds like the FA was just trying to joke around. I don’t see the problem with some levity.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Sounds like the FA was just trying to joke around. I don’t see the problem with some levity.
Levity is fine if all participants "get" the joke. That clearly wasn't the case in this instance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.