Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Adds 11 New Routes from Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles & Washington,DC for 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Adds 11 New Routes from Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles & Washington,DC for 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:07 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

The More the Merrier - United Airlines Adds 11 New Routes from Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles and Washington, D.C.
Airline Announces Nearly 100 New Routes in 2018

Adds seven new flights between Chicago and Colorado, Florida, Oregon and Nova Scotia

Begins nonstop service today between New York/Newark and Palm Springs, California, and between Washington Dulles and Miami

CHICAGO, Dec. 19, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced the addition of 11 new routes from its hubs in Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles and Washington, D.C. United's new summer service, beginning in June 2019, will connect customers to popular summer vacation destinations in California, Colorado, Florida, Oregon, Michigan and Nova Scotia. Tickets are now available for purchase.

In 2018, United introduced 93 new routes across the United States, including 15 international routes – adding more flights than any U.S. airline. Today's additions are part of United's 78 domestic routes announced this year and build on the airline's record network expansion.

"We are focused on giving our customers more reasons to choose to fly United Airlines," said Ankit Gupta, United's vice president of Domestic Network Planning and Scheduling. "With nearly 100 new routes announced this year, we continue to deliver on our commitment to build a global network with destinations where our customers want to fly."

Chicago to Colorado, Florida, Oregon and Nova Scotia
From United's hometown hub, the airline will offer seven new routes connecting customers to Florida beaches, Oregon's Willamette Valley and Cascade Mountains and the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Additionally, beginning June 6, United will offer daily service to the stunning coastline and scenery of Halifax on the Nova Scotia peninsula in Canada.

Houston to Durango, Colorado, and Ontario, California
United's new service between its Houston hub at George Bush Intercontinental Airport offers customers nonstop access for the summer season to outdoor summer fun in Durango and southwestern Colorado's San Juan mountain range. United will also begin daily, year-round service between Houston and Ontario in southern California. From Ontario, customers can easily access four major interstates, including easy access to Los Angeles and Long Beach.

Los Angles to Stockton, California
Beginning Aug. 20, 2019, United's new, twice-daily service between Los Angeles and Stockton will provide Stockton travelers seamless access to United's global network at its Los Angeles hub.

Washington Dulles to Traverse City, Michigan
Located on the eastern shores of Lake Michigan, picturesque Traverse City is an ideal destination for a summer vacation. In fact, fans of the National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington can follow up with a trip to Traverse City, home of the annual week-long National Cherry Festival in July. United customers traveling between Washington, D.C. and Traverse City will enjoy the area's freshwater beaches, vineyards and nearby national forest and state park.

Booking summer travel is an opportunity for United MileagePlus members to enjoy the benefits and perks of their membership. Whether it's a trip for business or a vacation getaway with friends or family, MileagePlus Premier and eligible United MileagePlus Chase cardmembers can book Everyday Awards on flights operated by United and United Express.
Santander and EWR764 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 19, 2018 at 10:23 am Reason: formatting
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Nice to see flights like IAH-ONT/DRO and ORD-YHZ back in the schedule. A bunch of E75 redeyes, there!
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Those are some long CR2 routes. No thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: UA Silver, AS
Wow, EUG is becoming a United mini-hub - after adding LAX we now also get ORD service :-)
kirkwoodj and artvandalay like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lazytom
Wow, EUG is becoming a United mini-hub - after adding LAX we now also get ORD service :-)
That definition would make just about every outstation a mini-hub. I wouldn't call OGG a mini-hub just because it had service to 4 hubs (LAX, SFO, DEN, and ORD).
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
ORD-YHZ! Nice!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:12 am

Perfect timing for the YHZ-ORD direct flight. Confirmed entry for Chicago marathon next year so this definitely saves the hassle of going through YYZ or YUL.
rmadisonwi, kirkwoodj and onthesam like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
I've never understood the utility of vacation destination flights that:
* Are only 1 or 2 days per week
and;
* Return on Sunday mornings or early afternoon, or alternately, depart outbound on Saturday afternoons.

Vacationers are generally trying to maximize their time (at least the folks I hang out with are!). Flights like this are always met with all kinds of "look at how we're expanding our network" fanfare... and then in 6 months, we'll be hearing about how "revenue did not live up to our expectations".

Maybe because people want to come home on Sunday instead of waste a vacation day coming home on Saturday, or maybe because they can fly some other airline late-afternoon, instead of UA's single frequency on Saturday morning/lunchtime??

Color me clueless, but I've never been able to figure out schedules like these.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Darlox
and;
* Return on Sunday mornings or early afternoon, or alternately, depart outbound on Saturday afternoons.

Vacationers are generally trying to maximize their time (at least the folks I hang out with are!). Flights like this are always met with all kinds of "look at how we're expanding our network" fanfare... and then in 6 months, we'll be hearing about how "revenue did not live up to our expectations".

Maybe because people want to come home on Sunday instead of waste a vacation day coming home on Saturday, or maybe because they can fly some other airline late-afternoon, instead of UA's single frequency on Saturday morning/lunchtime??

Timeshare turnover. There are lots of interval ownership properties in that part of Florida and the typical stay is Saturday-Saturday or Sunday-Sunday (PM checkin, late AM checkout).

It's the same reason the majority of nonstop ski town service (outside of DEN) is Saturday-only outside of major holiday weeks.
drewguy and FlyerTalkUserName like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Not just timeshares but also vacation condo rentals in general. Probably 90% of the lodging in the Florida panhandle is rental homes and condos and 90% of those are only by the week, typically Saturday to Saturday, during peak tourism season
EWR764 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by lazytom
Obligatory "but still no LAX-PDX..." :P
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Darlox
and;

many of these destinations are geared off of week long stays where standard rental check-ins are Sat to Sat.

I am loving the IAH-ONT flights... great LAX alternative (at least for me).
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Not one of those is mainline. Wow.

-RM
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Collierkr
I am loving the IAH-ONT flights... great LAX alternative (at least for me).
Still no IAH-BUR
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good to see another LAX intra-CA flight. Now we only need SJC-LAX back!
myperks likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.