Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
Tips are not expected in Polaris lounges, but employees are allowed to accept them.

Originally Posted by legalalien
Polaris employees are explicitly recruited to "non-tipping" positions
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
they were told not to expect any tips but be appreciative of what they do get and quickly pocket them; they don't want loose bills or a tip jar in sight to give the idea that tipping is expected.
Print Wikipost

Tipping in Polaris lounge

Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by enviroian
Did you walk back out into the lounge with your birthday suit on asking for a bar of Ivory?
follow up question - did you tip after receiving said bar of soap?

So let me get this straight (explain this to a non-american please)

Basic amenities missing from, again, a premium lounge - no tip
Basic amenities present in a premium lounge is what is considered above & beyond - requires a tip?

Whats next? Tips for the person who restocks the muffins?

How about instead of tipping someone who pours a glass of wine in a premium lounge, we tip the amazing people who do the rebookings in a snowstorm and deal with DYKWIAs all day long? Why do those agents not get a tip?

Last edited by rankourabu; Jun 11, 2019 at 10:56 am
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
So let me get this straight (explain this to a non-american please)

Basic amenities missing from, again, a premium lounge - no tip
Basic amenities present in a premium lounge is what is considered above & beyond - requires a tip?
In American culture, in some industries/contexts you only tip for "above and beyond", and in other industries/contexts (especially hospitality and especially certain kinds of food service) you tip for good/reasonably competent service. A premium airline lounge is an unusual case and is right on the border which is why everyone has disagreements in this thread and it's never going to be resolved.

How about...we tip the amazing people who do the rebookings in a snowstorm and deal with DYKWIAs all day long? Why do those agents not get a tip?
Because they are not in the hospitality industry.

Look, we aren't inventing a tipping culture from scratch based on first principles, this thread is a discussion basically of whether Polaris Lounges fall into the pre-existing tipping or non-tipping bucket, not whether those buckets are rational or whether they are a good idea, and as I said it's right on the border.

Not tipping your Polaris Lounge server is acceptable compared to not tipping a restaurant server [in America], and tipping your Polaris Lounge server is more acceptable than tipping your gate agent. Obviously there's a lot of disagreement about where on that spectrum it falls exactly.
transportprof likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Did you walk back out into the lounge with your birthday suit on asking for a bar of Ivory?
Some FTers have very colorful imaginations! I always travel with my own bar of soap (Dove, if you're into brand names), and was able to deploy it without exposing myself to anybody else in the Polaris lounge.

I guess my point was that if the shower suite is fully stocked and well cleaned, I consider that above-average service. If it is less clean or missing items, then it is below average, in terms of the service that went into setting it up.

And I fully agree with threeoh about the Polaris Lounge being right on the line about whether it falls into the "tipping expected" zone of American hospitality culture or not. I am thus not trying to convince anyone else to follow my lead, just adding another few data points on how one FTer handles this gray area.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Just a reminder of previous reminders
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
"Tipping"

The subject of tipping while we travel on UA, and particular tipping of bartenders in lounges, is a regular subject. However, it tends to morph into a discussion of the "American culture of tipping." The former is relevant to the UA forum but the latter which tends to quickly dominates a thread is better for other forums, such as Should I tip?
WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Topic Check

This thread is about tipping at the Polaris Lounge.
Discussion of other situations we encounter in life is not the topic of a thread in the UA forum
The various societal norms around the world is not the topic of a thread in the UA forum
Making personal comments about choices others make is not allowed by FT rules.
And discussion needs to to be civil and collegial -- we don't need to agree but all entitled to express their personal choices without ridicule from others.

To try to get this thread back on a discussion for the UA forum, a number of posts have been removed.
Let's return to the title topic and a discussion within the rules of FT.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by transportprof
I guess my point was that if the shower suite is fully stocked and well cleaned, I consider that above-average service. If it is less clean or missing items, then it is below average, in terms of the service that went into setting it up.
A shower having soap is above average?
Xyzzy, seanp7, chavala and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
A shower having soap is above average?
No. But being well cleaned and having soap is above average - at least in the USA. In a Lufthansa Senator Lounge or an ANA Lounge at NRT, I would have different expectations, but the standards of airport cleanliness are lower across the board in the USA.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
No. But being well cleaned and having soap is above average - at least in the USA. In a Lufthansa Senator Lounge or an ANA Lounge at NRT, I would have different expectations, but the standards of airport cleanliness are lower across the board in the USA.
I've had worse shower experiences than missing soap (off topic, but MLL Shower Mishaps), so I get it.

But then I don't think "average" is worth tipping in that situation. I've tipped in UCs and at the Polaris bar. But there's a huge difference between "I did my job and refilled the soap" and "Hey, I remember you. Long time no see. Can I get you a rum and Coke Zero?" (the latter happened in SFO Polaris).

Remembering me and my drink is exceptional service, and I left a tip.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
ouch. clean and soap = above average in the US. That hurts. Honestly, these are just basic expectations which in a Polaris lounge IMO don't deserve a tip.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
I am shocked at the percentage of people tipping in the sit-down dining area....about half of the tables, I'd estimate, with those that are tipping generally leaving $5 per person

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 28, 2019 at 10:01 pm Reason: split post
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by ikwia

ETA (again): I am shocked at the percentage of people tipping in the sit-down dining area....about half of the tables, I'd estimate, with those that are tipping generally leaving $5 per person
Were you shocked at how few people left a tip, or at how many did so?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Were you shocked at how few people left a tip, or at how many did so?
I was surprised how many did.

Also, tips were very conspicuously left out in numerous locations on the bar...some even looked planted. This contradicts info in the wiki saying that staff should promptly remove tips from sight. I wouldn’t think that would last long...

p.s. I don’t remember posting on this thread, I’m guessing a mod moved part of one of my other posts here
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:27 am

Also, tips were very conspicuously left out in numerous locations on the bar...some even looked planted. This contradicts info in the wiki saying that staff should promptly remove tips from sight. I wouldn’t think that would last long...

p.s. I don’t remember posting on this thread, I’m guessing a mod moved part of one of my other posts here
Interesting. Just like the PL tips, your posting is being moved around to draw attention. It worked!

I'm in the pro-tip camp, and was surprised to read how many people would stiff somebody who served them a multi-course meal.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I always tip even at the bars in the UCs but definitely at the PL when I ear and order drinks. Maybe it's just me, but I have family in the FBI (Food and Beverage Industry).
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

Read the rest of the thread while you're here. The debate is quite fascinating.
I'm in the no-tip camp.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
...surprised to read how many people would stiff somebody who served them a multi-course meal.
The tipping-the-waiter is a funny mess (in the USA).
My son worked at a place right out of high school as a waiter, where he had to hand in all the tips he received; he wasn't allowed to keep ANY!
The Polaris lounge is an odd place for many reasons. When I first started visiting, I would tip (out of habit) but have since mostly stopped tipping at the bar, and reduced the times I tip for the sit-down meal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.