Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
Tips are not expected in Polaris lounges, but employees are allowed to accept them.

Originally Posted by legalalien
Polaris employees are explicitly recruited to "non-tipping" positions
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
they were told not to expect any tips but be appreciative of what they do get and quickly pocket them; they don't want loose bills or a tip jar in sight to give the idea that tipping is expected.
Print Wikipost

Tipping in Polaris lounge

Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by joe_miami
By this logic, though, the FAs should also be tipped. And also the gate agents. And probably the baggage handlers.
Exactly. Why are bartenders and waitstaff at sit-down dining services only groups getting in on the fun? What about restroom attendants in the PL?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
I tip the waitstaff if I have a full meal and always tip the person cleaning the shower.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
How many of you tip out of your own money?
Not part of per diem/not expensed?

For those that fly for work, how much a year do you spend tipping airport staff? Wouldn't u rather buy something nice for your wife/partner/kid/mom for that money?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:05 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by rankourabu

For those that fly for work, how much a year do you spend tipping airport staff? Wouldn't u rather buy something nice for your wife/partner/kid/mom for that money?
I tip when I use the sit-down dining at the Polaris Club. Usually $5 (unless the service is awful). And it's my own money - no reimbursement at all. I think I can live with that.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by rankourabu

I always tip using my own money when visiting the Polaris Lounge.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
By this logic, though, the FAs should also be tipped. And also the gate agents. And probably the baggage handlers.
Why stop there? Why not tip the kitchen staff? The busboys? How about the janitors in the terminal? They make a lot less than a Polaris bartender.

But I would like to confirm something I read upthread: United pays their waitstaff and bartenders more than what theyd typically get working at a normal restaurant? And it is advertised as a No-Tip position?
Is this true?

Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chavala

Why stop there? Why not tip the kitchen staff? The busboys? How about the janitors in the terminal? They make a lot less than a Polaris bartender.

But I would like to confirm something I read upthread: United pays their waitstaff and bartenders more than what theyd typically get working at a normal restaurant? And it is advertised as a No-Tip position?
Is this true?
1) So if you can't tip everyone, you should tip no one?
2) I've already asked that question and there was no answer.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chavala
Originally Posted by zitsky
Non sequitur. Nothing is stopping anyone from tipping the other workers mentioned.
Miggles likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by transportprof
Perhaps United should build a capacity to tip PL employees in Miles into the next iteration of their App?
No thank you.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:39 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by LondonElite

Im curious; why would you tip the efforts of pouring a glass of wine and not the pouring of a glass of fizzy water?
Because I order both together, I also would not drink wine in a lounge, quality is to low, Bloody Mary or an old fashioned, also I have never seen them pour seltzer there, they dispense it from the sofa gun.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zitsky
2) I've already asked that question and there was no answer.
I tip restaurant waiters generously because they make below minimum wage and tips are considered part of their income. If Polaris waiters are not paid this way, and in fact United advertised the position as Non Tipping, then I am not going to do it anymore. Can someone confirm if this is indeed true?
And is this just the Polaris lounge staff or the regular UCs?
As for the reason that living in the Bay Area is so expensive and they barely make a living wage boo hoo!
Thats the one and only reason I dont live in California, so they arent getting my sympathy.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
I always tip for great service no matter where, but that's just me.

But a few times at the EWR UC, I did have no choice but to slap a bill to so much as get any attention from the bartenders, like as if tipping was a prerequisite before service. Despite that snafu, each drink I requested after that was poured swiftly despite how busy the bar was. Imagine that.

It isn't like EWR is the standard beacon for customer satisfaction by any stretch of the imagination. But when I approach any UC bar and slap a bill on the counter, good things always happen regardless of the bartender or the bar's capacity. Perhaps a good reference for PL.

I'd also imagine that any bonus, raise or promotion would go further than any tipping, so if it's in the UC or PL, do like me and write a compliment for them via the Customer Care site.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DBam
I always tip for great service no matter where, but that's just me.

But a few times at the EWR UC, I did have no choice but to slap a bill to so much as get any attention from the bartenders, like as if tipping was a prerequisite before service. Despite that snafu, each drink I requested after that was poured swiftly despite how busy the bar was. Imagine that.

It isn't like EWR is the standard beacon for customer satisfaction by any stretch of the imagination. But when I approach any UC bar and slap a bill on the counter, good things always happen regardless of the bartender or the bar's capacity. Perhaps a good reference for PL.
This post is unintentionally, no doubt Exhibit A in the case against tipping in lounges.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Meola10
Have you taken steak out of the lounge?
Not recently !

Originally Posted by DBam
Bear in mind service quality, especially at outstations like EWR are known to not nearly be as good as their hubs like LHR

-James
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
This post is unintentionally, no doubt Exhibit A in the case against tipping in lounges.
Half joking, if I never tipped during some of those occasions, I probably would still be standing at the bar to this day.

What's a guy to do for a drink?
joe_miami likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.