Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
Tips are not expected in Polaris lounges, but employees are allowed to accept them.

Originally Posted by legalalien
Polaris employees are explicitly recruited to "non-tipping" positions
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
they were told not to expect any tips but be appreciative of what they do get and quickly pocket them; they don't want loose bills or a tip jar in sight to give the idea that tipping is expected.
Print Wikipost

Tipping in Polaris lounge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
I tip on all lounges. The Polaris is no exception. Even when I just want a Coke. Plus how much more can they really be getting paid to counter the lack of tips? Really you’re flying a 5, 8 or 10 thousand dollar fare. Put a crowbar a Your wallet Scrooge

happy holidays
Mollyann500 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by SJWarrior
Even when I just want a Coke.
Do you go to the bartender for a glass of soft drink? How about a bottle of water?

Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Do you go to the bartender for a glass of soft drink? How about a bottle of water?

Merry Christmas!
Don't laugh, there are some UCs where there isn't a dispenser and you literally need to go to the bar to get your fizzy drink. In addition, UA for some reason thinks that the Red Bull needs to be placed on the upper shelf.

-James
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:04 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
At the very least, I always tip a few bucks when I ask for cocktails. They usually require a bunch of work, and they're tasty, so why not?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Scifience
I don't carry cash in the US, so I don't tip on anything free / without a tip line on a credit card slip. For paid drinks, I'll throw a dollar on the CC slip.
There is an ATM located right across from the EWR Polaris club entrance.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Don't laugh, there are some UCs where there isn't a dispenser and you literally need to go to the bar to get your fizzy drink. In addition, UA for some reason thinks that the Red Bull needs to be placed on the upper shelf.

-James
All the Polaris Lounges I have been in have bottles and cans in the self-serve fridges.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
All the Polaris Lounges I have been in have bottles and cans in the self-serve fridges.
Which invites people to take products out of the lounge for later. UA may not care if you do this but I think it is highly inappropriate
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by StuckinITH

Before I leave for a trip, my wife makes sure that I have a lot of small $ bills in my wallet.
Asiana used to give you a tip booklet that included 10 brand new $1- bills for flights from Korea to the US in F. It's a pretty cool little booklet-I still have a couple somewhere.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 25, 2018 at 2:36 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Meola10
Which invites people to take products out of the lounge for later. UA may not care if you do this but I think it is highly inappropriate
i agree.

EXCEPT, perhaps, if sprite zero is the non-caffeinated fizzy drink you prefer and they stock it in those lounge refrigerators, while refusing to serve it inside their shiny metal tubes. and if you generally require more than one bottle of water on a 16 hour flight, you might want to snag a few of those mini-bottles of water.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Meola10

I think there's a fine line between taking something out of the lounge for consumption on the flight/during boarding versus loading a suitcase full of trinkets to share with your friends and family later. There are certain flights I can think of both DOM and INTL where I think, gee I should probably grab this or that out of the UC cause they aren't likely to serve it on the flight or the quality will be poor (i.e. steaks on UA flights).

-James
janehoya likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
I think there's a fine line between taking something out of the lounge for consumption on the flight/during boarding versus loading a suitcase full of trinkets to share with your friends and family later. There are certain flights I can think of both DOM and INTL where I think, gee I should probably grab this or that out of the UC cause they aren't likely to serve it on the flight or the quality will be poor (i.e. steaks on UA flights).

-James
Have you taken steak out of the lounge?
chavala likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Please, stop posting about taking things out of the Polaris Lounge in this thread. This thread is about tipping in the Polaris Lounge. I feel bad that I'm the cause that the posts changed direction when I only wanted to correct a misinformation. The misinformation was that you need to ask for soft drinks at the bar in the Polaris Lounges.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
I don't get it...... I tip for drinks in the UC and dislike it, I tip usually in Polaris lounge... in both cases I receive the same (not exceptional) service. At $1 a drink, the bartender serving 30 drinks an hour, which should be low IMHO, then that is $30 plus whatever base the union decrees and benefits per hour. Seems excessive to me, but if I could get that gig, I would. Much prefer self service.
am1108 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 25, 2018 at 9:52 pm Reason: unneeded cpmment removed
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
I don't get it...... I tip for drinks in the UC and dislike it, I tip usually in Polaris lounge... in both cases I receive the same (not exceptional) service. At $1 a drink, the bartender serving 30 drinks an hour, which should be low IMHO, then that is $30 plus whatever base the union decrees and benefits per hour. Seems excessive to me, but if I could get that gig, I would.
I highly doubt even at peak hours they are serving 30 drinks an hour. And since we've established in this thread, not everyone tips, they certainly aren't clearing $30/hr in tips.

Even if they got $30/hr consistently - if they are paid a $35K base + tips, I still don't consider that an extravagant wage. especially in the Bay Area, New York, etc....
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SJWarrior
... Really you’re flying a 5, 8 or 10 thousand dollar fare. Put a crowbar a Your wallet Scrooge
By this logic, though, the FAs should also be tipped. And also the gate agents. And probably the baggage handlers.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.