FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Adds 11 New Routes from Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles & Washington,DC for 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1946629-ua-adds-11-new-routes-chicago-houston-los-angeles-washington-dc-2019-a.html)

WineCountryUA Dec 19, 2018 10:07 am

UA Adds 11 New Routes from Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles & Washington,DC for 2019

The More the Merrier - United Airlines Adds 11 New Routes from Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles and Washington, D.C.
Airline Announces Nearly 100 New Routes in 2018

Adds seven new flights between Chicago and Colorado, Florida, Oregon and Nova Scotia

Begins nonstop service today between New York/Newark and Palm Springs, California, and between Washington Dulles and Miami

CHICAGO, Dec. 19, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced the addition of 11 new routes from its hubs in Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles and Washington, D.C. United's new summer service, beginning in June 2019, will connect customers to popular summer vacation destinations in California, Colorado, Florida, Oregon, Michigan and Nova Scotia. Tickets are now available for purchase.

In 2018, United introduced 93 new routes across the United States, including 15 international routes – adding more flights than any U.S. airline. Today's additions are part of United's 78 domestic routes announced this year and build on the airline's record network expansion.

"We are focused on giving our customers more reasons to choose to fly United Airlines," said Ankit Gupta, United's vice president of Domestic Network Planning and Scheduling. "With nearly 100 new routes announced this year, we continue to deliver on our commitment to build a global network with destinations where our customers want to fly."

Chicago to Colorado, Florida, Oregon and Nova Scotia
From United's hometown hub, the airline will offer seven new routes connecting customers to Florida beaches, Oregon's Willamette Valley and Cascade Mountains and the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Additionally, beginning June 6, United will offer daily service to the stunning coastline and scenery of Halifax on the Nova Scotia peninsula in Canada.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...39e25d4642.png

Houston to Durango, Colorado, and Ontario, California
United's new service between its Houston hub at George Bush Intercontinental Airport offers customers nonstop access for the summer season to outdoor summer fun in Durango and southwestern Colorado's San Juan mountain range. United will also begin daily, year-round service between Houston and Ontario in southern California. From Ontario, customers can easily access four major interstates, including easy access to Los Angeles and Long Beach.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ec1f7c47ba.png

Los Angles to Stockton, California
Beginning Aug. 20, 2019, United's new, twice-daily service between Los Angeles and Stockton will provide Stockton travelers seamless access to United's global network at its Los Angeles hub.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...aa29494fe4.png

Washington Dulles to Traverse City, Michigan
Located on the eastern shores of Lake Michigan, picturesque Traverse City is an ideal destination for a summer vacation. In fact, fans of the National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington can follow up with a trip to Traverse City, home of the annual week-long National Cherry Festival in July. United customers traveling between Washington, D.C. and Traverse City will enjoy the area's freshwater beaches, vineyards and nearby national forest and state park.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9f691ddb60.png

Booking summer travel is an opportunity for United MileagePlus members to enjoy the benefits and perks of their membership. Whether it's a trip for business or a vacation getaway with friends or family, MileagePlus Premier and eligible United MileagePlus Chase cardmembers can book Everyday Awards on flights operated by United and United Express.

EWR764 Dec 19, 2018 10:12 am

Nice to see flights like IAH-ONT/DRO and ORD-YHZ back in the schedule. A bunch of E75 redeyes, there!

morrisunc Dec 19, 2018 10:13 am

Those are some long CR2 routes. No thanks.

lazytom Dec 19, 2018 10:15 am

Wow, EUG is becoming a United mini-hub - after adding LAX we now also get ORD service :-)

IAH-OIL-TRASH Dec 19, 2018 10:21 am

Originally Posted by lazytom (Post 30553208)
Wow, EUG is becoming a United mini-hub - after adding LAX we now also get ORD service :-)

That definition would make just about every outstation a mini-hub. I wouldn't call OGG a mini-hub just because it had service to 4 hubs (LAX, SFO, DEN, and ORD).

Santander Dec 19, 2018 11:09 am

ORD-YHZ! Nice!

mbritter Dec 19, 2018 11:12 am

Perfect timing for the YHZ-ORD direct flight. Confirmed entry for Chicago marathon next year so this definitely saves the hassle of going through YYZ or YUL.

Darlox Dec 19, 2018 11:16 am

I've never understood the utility of vacation destination flights that:
* Are only 1 or 2 days per week
and;
* Return on Sunday mornings or early afternoon, or alternately, depart outbound on Saturday afternoons.

Vacationers are generally trying to maximize their time (at least the folks I hang out with are!). Flights like this are always met with all kinds of "look at how we're expanding our network" fanfare... and then in 6 months, we'll be hearing about how "revenue did not live up to our expectations".

Maybe because people want to come home on Sunday instead of waste a vacation day coming home on Saturday, or maybe because they can fly some other airline late-afternoon, instead of UA's single frequency on Saturday morning/lunchtime??

Color me clueless, but I've never been able to figure out schedules like these. :(

EWR764 Dec 19, 2018 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Darlox (Post 30553448)
and;
* Return on Sunday mornings or early afternoon, or alternately, depart outbound on Saturday afternoons.

Vacationers are generally trying to maximize their time (at least the folks I hang out with are!). Flights like this are always met with all kinds of "look at how we're expanding our network" fanfare... and then in 6 months, we'll be hearing about how "revenue did not live up to our expectations".

Maybe because people want to come home on Sunday instead of waste a vacation day coming home on Saturday, or maybe because they can fly some other airline late-afternoon, instead of UA's single frequency on Saturday morning/lunchtime??

Color me clueless, but I've never been able to figure out schedules like these. :(

Timeshare turnover. There are lots of interval ownership properties in that part of Florida and the typical stay is Saturday-Saturday or Sunday-Sunday (PM checkin, late AM checkout).

It's the same reason the majority of nonstop ski town service (outside of DEN) is Saturday-only outside of major holiday weeks.

beachmouse Dec 19, 2018 12:18 pm

Not just timeshares but also vacation condo rentals in general. Probably 90% of the lodging in the Florida panhandle is rental homes and condos and 90% of those are only by the week, typically Saturday to Saturday, during peak tourism season

findark Dec 19, 2018 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by lazytom (Post 30553208)

Obligatory "but still no LAX-PDX..." :P

Collierkr Dec 19, 2018 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Darlox (Post 30553448)
and;

many of these destinations are geared off of week long stays where standard rental check-ins are Sat to Sat.

I am loving the IAH-ONT flights... great LAX alternative (at least for me).

RobOnLI Dec 19, 2018 1:58 pm

Not one of those is mainline. Wow.

-RM

radiowell Dec 19, 2018 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Collierkr (Post 30553810)
I am loving the IAH-ONT flights... great LAX alternative (at least for me).

Still no IAH-BUR :(

cesco.g Dec 19, 2018 2:32 pm

Good to see another LAX intra-CA flight. Now we only need SJC-LAX back!