Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2023, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by beachfan
Anyone remember the champagne on service?
Lanson
Old Mar 6, 2023, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
Lanson
thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2023, 1:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
While I liked the ambiance, and service was good, food was meh. Tried 3 apps and 3 mains. Ravioli could have been good with about two sticks of butter less.

chicken was actually good, but for time reason a very small portion.

burger was so-so - only ate part.

Soup and salad as discussed above (same menu as in 1/28 picture).

deserts should have been better.

cocktails, both non alcoholic and regular were above average.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 11:02 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Spent 7 hours here a few days ago on a long layover, enough time for 2 meals. Same menu as post #416.

Lunch: ordered Tuscan soup, the burger and Mary's chicken breast. The former was good. The latter was quite spicy for this moderate spicy eater. Both entrees were mediocre. For dessert, got the pie and the cookie with ice cream. The former felt like it was straight out of a Walmart package, while I enjoyed the latter.

Dinner: ordered Tuscan soup again and the other 2 entrees: vegetarian ravioli and fish & chips. They were maybe slightly better than lunch, but not enough to be considered good to me. For dessert, got the cookie with ice cream again and blackberry cobbler. The cobbler was ok. Finished with a pastrami sandwich in the buffet; by then I was pretty full, but still it was perhaps the best food item of this visit.

Overall impression:
  • a la carte dining was a disappointment. Food was generally mediocre. Some comparisons:
    • As far as US lounges go, food is about as good as it gets (the bar is pretty low). The only better food that comes to mind is Flagship LAX buffet last spring.
    • Internationally, I've had better tasting food, e.g. SQ J lounge in SIN. Even some Plaza Premium lounges.
    • I've had better food at Priority Pass restaurants.
    • The braised short ribs on my Polaris flight was far superior. And I've had lots of better food in flights from JAL, CX, QR, EVA, etc.
    • Cheap food in Vietnam on this trip blows this away.
    • The all-inclusive food at Ventana Big Sur was far superior (in 2021).
  • I'm not a drinker, but the most premium drinks at the bar seem to be Lagavulin 16 years and Macallan.
  • Service was great except for one cardboard dining attendant
  • Lounge was empty on arrival in the mid afternoon. By late afternoon, it was packed. Around 7:30, all tables in the dining room were filled, with a few tables in the main lounge left.
  • I sat in one of the ~12 large sofas that are especially comfortable for relaxing or work.

Old Apr 6, 2023, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
As noted elsewhere visited 3x in one day due to a rolling delay (thankfully got out after 6hr delay).

IMO the buffet was vastly inferior to anything I’ve seen at SFO, IAH and ORD Polaris. The lunch was mediocre and worse than what I would find at a regular UC (particularly ORD which I visited last month).

OTOH I really enjoyed breakfast in the sit down restaurant section. In retrospect should have visited again for late lunch but wasn’t sure I had time due to the rolling delay. Also nice that the lounge was never crowded except maybe mid-afternoon. Staff was among the best - all friendly no attitude.

Just another reason to add to my list for avoiding LAX…
Old Apr 9, 2023, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
As noted elsewhere visited 3x in one day due to a rolling delay (thankfully got out after 6hr delay).

IMO the buffet was vastly inferior to anything I’ve seen at SFO, IAH and ORD Polaris. The lunch was mediocre and worse than what I would find at a regular UC (particularly ORD which I visited last month).

OTOH I really enjoyed breakfast in the sit down restaurant section. In retrospect should have visited again for late lunch but wasn’t sure I had time due to the rolling delay. Also nice that the lounge was never crowded except maybe mid-afternoon. Staff was among the best - all friendly no attitude.

Just another reason to add to my list for avoiding LAX…
Was it the same menu as below?

Originally Posted by Sandy Hopper
Today’s menu:

Boraxo likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 1:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Can anyone confirm if the current menu is the same as the one pictured in posts 416 and 426, or if there's a new menu on offer?
Old Apr 19, 2023, 5:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dkc192
Can anyone confirm if the current menu is the same as the one pictured in posts 416 and 426, or if there's a new menu on offer?
Menu from yesterday:

Old Jun 1, 2023, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Champagne was Lanson

Dining room

Appetizer - salad

Main - salmon

Dessert - pavlova

Buffet - breakfast spread and lunch (warm food was not out yet)

Quiet room

Food was ok, nothing memorable, except that service was excruciatingly slow. There were only 5 tables occupied but it took 1h to get all the food.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 3:09 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
What are the hours for the sit down dining area at PL?
Old Jun 29, 2023, 5:30 pm

Breakfast bowl

Omelette

Detox juice
cczzll likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any updates on the current menu?
Old Sep 1, 2023, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Updated menu 9/1. Sticking to liquid diet this morning - hoping in-flight pork chop is edible. Immediate impression is LAX bartender is awesome - knows the bespoke cocktails, which are quite palatable. SFO bartenders have to figure out who knows the cocktails. SFO is easier connection for me most times, but my bias (lounge-wise) going forward will be LAX. Beet the Jet lag (2nd photo) and Pick Me Up pictured (1st).

Edit: add the L’Apero
Edit: add the Whiskuiri. First two cocktails served by regular bartender. 3rd by lounge manager. 4th by newbie, who consulted “how to” sheet. Still - better than SFO where they just ask each other “do you know how to make…?”

SPN Lifer, uanj and DELee like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 1, 2023 at 12:24 pm
Old Sep 1, 2023, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Updated menu 9/1. Sticking to liquid diet this morning - hoping in-flight pork chop is edible. Immediate impression is LAX bartender is awesome - knows the bespoke cocktails, which are quite palatable. SFO bartenders have to figure out who knows the cocktails. SFO is easier connection for me most times, but my bias (lounge-wise) going forward will be LAX. Beet the Jet lag and Pick Me Up pictured.

Enjoy the liquid diet!

David
Old Sep 1, 2023, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Ok - have run through LAX “Signature of the Sky” menu. My rankings:

#1 Pick Me Up - probably the best for a pre-lunch cocktail. If Starbucks was to start selling boozed coffee - this might be one of their top-sellers

#2 Beet the Jetlag - this is like a pisco sour with mental problems. Suitable morning drink.

#3 Whiskuiri - kind of like a Russian margarita.

#4 Polaris Star - never was a gin person, and this concoction doesn’t change it.

#5 L’Apero - pair this with a hot, humid beach, under an umbrella, and seated on a sand chair, this might work. But I’m in an air-conditioned Polaris Lounge.

My favorite Polaris cocktail 🍹 s the Cloud Cover (not on the menu here) - it would sit between #1and 2 on above list.

She knows her stuff.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 1, 2023 at 12:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.