Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Better ua business lax-txl: stop ewr or lhr?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Better ua business lax-txl: stop ewr or lhr?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I think, even with the boasts about awful this or that this much is the accepted advice:

1. Connect in Europe versus EWR, due to the tight connection (and so less ability to use the Polaris lounge in EWR)
2. Connect in Europe versus EWR to allow a longer sleep.
3. Connect in Europe to clear immigration (if not always customs) - though TXL is an easy airport, unlike BRU or AMS, for clearing.

Where FTers don't agree is:

1. Where to connect in EU.
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by cfischer
go via EWR, you will still have access to the LAX Polaris Lounge. Connecting in LHR takes a lot of time and IMO is a hassle, plus you are connecting on EW which is not a *A member and you will in many cases earn less PQM.
What? Connecting T2-T2 is a *breeze* at LHR. Nothing like it used to be at the old T3. True, there is the long walk from T2B to T2A, but I find that refreshing after a long flight. Security is fast and, dare I say it, reasonably efficient. And drops the OP out just about where the TXL flight will leave from, just under a senator lounge. I don't know the current policy with regards to Eurowings and UA and lounge access, so that is a concern, yes.

FRA is a good option as well, especially if you can upgrade to First. Nice arrival lounge in FRA and then just take the train (or a connecting flight on LH). Would do that if you want the longer flight for more sleep, else via EWR.
If you find connecting at LHR long, I am eager to find what you think about FRA and their remote gate+bus strategy I seem to always enjoy. I don't know what terminal the TXL flight leaves from (B?), but you get your pick of at least one passport control and security check. I usually somehow end up with multiples by "following the signs". And I really don't like FRA security checks with their automatic beeping non-metal detectors. I swear I am going to walk through it naked one time just to see if it beeps for me.

I am neutral about LHR vs FRA, actually, after all that rant. You'll get more service from FRA in case of misconect. But I would budget more time for a connection in FRA in the first place.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ryman554
I don't know what terminal the TXL flight leaves from (B?), but you get your pick of at least one passport control and security check. I usually somehow end up with multiples by "following the signs". And I really don't like FRA security checks with their automatic beeping non-metal detectors. I swear I am going to walk through it naked one time just to see if it beeps for me.
There should not be a security check on a US to Schengen transfer.

I think everyone who is familiar with FRA would agree that there's typically a pretty long walk though. MUC or ZRH is an easier transfer. I personally would choose LX via ZRH for the better hard product.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dvs7310
But if the OP is originating at LAX, I'd certainly do LX or OS over both UA and LH. UA's new Polaris seat is superior but not sure how many 764s have been converted yet. I don't like the old CO biz seat on them at all, the foot area is very uncomfortable, as is the 752 used on PS and some international routes.

If it's revenue then no reason not to do LX or OS, they are the same price assuming the fare class is open the same dates. If you had UA planes with the new seats that's another story, but I'd chose LX or OS over LH or old UA any day.
Just bear in mind that LAX-VIE on OS is seasonal service only; other than that OS is a very attractive option!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ryman554
And drops the OP out just about where the TXL flight will leave from, just under a senator lounge. I don't know the current policy with regards to Eurowings and UA and lounge access, so that is a concern, yes.
UA and NH *G can use the Senator Lounge when flying EW.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:23 am

I can't believe no one has suggested the best routing of all: LAX-MUC-TXL. Munich is a lovely airport, nicer and much less crowded than FRA, and like FRA it has hourly flights to TXL. Transiting either FRA or MUC will be a lot easier than LHR. You'll go through immigration (passport control) in FRA/MUC, but you don't need to get your bags until the final destination. They'll be tagged differently than the bags of those who're just traveling within Germany, in case customs wants to take a look, but 99% of the time there isn't even anyone at the exit to check.

Last edited by freemanzhu; Dec 18, 2018 at 10:26 am Reason: add more info
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chase, United
OP here, thanks again to all for help. I too would prefer OS through VIE or LX through ZRH -- those are my favorites for this trip. The awards I need are typically not available far enough in advance to plan around on LH through either FRA or MUC (the former is a pain, for sure, and I have yet to try the latter because of availability). I too have found the reliability of German trains to be surprisingly poor. It is helpful to have my sense of these options validated by those who likely have more experience with them. The other routing I like is SAS with a stop in ARN.

But for boring long-story reasons the choice may be, this time around, EWR or LHR.

Anyway, I really appreciate everyone's thoughts.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I second LX via ZRH or LH via MUC. Other flights leave LAX too early in the day for a good night's sleep. Coming back should definitely be via an European gateway of your preference and not EWR to avoid clearing US immigration/security at a connection point.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 764toHI
I second LX via ZRH or LH via MUC. Other flights leave LAX too early in the day for a good night's sleep. Coming back should definitely be via an European gateway of your preference and not EWR to avoid clearing US immigration/security at a connection point.
Oh, absolutely on the way back I'd prefer almost anything to any stop in the US for sure. Have Swiss through ZRH on the way back, thankfully.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:29 am

Lufthansa is pretty good about releasing award availability close-in, a week or two out, sometimes just a few days out. You can get a good sense of loads by making a dummy booking and checking the seat map. For an overnight flight I prefer LH's J seat to OS/LX. None of the three is anything close to class-leading, but the LH seats are a bit wider, whereas the Vantage seats on OS/LX are quite narrow in the sleeping position. Austrian has great catering, but sleep comfort is more important on the eastbound flight. (And their wonderful coffee menu is not available in the last few hours of the flight - so just when you'd most want a nice cappuccino, flying eastbound!)
zoechow likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
I would go LAX-EWR-TXL. Intra-European J is terrible and going via EWR will give you a bed the entire trip. Yes, the TATL span is shorter. But, you can eat dinner at the Polaris lounge and skip the meal on the plane and get a little sleep on EWR-LAX in a bed. Also, the EWR transfer will not be as bad as the LHR transfer.
Colin and zoechow like this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 764toHI
This is not entirely correct. The TXL-EWR flight arrives in EWR around noon, before most other TATLs, so even if you don’t have GE you can be done birder formalities within ten minutes.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freemanzhu
Lufthansa is pretty good about releasing award availability close-in, a week or two out, sometimes just a few days out. You can get a good sense of loads by making a dummy booking and checking the seat map. For an overnight flight I prefer LH's J seat to OS/LX. None of the three is anything close to class-leading, but the LH seats are a bit wider, whereas the Vantage seats on OS/LX are quite narrow in the sleeping position. Austrian has great catering, but sleep comfort is more important on the eastbound flight. (And their wonderful coffee menu is not available in the last few hours of the flight - so just when you'd most want a nice cappuccino, flying eastbound!)
Thanks. What I can't recall is whether much LH business class opens LAX -> Germany. But I would switch to it, two weeks out, for sure, if I can get the same day (or otherwise work out my hotel arrangements).

Interesting that you prefer LH for sleep. I've not tried it business. I find OS and LX ok for sleep, but I certainly think it would be possible and desirable to be more comfortable. My worries LH were: listed width on seatguru is actually less; mainly, though, I wouldn't want to be the clamberer or the clamberee, so I'd want the middle on LH, and then I look at that basically shared foot-area and worry...

anyway, thanks!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think everyone who is familiar with FRA would agree that there's typically a pretty long walk though. MUC or ZRH is an easier transfer. I personally would choose LX via ZRH for the better hard product.
After a few T8-TBIT and v/v connections at LAX, it's hard to think of almost anything else as a long walk anymore

To be fair, my FRA connections usually involve a lounge stop halfway through.

Originally Posted by zoechow
Interesting that you prefer LH for sleep. I've not tried it business. I find OS and LX ok for sleep, but I certainly think it would be possible and desirable to be more comfortable. My worries LH were: listed width on seatguru is actually less; mainly, though, I wouldn't want to be the clamberer or the clamberee, so I'd want the middle on LH, and then I look at that basically shared foot-area and worry...
LH is definitely a more roomy seat than LX/OS. Most of this is because there is less bulk keeping you private, so you just get a much more open cabin layout. I have no problem sleeping on LX, but you do end up lowered into a long tube -- ironically I find the seat least comfortable in a lounging position because of all the bulk around you. The "footsie" seats on LH are tolerable, but just a spectacularly dumb design.
zoechow likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I don't understand why my information is "not entirely correct":

- Unless arriving from a pre-clearance departure port, all passengers will clear immigration, customs, claim and re-check your luggage, and re-clear security at your first port of call in the US
- EWR baggage claim at best will take 20 minutes - I've had countless experiences where my priority tagged suitcase took 45+ minutes to arrive on the belt. This will be a big choke point and negates any benefit of an empty customs and immigration hall.
- Terminal C security can be a crapshoot, although it has gotten better recently
- Weather delays, especially this time of the year

I fully stand by recommendation to transit in Europe on the return where you will only have to deal with exit immigration/transit security at the gateway airport. You need to have no checked luggage and everything has to go perfectly for an EWR (and really any US airport) transfer to be on par with connecting in Europe. Furthermore, LX SEN Lounge at ZRH > EWR Polaris lounge IMO.

Originally Posted by LondonElite

This is not entirely correct. The TXL-EWR flight arrives in EWR around noon, before most other TATLs, so even if you don’t have GE you can be done birder formalities within ten minutes.
Xyzzy and zoechow like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.