Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does Polaris allow two or three checked bags?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:02 am
Original Poster

guys

maybe I don’t know how to read but my ticket clearly said teo checkin but in BOM airport for the ua49 flight they informed me I get three checkin and accepted my carryon as checking too.

See attached image. Why the discrepancy? I could have planned differently

fhx
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sam007
guys

maybe I don’t know how to read but my ticket clearly said teo checkin but in BOM airport for the ua49 flight they informed me I get three checkin and accepted my carryon as checking too.
It's right there in the image you posted. "The service charges for standard first, second, and third checked bags (within specified size and weight limits) have been waived based on the fare purchase."
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
The table only has two columns in which to show checked bag fees. That doesn't mean that you have to pay for additional bags. The text below the table says "The service charges for standard first, second and third checked bags ... have been waived." That means you don't have to pay for your first three checked bags.

Note that "check in" doesn't mean "checked bags".
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:50 am
Original Poster

do you guys agree this could be presented in a more idiot-proof fashion? The table lists 1st bag and 2nd bag and that's the first thing you see. Also, am I supposed to assume the 3rd bag weight limit is the same as the 1st two bags because the table doesn't specify that

Lastly, are united awards on these long routes always 3 bags in business? How about coach
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Its normally 2 bags x 70 lb for Polaris and 1 bag x 50 coach. Some spots offer 2 bags x 50 and of course Brazil has its own rules.

Three bags x 70 is a 1k and Platinum perk on all classes. It is also now a perk for Polaris or First for all elites.

ajGoes likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:03 am

do you guys agree this could be presented in a more idiot-proof fashion? The table lists 1st bag and 2nd bag and that's the first thing you see. Also, am I supposed to assume the 3rd bag weight limit is the same as the 1st two bags because the table doesn't specify that
I agree. The system should abandon the table layout for reservations with more than two bags and use a bullet-point layout instead.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ajGoes
I agree. The system should abandon the table layout for reservations with more than two bags and use a bullet-point layout instead.
UGH they make simple complicated.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, United Club, IHG Ambassador/Spire
Originally Posted by aacharya
Its normally 2 bags x 70 lb for Polaris and 1 bag x 50 coach. Some spots offer 2 bags x 50 and of course Brazil has its own rules.

Three bags x 70 is a 1k and Platinum perk on all classes. It is also now a perk for Polaris or First for all elites.

I am seeing for my P (discounted business) international long-haul ticket, it is showing that i can take up to 4 bags at no charge but for GPU-supported upgraded ticket, its showing only 3 bags.
I am 1K
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by fly2lanai
I am seeing for my P (discounted business) international long-haul ticket, it is showing that i can take up to 4 bags at no charge but for GPU-supported upgraded ticket, its showing only 3 bags.
I am 1K
And I think I've seen some elites mention that they qualify for five free bags. Presenting this kind of thing in a table gets clumsier and clumsier as the number of columns increases.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
There's a thread here with some information regarding fourth bag:
New Luggage update? 4 bags 70 lbs Free on United International flight!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:30 am
Original Poster

i'm neither 1k or elite; just a basic mileageplus member. Wondering how I got 3x bags
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
do you guys agree this could be presented in a more idiot-proof fashion? The table lists 1st bag and 2nd bag and that's the first thing you see.
The table makes the assumption (true 99.9% of the time) that nobody is going to check more than two bags

I agree the information is hard to understand if you actually need to check more.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by findark
The table makes the assumption (true 99.9% of the time) that nobody is going to check more than two bags
It's actually far simpler than that.

The DOT requires that United display the fee for the first and second checked bags, so that is exactly what UA does. There is no requirement to display the fee for any additional bags - although obviously UA makes an effort to do that if the third check bag is free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.