Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...

LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...

Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
First time in the LAX Polaris Lounge. Very nice layout but agree that it is much smaller than SFO or EWR. I hope it’s right sized for the expected volume.

Really friendly and efficient service and excellent food both at the buffet and the restaurant. I’m a fan, very impressive.
MatthewLAX and worldclubber like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
A question to those of you have been to both lounges, the new Polaris lounge and the *A lounge at TBIT:

Have a flight on LH F coming up and would usually go to the *A lounge at TBIT, but I am not a huge fan of the dining room there (mediocre food selection, no views, often slow service ...). Would you say it is worth walking over to the Polaris lounge in T7 for a nice dinner?

Thank you!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by worldclubber
A question to those of you have been to both lounges, the new Polaris lounge and the *A lounge at TBIT:

Have a flight on LH F coming up and would usually go to the *A lounge at TBIT, but I am not a huge fan of the dining room there (mediocre food selection, no views, often slow service ...). Would you say it is worth walking over to the Polaris lounge in T7 for a nice dinner?

Thank you!
Since you’ve already done the *A lounge (assuming First Class section) at TBIT, why not give the Polaris a try.

You’ll get better views of the tarmac (between T7 & 6) and enjoy a similar a la carte menu service that you’d get at the First Class *A lounge, albeit with a few more California centric dishes, better craft cocktails and a more lively (yet relaxing) atmosphere.

If you can get your boarding pass on the LH app, you can simply enter LAX at T7 to save you half the walk. Plus, if you don’t like it, you can always hit the *A First Class as you head back towards your gate @ TBIT.
cuthroat and tstauck like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by FoxFlyer

Since you’ve already done the *A lounge (assuming First Class section) at TBIT, why not give the Polaris a try.

You’ll get better views of the tarmac (between T7 & 6) and enjoy a similar a la carte menu service that you’d get at the First Class *A lounge, albeit with a few more California centric dishes, better craft cocktails and a more lively (yet relaxing) atmosphere.

If you can get your boarding pass on the LH app, you can simply enter LAX at T7 to save you half the walk. Plus, if you don’t like it, you can always hit the *A First Class as you head back towards your gate @ TBIT.
Thanks a lot for your fast reply.

Yes, I have been to the F-section of the *A lounge at TBIT about a dozen times and don’t find it particularly inviting. And the combination of food, cocktails and views made me think about checking out the Polaris lounge. I’m tempted, just heard it is a long and not so pretty walk airside between TBIT and T7.

Unfortunately, we will most likely have one checked bag on this trip. This means we will have to hit the TBIT check-in counters before going to T7. In this case, would you drop the bag at TBIT, go landside to T7 and through the security check there or use the TBIT security check and then walk to T7 airside?

Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks a lot for your fast reply.

Yes, I have been to the F-section of the *A lounge at TBIT about a dozen times and don’t find it particularly inviting. And the combination of food, cocktails and views made me think about checking out the Polaris lounge. I’m tempted, just heard it is a long and not so pretty walk airside between TBIT and T7.

Unfortunately, we will most likely have one checked bag on this trip. This means we will have to hit the TBIT check-in counters before going to T7. In this case, would you drop the bag at TBIT, go landside to T7 and through the security check there or use the TBIT security check and then walk to T7 airside?

It really depends on how much you like or dislike walking and your schedule for getting to the airport. The walk round trip at a no-sweat pace takes about 35 minutes lounge door to lounge door. It's not a really scenic walk, but it's not particularly unpleasant.

If do want to go to the lounge, I think dropping at TBIT and going landside to T7 makes the most sense.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by fumje
It really depends on how much you like or dislike walking and your schedule for getting to the airport. The walk round trip at a no-sweat pace takes about 35 minutes lounge door to lounge door. It's not a really scenic walk, but it's not particularly unpleasant.

If do want to go to the lounge, I think dropping at TBIT and going landside to T7 makes the most sense.
Great!

I really like walking and usually walk/run an average of 5-10 miles a day. We will be dropped at the airport around noon to 1 p.m. after breakfast with relatives and the flight does not leave until 5:20. Will check the TSA wait times for TBIT and T7 online after we get rid of the bag and then chose the quicker version, I guess.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:14 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Noticed & remembered the green/red light LEDs on the bathroom doors > a nice touch!
No more running into locked doors....
They have these at IAH too. But ORD still haven't fixed their gloom-surrounded doors!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Great!

I really like walking and usually walk/run an average of 5-10 miles a day. We will be dropped at the airport around noon to 1 p.m. after breakfast with relatives and the flight does not leave until 5:20. Will check the TSA wait times for TBIT and T7 online after we get rid of the bag and then chose the quicker version, I guess.
If you don't mind the walk, you should be fine -- just allocate time for it. It's about one mile in each direction (maybe slightly less on the land-side).
worldclubber likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by findark
If you don't mind the walk, you should be fine -- just allocate time for it. It's about one mile in each direction (maybe slightly less on the land-side).
That I can easily handle! ^

Looking forward to checking out the new Polaris lounge and May even make a brief stop at the outdoor area of the United Club to compare it to the terrace of the *A lounge at TBIT.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

That I can easily handle! ^

Looking forward to checking out the new Polaris lounge and May even make a brief stop at the outdoor area of the United Club to compare it to the terrace of the *A lounge at TBIT.
*A lounge has a couple of fire features they light up if it’s cool/cold, although they shut them (and deck) if it starts raining.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
*A lounge has a couple of fire features they light up if it’s cool/cold, although they shut them (and deck) if it starts raining.
I love the long table with the high chairs, the fire and the view on the*A lounge patio, but agree that they are fast to close the patio down for a whole day, even after a brief rain shower. Last time I was there it was a perfectly dry day, but the patio was closed because of „forecasted“ rain and they only let me use it because I had a ticket in international F class.

I wished they had attached an outdoor patio to the Polaris lounge, which would have made it close to perfect.

Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
Have an Aussie milk run in May via LAX, looking forward to checking this out as someone who practically lives at the SFO PL
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I love the long table with the high chairs, the fire and the view on the*A lounge patio, but agree that they are fast to close the patio down for a whole day, even after a brief rain shower. Last time I was there it was a perfectly dry day, but the patio was closed because of „forecasted“ rain and they only let me use it because I had a ticket in international F class.
A week or two ago I was there at the fire feature closer to the door and observed staff member come out to shut off the fires. She told me they were shutting down the deck because it was drizzling. I was relaxing under the overhang with my brain in a book and was totally oblivious to the moisture, which was very light and only lasted a couple of minutes..
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
A week or two ago I was there at the fire feature closer to the door and observed staff member come out to shut off the fires. She told me they were shutting down the deck because it was drizzling. I was relaxing under the overhang with my brain in a book and was totally oblivious to the moisture, which was very light and only lasted a couple of minutes..
The problem is that they will then cover the sofas, take the cushions off the chairs (as in the picture attached above) and blame the allegedly slippery floor for keeping the patio closed for the rest of the day. Really annoys me, as I very much like outdoor patios which are unfortunately so rare nowadays at airports.

(made me feel a bit uncomfortable, too, that they wouldn't let anyone use the patio except for me ...)

Next generation of Polaris lounges should all have an outdoor patio.
tstauck likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Will be through here for a couple of hours next week on the way to LHR (GPU's successfully applied, miracles do happen!). Looking forward to it. Guessing it will be pretty empty in the afternoon as other than LHR I think there's just the two flights down under at 2230ish, and the morning flights to NRT and PVG. Don't think there are any UA afternoon inbounds either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.