Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
Tips are not expected in Polaris lounges, but employees are allowed to accept them.

Originally Posted by legalalien
Polaris employees are explicitly recruited to "non-tipping" positions
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
they were told not to expect any tips but be appreciative of what they do get and quickly pocket them; they don't want loose bills or a tip jar in sight to give the idea that tipping is expected.
Print Wikipost

Tipping in Polaris lounge

Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Considering minimum wage in SF is $15/hr
I think minimum wage at SFO is $13.50 though.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
This whole conversation is ridiculous. What restaurant or bar would you go to and not tip? I hope none.
Pouring a soda at the club is less work than taking and filling an order at McDonalds, but nobody tips there.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Visconti
This thread is pretty comical. It appears pretty divided, one side or the other with very little in between. I'm assuming that most in favor of tipping are American, while those who oppose are non-Americans or Millenials?
Am Canadian, but close enough, and have lived in the US for a long time. I suppose I count as a millenial. I think this thread is insane. I think the concept of tipping in a premium lounge environment is stupid. The whole point of being in a premium/all included service is to avoid BS like this. I think the whole over the top Americanized reality of tipping is stupid (I mean in what other normal day to day customer/worker situation do you pay somebody a discretionary amount after the service is performed), but that's a topic for another thread.

Ugh. Makes me like the old NW lounges at MSP and DTW where the bar is self serve. If you feel obligated to leave a tip, just shift a couple $1 bills from your wallet to another pocket.
rankourabu, Xyzzy, chavala and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Am Canadian, but close enough, and have lived in the US for a long time. I suppose I count as a millenial. I think this thread is insane. I think the concept of tipping in a premium lounge environment is stupid. The whole point of being in a premium/all included service is to avoid BS like this. I think the whole over the top Americanized reality of tipping is stupid (I mean in what other normal day to day customer/worker situation do you pay somebody a discretionary amount after the service is performed), but that's a topic for another thread.

Ugh. Makes me like the old NW lounges at MSP and DTW where the bar is self serve. If you feel obligated to leave a tip, just shift a couple $1 bills from your wallet to another pocket.
I don't necessarily disagree with this concept. When membership fees are collected, everyone should be treated the same and adhere to a set of "house" rules, which UA can set at their discretion.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Interesting, at least to me, that some folks would think a decent wage in the Bay Area would be $32K per year - or think because it is advertised as non-tipped, then it must be paid well.

Considering minimum wage in SF is $15/hr - I'll step up the tipping for good service.
So we should tip in SFO because of the high cost of real estate?
Does that mean I don’t have to tip in IAH?
And EWR... I guess I should ask the waiter if he lives in Jersey or Manhattan before deciding how much to leave him.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by Visconti
This thread is pretty comical. It appears pretty divided, one side or the other with very little in between. I'm assuming that most in favor of tipping are American, while those who oppose are non-Americans or Millenials?
just had a Canadian millennial back you up
FLYMSY, Silver Fox and Visconti like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by SJWarrior

just had a Canadian millennial back you up
LOL...well, probably shouldn't admit this, when I say Americans, I've always included Canadians. I'm trying to be more inclusive as I age.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Interesting, at least to me, that some folks would think a decent wage in the Bay Area would be $32K per year - or think because it is advertised as non-tipped, then it must be paid well.

Considering minimum wage in SF is $15/hr - I'll step up the tipping for good service.
Should I do economic research on the area the Polaris lounge is in and ask the server's wage and socioeconomic status so I can determine whether or not to tip? I think not. As someone said above, it's a PREMIUM LUNGE. Even United doesn't think employees should have their hands out seeking tips. <sigh>
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:40 pm

As another Canadian, if that is at all relevant, my practice is different. I tip if I feel it is deserved, no matter where I am. I always travel with at least 100 $1 USD bills, and dole them out accordingly, where warranted. Recently, in the EWR Polaris lounge, I lunched at its restaurant. My server was deferential and successfully accommodated my tight schedule, going so far as to proactively bring me items she felt would enhance my main selection. I felt my $10 tip was warranted, given the level of service and attention I received. Before leaving, I was approached by the lounge manager who ascertained my satisfaction with the Polaris experience. Of course, my opinion was greatly influenced by the service I had received, but I also critiqued areas I felt required some attention. Long story short: tipping is discretionary and not required. If you feel you've received service above the norm, and can afford it, tip accordingly. If you feel otherwise, don't tip. Guilt is not a trip you need take.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:34 am

@flyme2 makes some excellent points. I'd imagine, even those working in the Polaris lounge can use some extra cash once in a while. Also agree tip jars have no place in a lounge environment; passive aggressive behavior geared towards procuring one, which, in my view, shouldn't even be dignified with a reply, let alone any kind of reward.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
After keeping tabs on this thread's varied responses, it has changed this guy's view of tipping in both UC and PL ^

While I will Always tip in a restaurant or bar for great service, I now get that there are many lounge factors that dictate how we really should NOT. But, nobody's gonna stop you from doing it (or not) -- and again, it's *Your* right to decide!

Jay
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
I got the same speech from the waiter in EWR PL - I was surprised that they asked for a tip...but I guess this is routine now
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Jm0115
I got the same speech from the waiter in EWR PL - I was surprised that they asked for a tip...but I guess this is routine now
Not sure exactly what he said, but if implied I need to tip him, he would be reported.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:09 am

I never have tipped at EWR Polaris lounge bar or restaurant but after reading this thread and seeing that some waiters may be expecting a tip, I will probably tip on my next visit. I actually fee a bit bad about it now because on my last visit, my waitress recognized me from having served me several months ago. We talked a bit but didn’t tip because I assumed it wasn’t necessary.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Meola10
I never have tipped at EWR Polaris lounge bar or restaurant but after reading this thread and seeing that some waiters may be expecting a tip, I will probably tip on my next visit. I actually fee a bit bad about it now because on my last visit, my waitress recognized me from having served me several months ago. We talked a bit but didn’t tip because I assumed it wasn’t necessary.
For crying out loud -- it's NOT necessary!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.