Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2 years later: Polaris Hype vs. Actual - Is it worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Saw the following advert still up at the BOS UC on 12/14/18:

Some version of "Polaris" arrived to grand fanfare two years ago this month. That being said, what was promised/hyped vs. what has been delivered vs. what's now being offered are different things to different people on FT.

What was UA Global First is almost gone. What is now offered to International travellers on UA as Polaris isn't terribly consistent and its branding continues to be confused. Hard product retrofits still not done and lounges are still behind schedule. Soft product is both inconsistent and cut backs from what was promised/hyped keep happening.

It is clear that UA's move away from a F product to a J-type "experience" is what management thought (or was sold as) would be a differentiator and potentially be a great moneymaker.

For those who've purchased/purchasing these J-class fares - do you think it is worth it? Should we expect anything better in terms of value of service provided?

David
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
The full Polaris experience is worth the hype IMO. Weakest part is probably the ex-USA catering. I much prefer the meals out of Asia.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:59 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Polaris is a great experience. It's sad to lose F, but UA's F was always pretty lousy. Polaris is a huge improvement over the old J, and at the old J prices or even better I'm pretty happy.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DELee

For those who've purchased/purchasing these J-class fares - do you think it is worth it?
Of course. The new Polaris lounges and new Polaris layout are awesome - I'm confused, what is your specific issue?
chavala, DutchessPDX and mellon like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
The full Polaris experience is worth the hype IMO. Weakest part is probably the ex-USA catering. I much prefer the meals out of Asia.
I would not say all the meals out of Asia are better. The Beijing and Shanghai caterings are underwhelming based on my monthly flights.Caterings out of NRT/HND/SIN/MEL are pretty decent. I have not flown UA out of HKG for awhile and never out of ICN and TPE.EX-LHR is also pretty good.Ex-UA catering is inconsistent between the hubs. During one month this year, I had three flights out of SFO, ORD and IAD to the same destination in Asia. I ordered the same entrée on each flight, they came out differently in terms of taste, portion and presentation (I guess that is on FA not catering). EWR's Chelsea Kitchen seem to do a better job than GateGourmet.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
It is still what just 30% implemented? Combining fleet and lounge completion %

And it has been cut back (soft product) multiple times.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
The meals ex-FRA are also better than the meals ex-IAD, at least IME.
Artpen100 and SkiPremier like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
I will assure you the catering Ex-Beijing is pretty .......

I like it for the most part, only downside is the area under the seat doesn't really have space for my clown sized feet. Also, some of the Flight Attendants suck
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Overall I love it. Every once in a great-while I'll have a sub-par FA, but other than that UA did a really good job here. Of concern is that they have cut away at the soft product a bit, I hope that doesn't continue.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Far too long is revamping the aircraft and lounges. Two years and the 777-200 fleet and 767 are still not redone.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
It's disappointing to see the product cut back already, but I wouldn't go back to the old way. By this point two years ago, the existing international premium cabins of BF/GF had been cut to a pretty substandard level... we aren't quite back to the days of Dom, caviar and Godiva in United First.

For these reasons, I think we're still better off:

- 4 (soon to be 5) Polaris lounges at major domestic gateways. The best lounge product UA has ever offered. They got it right.
- Bedding onboard is much better than before (mattress pad, gel pillow, duvet, plus PJs in certain markets)
- 45 airplanes on property with Polaris seats and 7 more in mod, the pace is picking up

Mistakes clearly were made, but this never could have been an overnight process. Truth be told, we would be highly critical of United regardless of their Polaris roll-out strategy.
tuolumne, pilot007, narvik and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
Far too long is revamping the aircraft and lounges. Two years and the 777-200 fleet and 767 are still not redone.
Compared to previous UA retrofits, it’s actually not that bad.
EWR764 and n198ua like this.

Last edited by dinoscool3; Dec 17, 2018 at 4:48 am
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
New seats, new lounges -- great improvement. So, hard product (when you get an actual polaris aircraft) is improved greatly.

The service/soft product aspect was rolled out and then virtually all rolled back. Plus, can't fix grumpy flight attendants who get visually annoyed when you ask for anything. Soft product is still a C- or C at best.

Combine that with the new seats and lounges gets UA to a C+ in my book.
porciuscato and TexasAggie02 like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
Mistakes clearly were made, but this never could have been an overnight process. Truth be told, we would be highly critical of United regardless of their Polaris roll-out strategy.
Yes, mistakes were made - the PDB "glass" was a nice idea that didn't survive contact with reality, and appropriate changes to the bedding have been good course corrections. Now that the conversions have been ramped up - along with the addition of a true PE product - I'm not critical of UA on that front.

Where I am critical is the reversion to cheapness in the food and drink product. If you're going to make Polaris your signature up front product, serving smaller food portions and cheaper wines than were first rolled out just smacks of a low rent mentality. pmUA served decent wine, and pmCO served pretty good food, and instead of the best of both carriers, we get pm-UA quality food and pmCO-quality wine. All to make Wall Street happy.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
The hard product and the lounges are great. What was poorly done were the expectations set about the rollout. That’s a marketing problem that, based upon UA’s ‘historic’ announcement about INTL routes that fell way short, still exists in spades today.
EricH and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.