Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
Tips are not expected in Polaris lounges, but employees are allowed to accept them.

Originally Posted by legalalien
Polaris employees are explicitly recruited to "non-tipping" positions
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
they were told not to expect any tips but be appreciative of what they do get and quickly pocket them; they don't want loose bills or a tip jar in sight to give the idea that tipping is expected.
Print Wikipost

Tipping in Polaris lounge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
Without naming names, I disagree, especially at SFO and (believe it or not) EWR.
Those must rotate out of their shift when I visit!
EWR764 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
The woman who has served me breakfast multiple times at EWR is very professional and provides top-quality service exceeding what I experience in many restaurants. I’m always happy to leave a tip, if I have cash with me (which is about 50% of the time these days).
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
I always tip $20 for dinner for 2 served in the a la carte dining room in the Polaris lounges.
Most of my dinner is $20 all-in while on the road
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
What about biz travelers whose employers won't reimburse cash expenses? I don't travel intl J so this isn't applicable to me, but it's the same kind of concept as tipping hotel maids.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: 1K
I rarely have cash on me, however if the service is above and beyond I will tip, especially after a drink or two at the bar that requires work (cocktail etc). I flew through EWR on Thanksgiving and Nicole (I believe that was her name) worked the bar at night and was extremely friendly to everyone and we chatted for a while. I had no cash so went to the ATM right outside and left her a tip. Otherwise I don't often tip mainly due to not having cash on me.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by SkiPremier
I rarely have cash on me, however if the service is above and beyond I will tip, especially after a drink or two at the bar that requires work (cocktail etc). I flew through EWR on Thanksgiving and Nicole (I believe that was her name) worked the bar at night and was extremely friendly to everyone and we chatted for a while. I had no cash so went to the ATM right outside and left her a tip. Otherwise I don't often tip mainly due to not having cash on me.
Funny this. You live in a country where tipping is normal and rarely have cash.
I do business in Japan where everyone has cash and yet, no one tips.
In fact, in 25+ years of doing business in Japan, I have only been asked to take a credit card a handful of times. Everybody pays in cash (there are no checks in Japan). I can remember having to make hotel reservations for some of my Japanese clients when they came to trade shows in America because they didn't have a credit card.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Anyone who tells me I have to leave a tip is NOT getting one.
Xyzzy and lowmiles like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I tip waiters and bartenders at lounges just as I would the same person at a cash-paid restaurant in the US. I don't see any difference and I don't subscribe to the false comparisons nor do I let my personal views of how the world ought to run get in the way of how it runs for the particular employee. I also tip the "regulars" more at the holidays. Just because. I don't over-rationalize these things. Largely because they aren't.
UA_Flyer, janehoya and pdx1 like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:47 pm

Foreign travelers may not be used to tipping at a restaurant at all. Tipping 20% is definitely an American-specific custom. A tip to a bartender in Ireland would be offensive, for example.
SkyTeem likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:55 pm

Never even crossed my mind. But feel free to leave a tip if you want, it's a great way to allow UA to lower wages, keep costs down for the rest of us.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
I always leave an amount proportionate to what I'd pay at a decent restaurant. Last time there, I had lunch and left $5.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
I felt like we were the only ones tipping. Anyone else?
Generally, I've noticed that most people don't tip for drinks in Airline lounges or Centurion lounges. I will always tip for a drink. With the only possible exception of being Japan and/or South Korea, I've found their protestations notwithstanding, everyone appreciates a cash tip.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I always tip in the Polaris/UC US lounges - I don't tip overseas.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by st530
There was a waiter in the ORD PL (I don't think he's there anymore or else I just haven't run into him lately) who had his rehearsed speech every time he got a new table: "Everything is complimentary, the only thing is if you want to leave something for the service."
I forget which PL, but I've gotten this speech. And it was a delivered in what I thought was a bit pointed manner. I felt it was pretty tacky to be requesting a tip.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I always tip in the Polaris/UC US lounges - I don't tip overseas.
Agreed.

While I always tip, but, may only leave a penny, if they pull this on me. To this day, though it's customary for me, a tip is still purely discretionary. No one is under any obligation to leave anything above what is mandated on the bill.

Last edited by Visconti; Dec 20, 2018 at 2:36 pm Reason: PS - wrong quote, was meant for the post right below it from Eadward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.