Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

5 in res., 1 to drop outbound but need return

Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM 1K/AF Plat/Marriott Titanium/Hertz PC (who isn't?)/National Exec Elite/CFA Signature

The family (3 Silver kids, Gold wife and 1k me) are booked EWR-ORD-EWR, all on same PNR.
But I’m already in Chicago, so I would like to have them fly EWR-ORD without me. Though I would still want to fly the return ORD-EWR with them...
Was going to call 1K desk to ask, but figured FT might a good place to start.
So my question: is this feasible? Or is it a case of splitting me off in a different PNR and I’ll lose my return because I don’t fly the outbound?

Thanks for any advice!

Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM 1K/AF Plat/Marriott Titanium/Hertz PC (who isn't?)/National Exec Elite/CFA Signature
Title is supposed to read “5 in res”, not “red”... Can’t seem to find a way to edit it.
[Moderator edit: Edited the thread title per OP's notes.]
ajGoes likes this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Dec 17, 2018 at 8:42 am Reason: See note above.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Split off the PNR (but wait until the day of flight, in case there's a delay or schedule change allowing you to refund/schedule for free). Then you need to call in to drop the segment and reprice.

Might also be worth it to just book a new o/w.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, if you no show, it will not affect the remaining four. Each passenger has his own e-ticket and the PNR is simply an administrative convenience (especially where everyone has status for purposes of a bag if you are checking at all).

Second, you then have a decision to make. If you do nothing and the EWR-ORD flight is neither cancelled not significantly delayed, you will have no showed and your return to EWR will be cancelled because of the no show. At that point, you will need to purchase a new ticket ORD-EWR. Depending on whether you meet advance purchase requirements and fare bucket availability, that return might be dirt cheap or eye-poppingly expensive. No way to predict in advance. If the flight is delayed or cancelled, you may then cancel your outbound without fee. If you do cancel your outbound and your ticket is thus rebooked, there is at least a $200 change fee and there may be a fare difference as well.

The bottom line is that what you choose to do won't affect your family, but there is no good way of predicting what will happen to you. Thus, it all depends on risk tolerance.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
One slight nuance to the above:

If OP stays on the PNR since all are Elite, the processing of elite upgrades is a good test of the system as is baggage allowance (3 bags x 70 as Gold domestically is 2 bags) and priority boarding (1K versus Gold). Honestly, the verbiage on United is not clear in terms of which priority would apply. If it was one Premier companion, priority is 1K, but one can also read the below as applying the lowest (Silver) priority.

If I were OP, I would book ORD-EWR on miles now and hope for a weather or schedule issue.Companion policy

One companion traveling on a paid ticket on the same reservation as a Premier member is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select flights, and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure. If the companion is a Premier member, the upgrade will be processed according to the highest Premier status level in the reservation.

If a reservation includes three or more travelers, and only one is not a Premier member, the Complimentary Premier Upgrades will be processed according to the lowest Premier status level in the reservation.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Thank you guys for the thorough answers, all makes total sense!
That same flight is available as a saver award, so I'll book that as a just-in-case and see what happens.

Thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Gate45
Thank you guys for the thorough answers, all makes total sense!
That same flight is available as a saver award, so I'll book that as a just-in-case and see what happens.

Thanks!
Not sure if award tix are different but I just learned the hard way that UA’s systems scan for simultaneous bookings and cancel one of them without further ado. Had this happen twice in the past month. I guess it’s one of the ‘benefits’ you get for identifying yourself by your MP #.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1k Million Miler
If you are 1K why isn't your wife also 1K under the companion benefit?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by n9536j
If you are 1K why isn't your wife also 1K under the companion benefit?
Companion status is only granted for 1K earned via the Million Miler program, correct? Regular yearly qualified 1K cannot nominate companion status.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by B747SP
Companion status is only granted for 1K earned via the Million Miler program, correct? Regular yearly qualified 1K cannot nominate companion status.
this. Must be 1M to select a companion for status.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Not sure if award tix are different but I just learned the hard way that UA’s systems scan for simultaneous bookings and cancel one of them without further ado.
No different. Two tickets for one person on the same flight, regardless of payment type, are subject to cancellation.
Kannai, jsloan and narvik like this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
It’s taking a chance, but could OP just have his wife scan his boarding pass on the way out and claim that they wanted an extra seat?

Note that I’ve never done the Extra Seat thing so I know very little about how it works.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by phkc070408
It’s taking a chance, but could OP just have his wife scan his boarding pass on the way out and claim that they wanted an extra seat?,,,
The GA should not allow that and it will mess up the departure headcount.

Originally Posted by phkc070408
Note that I’ve never done the Extra Seat thing so I know very little about how it works.
See How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.