Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
Tips are not expected in Polaris lounges, but employees are allowed to accept them.

Originally Posted by legalalien
Polaris employees are explicitly recruited to "non-tipping" positions
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
they were told not to expect any tips but be appreciative of what they do get and quickly pocket them; they don't want loose bills or a tip jar in sight to give the idea that tipping is expected.
Print Wikipost

Tipping in Polaris lounge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I don't carry cash in the US, so I don't tip on anything free / without a tip line on a credit card slip. For paid drinks, I'll throw a dollar on the CC slip.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I am all for tipping (on good services only), but if you don't drink, and the sit-down dining service is closed, would you still tip? If so, to whom?
If all that is available is self-service, then tip accordingly. And be generous with yourself!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Originally Posted by claaaaaydavis
They're not wrong, a tip jar on a bar does look tacky. Who needs a tip jar anyway? If I want to tip at a bar, I set a couple of dollars under my empty glass before leaving.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by jm0933
They're not wrong, a tip jar on a bar does look tacky. Who needs a tip jar anyway? If I want to tip at a bar, I set a couple of dollars under my empty glass before leaving.
Jar or no jar, I have yet to see a UC bar that does not have some spread of small bills strategically placed just above the well of the bar so the unstated message cannot be missed, i.e., that It's OK to tip here
Santander likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
That would give me something I can use my leftover FPQM's for.
If they would take Skypesos ........
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
I have it figured out. If you live in the US, you likely tip in the PL. Yes I tip there even if there is no bill. And if you see me without cash, I’ve likely just been mugged.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really hope UA or its subcontractors have made it clear to their employees and pay them enough so they don't expect to be tipped. They really should not ask either. For travellers from some other parts of the world, not only the US service is subpar, we also want to be tipped. It is just not good.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tht
UC/PL bar I d $2/3 on the first drink to make sure of prompt service for the rest of my stay, then $1 a drink (not seltzer), in the PL dinning room I have done $5-10 per person depending on how many course we have ordered. Onboard I usually take a bag Toblerome mini’s or ex EWR the large tub of Jersey Shore popcorn for the cabin crew. I guess you can’t call it a tip, because I give it upon boarding, but my aim is to encourage good service, and it mostly works. I do similar LH, but not on SQ and as both have self service bars I don’t tip there. I generally leave about $5 after a shower in a lounge for the cleaning staff.
Im curious; why would you tip the efforts of pouring a glass of wine and not the pouring of a glass of fizzy water?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
This is a hot topic that I also question each time I’m in a Polaris lounge. I would say the majority don’t tip. I tip occasionally and it is quickly removed from the bar. I get the sense that the bartenders are paid to a level that doesn’t demand/expect tips and that they are instructed to not display tips or tip jars (I’ve never seen one).

That said, in the United Club I tend to have a different perspective and tip a dollar per drink. I’m not sure why I value them differently (domestic cheap fares va expensive J fares?) or if the wages are on par.

I have tipped occasionally at Polaris when I ask for a more complex cocktail like a Bloody Mary or a double or if they begin to recognize my order after a flight delay.

chavala likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 22, 2018 at 12:08 pm Reason: Removed response to deleted OT comment
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Several posters have stated that Polaris lounge employees get paid well. Where does this information come from? The employees themselves? Word of mouth? What?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I have not tipped in the Polaris lounge as I do not usually drink alcohol before flying as it is dehydrating. When offered the glass of wine in the dining area said yes and it never arrived. The service in the dining area (two times I have used it) has been underwhelming and it did not occur to me to tip.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 22, 2018 at 12:05 pm Reason: OT (uber) content deletd
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zitsky
Several posters have stated that Polaris lounge employees get paid well. Where does this information come from? The employees themselves? Word of mouth? What?
There is a posted job for a SFO Lounge Attendant - Polaris. It is interesting, at least to me, it is a union position. The pay is a whopping $18.20/hr or a whopping $37,856 yearly. Probably a bit more for premium pay on holidays.

Anyone who lives in the Bay Area knows $38K is not a survivable wage without a lot of roommates - public assistance, etc. On the flip side, while the job requires essentially no experience, $38K is pitiful in the Bay Area.

https://external-flysfo.icims.com/jo...ed-polaris/job
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
There is a posted job for a SFO Lounge Attendant - Polaris. It is interesting, at least to me, it is a union position. The pay is a whopping $18.20/hr or a whopping $37,856 yearly. Probably a bit more for premium pay on holidays.

Anyone who lives in the Bay Area knows $38K is not a survivable wage without a lot of roommates - public assistance, etc. On the flip side, while the job requires essentially no experience, $38K is pitiful in the Bay Area.

https://external-flysfo.icims.com/jo...ed-polaris/job
And SFO has a living wage policy, which makes this job likely to pay all above and beyond the wages in the other PLs across the system.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
We typically leave a couple of dollars per person when at the Polaris dining room, for much the same reasons others stated above.

Having said that, earlier this month I found myself at SFO with not a single dollar in my wallet, having emptied them all out and replaced with Euros for my upcoming trip. I warned my server in advance that I wouldn't be able to tip. She advised "everything is here free" and was one of the best servers I've experienced recently, in any situation, and I noticed that she provided the tables around me with the same excellent service.

I do find it terrible that here in the US employers don't pay servers a living wage and would much rather restaurant prices go up and we do away with tipping, but I don't foresee that happening anytime soon.

Happy New Year to everyone.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by janehoya
We typically leave a couple of dollars per person when at the Polaris dining room, for much the same reasons others stated above.

Having said that, earlier this month I found myself at SFO with not a single dollar in my wallet, having emptied them all out and replaced with Euros for my upcoming trip. I warned my server in advance that I wouldn't be able to tip. She advised "everything is here free" and was one of the best servers I've experienced recently, in any situation, and I noticed that she provided the tables around me with the same excellent service.

I do find it terrible that here in the US employers don't pay servers a living wage and would much rather restaurant prices go up and we do away with tipping, but I don't foresee that happening anytime soon.

Happy New Year to everyone.
It started at some high end restaurants (tipping is included in the price). I don't remember where but if I recall correctly a famous chef implemented it in his restaurant in Chicago and others followed.

Before I leave for a trip, my wife makes sure that I have a lot of small $ bills in my wallet. Tips in the UCs, the van drivers to the hotels, the luggage handlers in the hotels, the persons cleaning my hotel room (I used to tip at the end of the stay but my wife says that there are different workers on different days so it's more fair if I leave a tip every day).

I never tipped the bartenders pouring the Champagne in the ORD Polaris Lounge. I had read that there were hired at a higher wage. I never ate in the sit down area but recall that the menu was suggesting to leave a tip (or maybe I have that part wrong).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.